Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: ...Is that it?  (Read 3668 times)

peekama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ...Is that it?
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2008, 01:25:45 pm »

I've never had a megabeast. Ever.

I had a fort go 24 years once, and still nothing.
I feel like I'm missing out :(
It'd be cool if unicorn refuse gives off rainbow miasma.
It should totally bleed the laughter of children, too.

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2008, 01:37:13 pm »

You're not missing much unless you've modded them.

Borgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2008, 04:43:39 pm »

I always imagined Bronze Colossi to be the most dangerous Megabeasts. In some of my older versions I had modded in a couple (dozen) new Megabeasts, from Black Dragons to Mythril Colossi. Basically just pumped up stats and whatnot, but I never saw them spawn (after all, this pathetic dragon WAS my first Megabeast!). Maybe I'll add them back in and gen up a new world. Too bad I'll lose my fantastic fortress. :(

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2008, 07:52:20 pm »

My first megabeast (a titan) busted into my fortress, killed about 10 or so dwarves and a few war dogs, got caught in a cage trap, got released, killed a peasant, and got hacked apart by my entire surviving military.

One of the first dwarves the titan killed was a marksdwarf with five children. The marksdwarve's current helpless baby died of thirst, and one of it's siblings committed suicide shortly after.

Another marksdwarf got post traumatic stress disorder and kept being "Interrupted by Titan" every single turn, even when the titan was gone. Eventually, I killed the dwarf with a wooden spike to put it out of it's misery.

Coincidentally, the titan was released and killed during several simultaneous ambushes. About 30 goblins swarmed a few of my miners and a pump operator and killed all of them. At the time, they were trying to damn a river that I had accidentally started flooding the valley with. Of course, the river did not get dammed in time, and now it would be nearly impossible to successfully dam it. My entire military was tied up at the time, so I couldn't do anything about the goblins.

Currently, I have a wall of water surging towards my biggest food stockpile's entrance. Unfortunately, my bedroom complex shares this entrance.

Ugh.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2008, 07:57:10 pm »

@inaluct. Losing is fun, right?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2008, 07:58:11 pm »

Well, worse things have happened to this fort. I think it'll survive.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2008, 09:03:48 pm »

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2008, 01:09:04 am »

RE the "weak megabeast" issue

As I understand the recent dev_now update, megabeasts should become quite terrifying in the next release.  Hits that used to deal minor damage will be more likely to deal no damage, instead causing minor scratches/scars.  I suppose well-armed/extremely strong Champions and wrestler zerging (strangling is so good it's broken) may still be effective.

Actually, scratch the wrestler swarm.  Strangling just deals minor damage to the throat, so that'll probably be covered by the scarring system.  Yeah, mighty beasts of legend will probably be worthy opponents next release.

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2008, 01:36:50 am »

The colossus is the only megabeast worthy of ph34r.  I got lucky with mine -- my fort had stood several years giving me nothing to do but re-re-reinforce the defenses.  By the time the colossus came I had every path into the fort sewn with iron axe blades, with one square in every corridor a 10-bladed "colossus killer".

It was more like a colossus wounder.  He went light gray in several places in an impressive display of indifference to axe blades, but as my dwarves swarmed it he stepped back and then forth onto the 10-blader as he maneuvered to fight my incoming soldiers.  Conservatively, then, it takes 40 giant axe blade strokes to bring down a colossus -- and they all need to happen in a very short period of time, as the colossus heals quickly.

Other megabeasts are pushovers.  Critical damage is the real problem: one spiked wooden ball stands a really good chance of crippling a dragon.  Marksdwarves will annihilate any creature that needs its internal organs intact.  Even Hydras only have 1 heart.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

Dogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2008, 03:43:45 am »

I modded my megabeasts to be on average size 300, with 80 damblock and 6:12 base damage on their attacks. Mostly it was to help them live through world-gen. I haven't had a fort long enough to face one of these mega-megabeasts though, so I have no idea how suicidally difficult I made them.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2008, 04:24:34 am »

HFS Spoiler:

Summary: In order for things to be tough, they obviously need some sort of resistance to crossbows. Or ranged attacks of their own.

:::gasp:::
Imagine a megabeast with some sort of multitarget crossbow type attack! Now THAT would be evil.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2008, 04:43:08 am »

Crossbows essentially are in need of some balancing, they are extremely powerful to the point of overwhelming other weapons even when they might not logically have a tactical advantage.

For example, the firing rate of a trained marksdwarf makes it so that the reload time normally exposing them to melee attacks from skirmishers is nonexistant. They spit crossbow bolts like they were watermelon seeds and they had a mouthful of them.

NTheGreat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2008, 07:14:37 am »

The most damage a megabeast has recently done to one of my forts is when a dragon burnt down the main bridge into the fortress.

It takes far too long to build a 8 by 10 bridge out of stone blocks when there's only one dwarf doing it...

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2008, 07:49:38 am »

HFS Spoiler:

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2008, 09:32:54 am »

NO DRAGON CAN WITHSTAND THE MIGHT OF MY CAGE TRAPS.....i love cagetraps.... only traps i use
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.
Pages: 1 [2] 3