Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: "How Dare You Give Us A 9/10!!!" LBP Overhyped  (Read 12709 times)

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "How Dare You Give Us A 9/10!!!" LBP Overhyped
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2008, 10:54:59 pm »

Nah, I'd say Goldeneye 007 did a lot for the FPS genre, if only for bringing the sniper rifle and the headshot.

Nope... That was MDK on the PC.

And as great as Goldeneye was, all it really did was prove that console FPS's could technically be good.

Except MDK was a third-person shooter. HAH. Nah, I jest. They both came out at such close times (4 months), that I wouldn't say one really copied the other. Otherwise, it would be like saying Metal Gear Solid invented sneaking when Thief: The Dark Project came out a month later. :P

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2008, 11:01:37 pm »

The multiplayer community wasn't all that bad for the first Halo, for the most part you could easily find games where everyone worked together and had fun. Boarding action with no portals allowed, Sidewinder/the forest one with all snipers and no sheilds were awsome.

Halo 3... good god. When you have rankings, kill to death ratio, number of deaths, levels, accuracy %, number of kills, 429 achivements, it's worse than runescape. LOL YOU NOOB U CANT HEADSHOT HA HA.... Nobody ever wants to have fun, they all want to try and prove that they can get more kills then everyone else. I seriously hear my friends calling each other noobs in real life because one of them beat the other at Halo 3. It makes meh sad :(
Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2008, 12:06:38 am »

...And Halo proved that they could be great.

And you sir have never played Doom. (And Doom 2)

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2008, 12:16:09 am »

Last time I checked, most people played Doom on their computer. He was talking about console games.  :P

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2008, 01:10:45 am »

Well there are a few on other systems.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2008, 01:14:44 am »

Yeah, but none of them really slammed the public conscious  about the potential that consoles had like Halo did. They were decent games, like Doom64 and the like, but they didn't change very many opinions. Halo CE convinced a lot of people that playing games on a console could be just as good, if not better, than playing on a computer.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2008, 03:53:33 am »

Halo convinced me that with enough money and greed anything is possible. :D
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2008, 11:04:30 am »

Halo was amazing I admit, but Halo is better by default. Without going into all the nancy fancy graphics are better blah blah blah. I feel it made the leap that Halo 2 should have done. By making a sequel to the first game instead of a very weird rip of where everything was just plain weird. The campaign felt more like Halo CE's, the multiplayer is alot more sluggish which is good for a game like Halo, and barring the online community of "noob" throwers people there are very nice and very fun to play with.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2008, 11:39:31 am »

And the Legacy of Halo isn't done... They still have a Sequel (I don't believe them for a second when they said it was the last Halo) and Halo Wars (a weak strategy game that plays quite a bit like company of heros)

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2008, 11:46:08 am »

All this talk about FPS's and not one mention of Ghost Recon? Still my favorite. Only FPS to ever make me jump when my character got shot...
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2008, 12:32:49 pm »

And the Legacy of Halo isn't done... They still have a Sequel (I don't believe them for a second when they said it was the last Halo) and Halo Wars (a weak strategy game that plays quite a bit like company of heros)

I don't think it'll be weak, it'll be generic which is completely fine for a console due to the _complete_ lack of them on the controller based platform(s).

And yeah, Ghost recon was quite fun. Oh and theres RBSV which imho was one of the best games out on the 360 so far.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2008, 12:43:07 pm »

The fact that the Jeeps don't run over enemies is SAD!!!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2008, 01:27:18 pm »

All this talk about FPS's and not one mention of Ghost Recon? Still my favorite. Only FPS to ever make me jump when my character got shot...

I only jump if the shot surprises me, but STALKER and Red Orchestra seem to provoke very real reactions when I get shot at.  I immediately go into full adrenaline-mode when I hear a shot, and I involuntarily duck in real life when a bullet goes past my head.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 01:28:50 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2008, 02:27:18 pm »

...nah, the real Shooters we need to remember are Starsiege Tribes and Deus Ex. Truly those were classics.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2008, 02:30:30 pm »

Yeah but Starsiege Tribes was killed by Piracy anyhow (or so I hear) though its sequel did improve Shooters in ways that games STILL havn't caught on (Looking at you Halo and your Buggy made Plastic and the Essence of tipping over)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5