Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Warehouses  (Read 1305 times)

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Warehouses
« on: October 16, 2008, 02:54:33 pm »

I'm thinking we need to be able to mark goods Trade, the same way we mark them forbidden or melt-worthy. Add a Trade goods stockpile and we can keep crap we want to dump next to the depot in a locked warehouse, instead of having it dragged all over the place. Maybe the items we trade for could be moved there by default and then moved as the haulers have the time. Perhaps we could even trade right from there (though our haulers may be needed to load their wagons).
Hmm, eventually it could lead to needing guards to keep the merchant's men from...liberating stuff.
End the slaughter of dorf kittens!
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
-Albert Schweitzer

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Warehouses
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 02:57:01 pm »

I like this. Aproved!

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 03:06:18 pm »

Marked with gurra_geban seal of approval!

really awesome idea really, and easy to implement!

just add "trade goods" to the stockpile menu, and all items tagged changes into "trade goods". All items recieved at the depot are automatically tagged as well

additionally, the items in the warehouse wouldn't need to be moved to the trade depot before the trade was completed, and still show up when trading at the depot. Dwarves should then move them there when the trade was complete
een failing lately?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 03:10:28 pm »

It would make an awsome place to defend against thieves!

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 03:25:55 pm »

Perhaps a new item, a crate, could be specifically used to store trade goods in large quantities, allowing more stuff to be hauled by traders. It'd basically be a bigger bin, allowing larger, normally un-binnable items.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 04:05:49 pm »

Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 04:15:57 pm »

So what happens to food on the trade goods stockpile? Are dwarves allowed to eat/drink stuff in that stockpile? How should items in that stockpile be reflected on the fortress status page?
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 04:38:57 pm »

Food in the warehouse stockpile will rot at the same speed as food in any other stockpile but won't be eaten. It's your problem if everyone's starving and no one remembered that there's a box of Twinkies buried under the goblin clothes. (We export them to nobles who bleach the blood out and use the silk as mattress stuffing. :))

Just remember, this is a convenience to avoid having to haul everything back and forth, and digging through your list three times a year. (All that work and the damn elves brought two logs (where'd they get tower-cap?) and 3 bins of rope reed cloth.) It's not useful as a quantum stockpile and has little use for regular storage. With items moved out of the regular lists, as gurra_geban suggested, it's actually counterproductive to mix in regular stores. Plus they'd be a thief magnet, big supply of valuables with no one around away from the town center... plan on a security guard. On the upside, they should also be usable with shops. (I'm in favor of letting workshops, etc. have a take from stockpile command like stockpiles do.)
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
-Albert Schweitzer

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 04:40:59 pm »

Personally I don't know why they would even take food... It would probably rot before getting to its destination

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 04:46:54 pm »

Could have sworn there was a thread on this just a few days ago.

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 04:48:45 pm »

There's always a thread on this.  :D
Dwarven bread is good for 600 years, almost half as long as a Twinkie. And they have to eat something on the way back... Realistically, in Newfoundland they make something called brine steak, it is what it sounds like, but I can't see long haul foods being a valuable export unless they're rare or a king wants to have chests of ice brought from the mountains. Maybe spices and such... Anyway, while the rest of the trade system is awaiting it's turn on the Arc so we need something to help out.

I think eventually, food will take a lower place and we'll start out better equipped but take longer to work our way up the trade ladder.
---------
-Albert Schweitzer

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 05:04:17 pm »

This would make my life so much easier...

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 05:20:42 pm »

This gets approval of the Fungus ( check my DRLFF account to see why )

I love these kinds of ideas.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2008, 04:15:21 pm »

I REALLY like this idea.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2008, 04:23:58 pm »

+1
..but this has been suggested a couple of times already as usual.  ;D
Hopefully a caravan will bring us this feature, if you know what I mean.  ;)
Pages: [1] 2