Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Version 1.00  (Read 2773 times)

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
Re: Version 1.00
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2008, 07:48:35 am »

When 1.00 comes out it'll be so obscenely complicated and complex that it'll mainly be a game for autistics and OCD's to play.

Or, halfway through production Toady realizes "if I simplified the game and added a proper graphics engine I could market this and make literally millions of dollars", and the world rejoices.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2008, 07:53:14 am »

When 1.00 comes out it'll be so obscenely complicated and complex that it'll mainly be a game for autistics and OCD's to play.

Nah, I don't agree. Once we will have full graphical support and some decent interface, the game will be very player friendly. I am pretty sure that even newbies will able to learn to play quite fast in that case. Sure, lot of stuff will be added, but the complexity level won't change that much, the diversity level will.  :)

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2008, 08:14:11 am »

Yeah, the game appeals to people that want realism and depth. Huge amounts of it you really don't need to mess with if you don't want. The choice to OCD it is purely a personal one and for those not biologically or psychologically mandated is easily ignored.
As far as graphics go... I'd rather see more game. If I cared about pretty pictures I'd go to a museum. Get a Playstation and leave our game alone. :P
End the slaughter of dorf kittens!
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
-Albert Schweitzer

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2008, 09:24:24 am »

A bit of googling shows it's already out!

http://download.chip.eu/en/Dwarf-Fortress_3105585.html

;)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2008, 09:26:33 am »

A bit of googling shows it's already out!

http://download.chip.eu/en/Dwarf-Fortress_3105585.html

;)

Haha, there was a topic about this.  :D

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2008, 09:34:24 am »

Ah, I just signed up so I'll probably be putting in more duplicate 2 cents...

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2008, 09:45:13 am »

Ah, I just signed up so I'll probably be putting in more duplicate 2 cents...

No problem, I still find that link very funny.  ;D
Welcome to the forum by the way!  :)

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2008, 09:53:42 am »

Yeah, the game appeals to people that want realism and depth. Huge amounts of it you really don't need to mess with if you don't want. The choice to OCD it is purely a personal one and for those not biologically or psychologically mandated is easily ignored.
As far as graphics go... I'd rather see more game. If I cared about pretty pictures I'd go to a museum. Get a Playstation and leave our game alone. :P

Of course you'd rather see more game, you're not a mainstream gamer. DF is a niche game and the more complex and complicated it gets (and it definitely won't get any simpler any time soon) the more of a niche game it'd be. I understand Toady doesn't want to "sell out" his vision or anything but for the immense amount of profit he'd make on a mainstream DF game (I could easily see it on the level of, say, Civ 2) he could spend the rest of his days making some tangled nightmare of a game however he wants in the lap of luxury and never have to worry about money again. I'm sure he has his reasons but the decision to move away from something marketable just baffles me.

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2008, 12:32:34 pm »

Of course you'd rather see more game, you're not a mainstream gamer. DF is a niche game and the more complex and complicated it gets (and it definitely won't get any simpler any time soon) the more of a niche game it'd be. I understand Toady doesn't want to "sell out" his vision or anything but for the immense amount of profit he'd make on a mainstream DF game (I could easily see it on the level of, say, Civ 2) he could spend the rest of his days making some tangled nightmare of a game however he wants in the lap of luxury and never have to worry about money again. I'm sure he has his reasons but the decision to move away from something marketable just baffles me.
Civ2 isn't a mainstream game, it's just a very popular niche game with a broad niche. And it has been selling out, Civ2 was the most popular, but the directions they've taken are turning more and more people away from it. Revolutions proves the selling out paradigm. It's not as popular as they hoped and it's base is console players, not specifically civ fans.
Like many others Toady has found a way to make money by giving his stuff away, like Order of the Stick, User Friendly, PvP, the artists of the FuMP, etc. People who are making a living doing what they love and not crippling people with ownership systems that only punish the users. Why abandon quality? More money means more costs, programmers, artists, investors... It's a big planet and not everyone has the same tastes. Trying to match everyone's tastes winds up with something beyond bland and usually beyond bad. I've just seen pictures for the new Trek bridge and it made me want to cry, it looks like a midtown office. DF is popular because of what it is, not because of what it is not.
Lastly, as an artist I can see where Toady is at. DF is his baby, the game HE wants and he has been generous enough to share it with us. I for one and glad and pleased to share my ideas for smoothing it out, but I draw the line there. If I don't like the direction it's going I will go somewhere else. If the ArmyArc doesn't appeal I might like the next one, if it drags the game to a place i don't enjoy, I won't. But maybe, just maybe, I'll find something new I like.
End the slaughter of dorf kittens!
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
-Albert Schweitzer

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2008, 12:43:35 pm »

truth is that toady entered a fey mood. at the end of which we will have a legendary coder and an artifact game.

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2008, 12:51:05 pm »

truth is that toady entered a fey mood. at the end of which we will have a legendary coder and an artifact game.

O.O

*watches as reality begins to unravel around him*

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2008, 01:18:57 pm »

yes. that is the truth. toady entered in a fey mode.. he is a legendary coder and he made DF 1.00. and you are inside it.

now you have to decide: will you keep living here, with the people you know, forgetting all what i said, or will you follow me out, and know the truth?

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2008, 01:38:34 pm »

yes. that is the truth. toady entered in a fey mode.. he is a legendary coder and he made DF 1.00. and you are inside it.

now you have to decide: will you keep living here, with the people you know, forgetting all what i said, or will you follow me out, and know the truth?

Hell no, I'm going to go murder some kittens!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2008, 01:48:36 pm »

it is DF, and you are the player. you are allowed to. but this is not the DF you know. fortress guard (that is now called police in most places) will put you in a jal for murdering owned animals. and fell moods are much worse than that. toady added it to give a greater challenge

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2008, 03:19:12 pm »

it is DF, and you are the player. you are allowed to. but this is not the DF you know. fortress guard (that is now called police in most places) will put you in a jal for murdering owned animals. and fell moods are much worse than that. toady added it to give a greater challenge

Meh. I can always make a new character if the guards get this one.
Pages: 1 [2] 3