Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: "How Dare You Give Us A 9/10!!!" LBP Overhyped  (Read 12725 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "How Dare You Give Us A 9/10!!!" LBP Overhyped
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2008, 12:25:35 pm »

The rating system is interesting in the sense that 7 is average when that is what 5 is supposed to represent

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2008, 12:40:58 pm »

Personal opinion...

Halo-Good story.Gameplay pretty nice.Community sucks(the ones that talk at least).Horrible balance on the weapons,I'll never forgive bungee for what they did to the shotgun in halo 3.
Halo 2 is the best of the series in my opinion.
The hype is excessive.

Half-life-Wonderful story.Good modibility(something halo will never have).Gameplay pretty nice.Community... mixed bag,a good deal of nice people,but some jackasses and hackers roam the lot.Weapons are pretty good.Great method of playing out cinematic scenes without taking control from the player.
Overall I feel the hype is well earned.
Idiom,you are looking for straight shooter mechanics,this game is not memorable for that,the story it self is and and puzzles,don't forget those.You don't like suspenseful plots and I understand that.However I think LOST is far worse about that than this game.

LBP-I'll never play this,there is no way I'm going to afford a ps3 anytime soon,and even then LBP is low on my list of games to purchase.

Gears-Not exactly crazy about the story.Modibility,I'm not sure what that is like for the PC,but I know there's no point for the xbox.Gameplay,clunky,but the guns are satisfying.Community,rather smaller than I anticipated,some similarities to halo,but on a lesser magnitude.Weapons,satisfying,I already said that,yay,moving on.Blarg scenes.
Hype,overrated.Ok I guess,but there are many games I'd rather enjoy.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 12:43:19 pm by SHAD0Wdump »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2008, 12:42:49 pm »

I think the original Half-life had the best level design then any of the sequels and spin offs.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2008, 12:59:43 pm »

The 'puzzles' in HL were hardly puzzles. The great level design flattened any puzzling, and it wasn't much above figuring what order to punch buttons.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2008, 01:06:05 pm »

SHAD0Wdump, you seem to not know about CoD4. You also seem to not know about multiplayer Halo. I find these facts disturbing.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2008, 01:23:30 pm »

Saying LOST is more confusing than something is like saying the universe is larger than something. It is like saying 1=1.

It's a universal constant.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2008, 01:44:17 pm »

You don't like suspenseful plots and I understand that.However I think LOST is far worse about that than this game.
Half Life is not suspenseful. Nor is LOST. They both tried to hard. I LIKE suspenseful plots, but only when they go somewhere within at least a couple of games. HL tries to look like it's suspenseful, and going somewhere, but it really hasn't.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2008, 01:59:09 pm »

Well, this thread got derailed pretty badly. Now that I've stated the obvious, i shall continue to defend HL's rightful titles of being AWESOME.

HL was released in 1997, 11 years now, created by Valve and published by Sierra. Now, without beginning to wonder what the world of online gaming/direct downloading would have been like without Valve, I have to say that HL was the defining FPS. Its what brought the most to the genre in one step. First of all, it had amazing graphics for its time. The AI was beyond imagination, in a time where DooM-esk enemines ran at you, and never stopped (even for walls), the marines in HL for example worked together to nab you, never before heard of in an FPS. The story was quite frankly groundbreaking for its time, heres a game in a sea of other shoot'em'ups whose biggest plot climax is "You got a BFG." This is a game where the story was thought out, an ddelivered in a way that wasn't too confusing but still had a lovely sense of mystery, "Who is this G-man caracter?" for example. Not to mention the realism the game brought. Weapons were no longer spinning and floating in the air waiting for you to pick them up. You had to search for them. Use them tactically. It spawned some truly amazing sequels, Opposing Forces is quite arguably the same level of AWESOME as HL 1 is. Blue shift, not so much, it was short but sweet.

The multiplayer side is frankly too big to start on. It spawned amazing classics such as Team Fortress/Counter-strike/Sven Co-op/Natural Instincts, the list is endless frankly.
It then funded the company to creat the epic that was the Source Engine. That needs to mention of how amazing it is.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2008, 05:07:01 pm »

SHAD0Wdump, you seem to not know about CoD4. You also seem to not know about multiplayer Halo. I find these facts disturbing.
Yeah,I don't know much about cod,don't care to bother really.

As for not knowing about halo multiplayer,"community sucks" sums my opinion on it well enough.

Well, this thread got derailed pretty badly. Now that I've stated the obvious, i shall continue to defend HL's rightful titles of being AWESOME.

HL was released in 1997, 11 years now, created by Valve and published by Sierra. Now, without beginning to wonder what the world of online gaming/direct downloading would have been like without Valve, I have to say that HL was the defining FPS. Its what brought the most to the genre in one step. First of all, it had amazing graphics for its time. The AI was beyond imagination, in a time where DooM-esk enemines ran at you, and never stopped (even for walls), the marines in HL for example worked together to nab you, never before heard of in an FPS. The story was quite frankly groundbreaking for its time, heres a game in a sea of other shoot'em'ups whose biggest plot climax is "You got a BFG." This is a game where the story was thought out, an ddelivered in a way that wasn't too confusing but still had a lovely sense of mystery, "Who is this G-man caracter?" for example. Not to mention the realism the game brought. Weapons were no longer spinning and floating in the air waiting for you to pick them up. You had to search for them. Use them tactically. It spawned some truly amazing sequels, Opposing Forces is quite arguably the same level of AWESOME as HL 1 is. Blue shift, not so much, it was short but sweet.

The multiplayer side is frankly too big to start on. It spawned amazing classics such as Team Fortress/Counter-strike/Sven Co-op/Natural Instincts, the list is endless frankly.
It then funded the company to creat the epic that was the Source Engine. That needs to mention of how amazing it is.
Yup,it derailed,continuing!

The marines 'nabbing' you was a scripted event,one of the few sections where you couldn't control your character.The actual actions the marines took otherwise were good though.

Weapons as usual were not hidden,they were along your path pretty much.
But yes,not spinning in the air.
Using them tactically really applies the most on the harder difficulty settings,on easy it can be a run and gun affair,so be aware of that.

Half-life was very moddable so multiplayer was very good,still is.

The 'puzzles' in HL were hardly puzzles. The great level design flattened any puzzling, and it wasn't much above figuring what order to punch buttons.
Oh sure they weren't brain busters,but they were a good break from run and shoot.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 05:09:36 pm by SHAD0Wdump »

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2008, 05:14:33 pm »

I have to say that I only bought HL2 last month. From what I have played so-far (through the original and halfway through ep 1), it definitely stands up to the hype. There have been so many memorable parts, like
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2008, 05:17:23 pm »

Nope, I genuinly think its one of the best FPS's out there.

Oh I agree with that completely.  The other thing you said though was flat out wrong.  Have you ever heard of Wolfenstein 3D?
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2008, 05:23:39 pm »

Nah, I'd say Goldeneye 007 did a lot for the FPS genre, if only for bringing the sniper rifle and the headshot.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2008, 05:38:53 pm »

Nah, I'd say Goldeneye 007 did a lot for the FPS genre, if only for bringing the sniper rifle and the headshot.

I think it was the shooter that popularised hit locations for human beings.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2008, 07:36:23 pm »

Nope... That was MDK on the PC.

And as great as Goldeneye was, all it really did was prove that console FPS's could technically be good.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 07:38:55 pm by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2008, 07:46:22 pm »

...And Halo proved that they could be great.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5