Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: To Activate Or Not To Activate?  (Read 1586 times)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
To Activate Or Not To Activate?
« on: October 16, 2008, 04:55:25 pm »

1. Given that if you activate a dwarf instructed to carry weapons or armour and the enemy is closer than said items, they'll take on a whole goblin ambush as-is, is it not sometimes more useful to let the dwarf in question leg it home and hopefully draw the ambush towards your carefully-prepared array of traps and marksdwarf posts with overlapping fields of fire?

2. Given that a kobold invariably takes off like a rocket if discovered, is it worth activating the nearest dwarf and gambling against the little sod getting a lucky stab in for a mediocre weapon and a couple of items of clothing that you might conceivably sell to a trader for spare change? (Not applicable if said kobold is only located after grabbing something you care about losing.)

Discuss.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: To Activate Or Not To Activate?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 05:36:29 pm »

Depends if there are gobby archers, then it doesnt matter if he runs or not....he will die either way
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 07:38:54 pm »

Always kill the kobolds. It's not about the risk/reward tradeoff; it's about punishing those who would dare try to steal from your fortress.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 08:19:39 pm »

Plus, the more they steal, the more'll come. Reference the story of the poor dwarven expedition whose anvil was stolen by kobolds in their first year; in their second, they were swarmed by kobold ambushes and annihilated.

The first point is reasonable, though.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 08:58:58 pm »

Kobold ambushes?  Sweet! I'm letting them take anything they want!

Refar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 01:24:22 am »

Also they never actually run home and "towards your carefully-prepared array".  >:(
Today on Home Improvement TV:
Urist Twolefthand, Dabbling Mechanic, assembles a 10x Crossbow weapon trap.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 01:58:41 am »

Just give everyone a little training with axes, and make all non miners woodcutters. Oh, and if you can somehow hunt all wandering animals to extinction, you could make everyone hunters too, and give them leather Armour...
Magma is overrated.

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 04:15:51 am »

Kobold ambushes?  Sweet! I'm letting them take anything they want!

I love kobold ambushes - I usually keep the fortress drawbridges up and gates locked at the moment, so any thieves who arrive make off with armour and clothes from the various dead traders and goblins lying around outside.  As the kobolds must be getting quite rich from all those narrow giant cave spider silk items, they tend to arrive in ambushes a lot.

Er, and die a lot, too.
Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 04:01:20 pm »

*harrumph* Did you guys not read as far as the part where I said, "Not applicable if said kobold is only located after grabbing something you care about losing" in point two? ;) When they're half-way across the map from the fortress when they're spotted, I tend to just let them run; closer to the fortress it's another matter.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 04:10:57 pm »

Just pull the switch to completely enclose the map, then let the games begin...

Bwahahahaha haha!

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2008, 01:42:37 am »

I love how kobolds will run right up to the raised bridge then stand there for a while praying that it lowers.

I used to put retractable spikes in the "place of contemplation" at the foot of the bridge so I could skewer the kobold as he stared at the spot the bridge used to be, but using a nerve-damaged Swordsdwarf to slice him up gives experience and a happy thought to your soldier.
"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 04:59:20 am »

Always kill the kobolds. It's not about the risk/reward tradeoff; it's about punishing those who would dare try to steal from your fortress.
Aye, I do this if I have someone fast enough to catch the thieving little bastards but my meeting area is often a considerable distance from the trap corridor with a chained puppy that actually spots the kobold, so unless the puppy can kill it before it bolts (which I've yet to see happen; in my current game my guard puppy was only able to get into combat with one kobold of the dozen or so that arrived - it took a couple of chunks out of the kobold and got cut on its head before the kobold managed to get away), they usually get to escape with their lives. No point drafting and sending an inexperienced dwarf out when I know there's very little chance of them successfully catching and killing the thief.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Refar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 05:45:03 am »

From my experience 3 chaned dogs (in my 3 wide main entrance / wagon access corridor) will spot and eat every Cobold/Sntacher.

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2008, 06:04:33 am »

Eh, the question is moot most of the time for me.  Usually it's a stray cat that spots the k and it runs off anyway.

They are skittish things.

Refar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2008, 06:07:52 am »

Well... If he got spotted by a cot (or wildlife ???) somewhere outside with no one even near... I don't think there is much to discuss about - oyu just can't  catch them. In the plus-side - they did not have the chance to steal nothing yet.
Pages: [1] 2