Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Amphibious Race  (Read 1932 times)

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
Amphibious Race
« on: October 16, 2008, 05:02:39 pm »

I'm planning on making one, but I have one big question before I start learning how to put together an entire civ - Will a race with [AMPHIBIOUS] tags willingly path into water?  I know dwarfs won't, but I'm wondering if that's a hardcoded limitation or just them not wanting to drown.  Anyone care to test with a quick [AMPHIBIOUS] dwarf?
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
Re: Amphibious Race
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 05:05:22 pm »

Actually I'm not sure this is true for dwarves; I modded a race of fire-dwarves to be immune to magma and never have to breathe, and they happily jumped into the magma tube and swam around killing imps when drafted.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 05:08:06 pm »

Actually I'm not sure this is true for dwarves; I modded a race of fire-dwarves to be immune to magma and never have to breathe, and they happily jumped into the magma tube and swam around killing imps when drafted.

Military dwarves love to swim in magma no matter what kind of raw edits you've made.

They're kinda stupid that way.

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 05:33:32 pm »

I had several wade in to clean up...molten metal, charred corpses? I wound up having to kill the cleaning job on all of the survivors. Not that it mattered, it was a test to see how long it took to obsidianize a pipe. :) Lossa crashes.
End the slaughter of dorf kittens!
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
-Albert Schweitzer

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 07:44:52 pm »

I think they'll path through water, but cancel due to dangerous terrain if it's over one level deep.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 10:32:24 pm »

But they might repath it. I had a woodcutter cancel on account of dangerous terrain when cutting down a tree by a pond. He later drown trying to get the same tree.
End the slaughter of dorf kittens!
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
-Albert Schweitzer

Himmelhand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 01:25:36 am »

They'll path through it, but will cancel for dangerous terrain, even though it might as well be air for all they care, assuming no carp.

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 03:24:45 am »

Yeah, they won't path through it properly. The same thing happens if you try to run a fortress as a flying race, they can't path flying properly yet either

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 04:13:54 am »

What if you added [SWIM_INNATE] to the creature or being

Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 12:43:48 pm »

Same trouble still.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2008, 05:09:39 pm »

For shits and giggles, make an entity with [AQUATIC] instead of [AMPHIBIOUS] and watch them alternate between trying to run onto land to gasp for air, then realize they're suffocating and rush back to the water.