Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: "How Dare You Give Us A 9/10!!!" LBP Overhyped  (Read 12724 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"How Dare You Give Us A 9/10!!!" LBP Overhyped
« on: October 16, 2008, 11:44:27 pm »

So apperantly I live in the twilight zone where reviews that end with a 9/10 are horrible

Now I am not speaking about the game being horrible and thus being a dishonest review. I am speaking of the game getting a 9 and people wanting a 9.5!?!

This is what I am observing down at GameFAQs on the LittleBigPlanet Forums

Personally when a game gets a 9 and people complain it should be higher, then the game is obviously overhyped.

Though there are people who are moderate to say "a 9 is GOOD!!!" there are five times as many going nuts.

Someone's Complaint about Gamespots 9/10
First, I should say that a 9.0/10 is by no means a bad score. However, gamespot should reward innovation as everyone except those overly pessimistic Euro sites has done already (see Metacritic for proof) and give this game a 9.5 or higher. Gamespot has essentially given a game that may change the future of console games and is the best implementation of user generated content to date the same score as NHL 09. You can bet your bottom dollar that when Gears of War 2 hits, Gamespot will be eager to hand out a 9.5 or higher. Gears of War 2 certainly represents a revolution itself. Afterall, nobody has ever made a game in which WWF looking guys run around and shoot aliens. Way to reward innovation, Gamespot, and push the medium forward. In the end, it won't matter to the metacritic score which should settle out around 9.7 or so when its all over. Lucky for us alot of the smaller sites still don't have an agenda (like Gamespot). If the site is willing to fire Jeff Gerstmann over a low review score, I certainly wouldn't put it past them to give the PS3's #1 exclusive (and no doubt GOTY for many other sites) a low score as part of their agenda. Way to continue to reward the same old, tired "insert big space marine here" shooters while not rewarding innovation, Gamespot. Nice journalism!!

My Response:
I am getting really tired of this Flagrant Gamespot flaming. There are a few times you argue against a review.

"give this game a 9.5 or higher."
-A 9 is just as good as a 9.5 and better then a 10. This is of course backed up by several studies. A 10/10 is considered untrustworthy while a 9/10 seems.

"same score as NHL 09."
-NHL: 09 is judged on the standards of its genre which is seperate from the standards given to LittleBigPlanet. Especially since a Hockey game is constrained to its genre while Littlebigplanet is not. Thus you cannot treat the score system as the same in both instances.

"Way to reward innovation"
-Yeah curse you gamespot for giving LBP a 6/10... Wait it was a 9? ohh nevermind.

"9.7 or so when its all over."
-You know, is there a point to having a score out of 10 if people can constantly betray it with point somethings?

"Lucky for us alot of the smaller sites still don't have an agenda"
-A lot of other sites have the Agenda of trying to seem more legitimate by pleasing the Fanboys and ignoring the general public because the General public is less likely to complain that they overhyped a game.

"If the site is willing to fire Jeff Gerstmann over a low review score"
-Didn't they already go on record as saying this wasn't true? Didn't they also leave the score up?

"Way to continue to reward the same old, tired "insert big space marine here" shooters"
-For the most part I think your rather biased against the Gears of War for relying on several game steriotypes. If the game is fun then it is good no matter how steriotypical it is. Gamespot does also punish games for being too derogative.

"not rewarding innovation"
-So what? A 8 is HORRIBLE!?! a 9 is amazing as I said before there is no difference between a 9 and a 9.5 and they are both better then a 10.

"Nice journalism!!"
-For once we agree!

So as you can tell I am being driven insane.

I am taking a risk posting it here as there is no guarentee that people here are any different (In fact the Spore topic only needed to have 100 people complaining about DRM non-stop to be a clone of the GameFAQ forums when Spore was just released). But I think it is interesting.

On ANOTHER note: What birds can be plucked without killing/harming the bird?

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "How Dare You Give Us A 9/10!!!" LBP Overhyped
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 12:08:22 am »

Well, it's a result of Sony's poor sales. A lot of the Sony fanboys are on the defensive over LBP and MGS4.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 12:21:06 am »

And I think Half-Life is overrated, but no-one believes me.

Does thinking you're the last sane man on the planet make you crazy?

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 12:24:52 am »

No, it's definitely overrated. You aren't alone in thinking that.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 12:28:13 am »

Try saying that on a regular forum, inaluct. You'd be run out on a rail.

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 12:40:35 am »

I never played it so I can't say if it's overrated or not.

But the fanboys are complete, and total idiots.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 01:13:45 am »

Any game that expects the user to come up with the creative process is bound not to get a 10, in my opinion.

I recently read the review, and they did say that it will take a lot of work to match up to the standards of the creators. Besides which, reviews are a recomendation, and there are horrible camera moments in LBP when playing multi-player.

In no way does it earn a 10, because, like most games, it has its flaws.

BradB

• Bay Watcher
  • I hate this site, it keeps me from playing!
    • View Profile
    • An awesome gaming news ticker, woweee!
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 01:47:21 am »

I myself find Halo overrated. I'm not crazy am I?

Halo 1 was fine, an average game, nothing too special. Why is it that everyone says "hAH LOL HaLO IZ DAH beHSt!!!!" I find it average and repetative. I have hardly played 2 and 3, but by all accounts they just generally suck.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 02:07:12 am »

I myself find Halo overrated. I'm not crazy am I?

Halo 1 was fine, an average game, nothing too special. Why is it that everyone says "hAH LOL HaLO IZ DAH beHSt!!!!" I find it average and repetative. I have hardly played 2 and 3, but by all accounts they just generally suck.
Because it's the first game they played with adequate 4+ person multiplayer.

Not great, but decent.

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 07:09:28 am »

You might want to take a look at this article. Turns out there's a name for this sort of thing; the "Doctrine of Insufficient Adulation".

http://machinist.salon.com/feature/2008/03/18/true_enough_excerpt_2/
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 07:25:57 am »

You might want to take a look at this article. Turns out there's a name for this sort of thing; the "Doctrine of Insufficient Adulation".

http://machinist.salon.com/feature/2008/03/18/true_enough_excerpt_2/

Yeah this is pretty much what is happening.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 05:10:51 am »

This is all a result of what I believe is called "Score Inflation."  Back in the nineties scores of 9 were uncommon, and scores of 10 were nearly unheard of.  For some reason though, perhaps as a result of pressure from increasingly more powerful game makers scored started to get higher and higher despite games not necessarily getting better.  Now of course gaming is pretty much mainstream.  It's overwhelmed by people who pay more attention to the hype for a game than the actual details, all they really care about is who can tell them most convincingly that their game will be the umpteenth coming of Jesus Christ, trust us.

Think of it as a condensed version of an election.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 06:06:33 am »

"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Xehon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2008, 07:11:38 am »

Theoretically a small dose of radiation would do the trick. The bird wouldn't feel a thing, except for a bit of nausea, which would pass after a while, and shock from loosing the feathers. Not that I condone such actions...

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2008, 07:43:25 am »

It's just kind of like asking "Hey, know if there's a country where you can pull out people's hair and fingernails with pliers and they won't mind?"

Or to put it another way, no bird that exists outside of Tom & Jerry cartoons.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5