Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anybody else miss the old 2D version?  (Read 1956 times)

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Anybody else miss the old 2D version?
« on: October 16, 2008, 03:14:12 pm »

Don't get me wrong, I like the new 3D worlds and all the new features.  It's actually fun to look for the perfect spot with wood, ore and other fun stuff before I start a fortress.

The problem is that sometimes simpler is better.  For example, my younger brother has been out of the country for the past 2 years.  I just recently introduced him to DF.  The problem is that he hasn't seen anything that is very exciting in the game that makes him keep coming back.

I REALLY miss knowing that I was going to hit the river, then the chasm, then the magma.  I miss knowing that there was bound to be something exciting really soon.  Now, there's no guarantee of finding anything fun when building the fortress.

Sometimes having a 3D fortress is a chore because you have to think in, well...3D.  Sometimes I just want to quickly start up a fortress and know that I will have wood, and plump helmets (need subterranean water), proper minerals and chasm invaders.

So what I wish is that Toady would include the option in the game to swich on a "quick mode" that had everything we needed on a 2D map.

Lord Licorice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/
Re: Anybody else miss the old 2D version?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 03:22:56 pm »

It's interesting that you bring this up, since Toady's latest post on Recent Developments addresses this very wish:

Quote from: Toady
All right, sorting out the underground revisions... we'd like to get a framework in place that can recapture some of the better properties of the 2D version without conceding any ground. The general idea is to set up a few world gen params that will allow you to control the frequency and nature of underground features that you might encounter, especially as you mine in dwarf mode.

Don't forget the in-game regional prospector, which should help you to narrow down your search, and tweaking the world generation parameters to your liking will help you create entire worlds of the types of areas you like to play.
Derp.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 03:47:12 pm »

Not really, the 3D version is much more diverse, and offers better gameplay overall.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 03:59:07 pm »

need subterranean water)
What?  You need either SOIL or MUDDY rock that's underground.  The source of the water to muddy it is completely unrelated.

On Topic: I like the extra breathing room of 3D.  I could never go back to 2D.
(Those of you with keen eyes may notice my join date would appear to be after 3D was released..  Let's just say, I played long before I spoke)
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 04:41:11 pm »

Sometimes I miss 2d then I go play it then I realise why I upgraded to 3d. A 2d version which basically has forts like 2d was (set order of features) but with say 11 z-levels (5 up and 5 down from starting one) and all the new stuff would be perfect for me I think.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 04:44:29 pm »

The 3D version created some complications with my project,but I've found a way around them.

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 06:59:05 pm »

I miss certain things, mainly laughing at my dwarves getting swept off the bridges when the cave river'd flood. But, altogether, I like the 3D version alot better.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

Refar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 01:47:18 am »

need subterranean water)
What?  You need either SOIL or MUDDY rock that's underground.  The source of the water to muddy it is completely unrelated.
You need subterranean water to get towercaps. Mud from overgroud water source won't do.
Today on Home Improvement TV:
Urist Twolefthand, Dabbling Mechanic, assembles a 10x Crossbow weapon trap.

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 06:25:20 am »

need subterranean water)
You need subterranean water to get towercaps. Mud from overgroud water source won't do.

True, but the OP didn't mention tower caps, only plump helmets. Also, it's not that you need to get water from a subterranean source onto your farms, you just need to find a source, then muddy some ground, and voila, you have tower caps.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 07:19:56 am »

I look at it this way. After the next release of DF, the 3D will probably be superior in every way (as opposed to being superior in almost every way now)
Magma is overrated.

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 08:00:14 am »

I do still occasionally play the 2D version because of the fun stuff that happened (all other civs could seige you, chasms and magma spawned enemies who actively attacked you, simpler game-play).

I am not saying that the 2D version is better than 3D, just that it has more stuff happening. Still, with every update the 3D version is making up the ground that it lost with the conversion, and it is starting to get to be a lot more fun now.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 09:27:36 am »

No.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2008, 12:03:30 pm »

No.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2008, 05:22:48 pm »

I dont know how I ever got stuff done in 2d when I play it now I am afraid to designate any area for digging simply because I know its impossible to undo it and it could perminantly ruin my long term defensive plan.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.
Pages: [1] 2