Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Version 1.00  (Read 2772 times)

Darktongue Breakbone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Version 1.00
« on: October 16, 2008, 12:33:58 pm »

What will this look like?  I know Toady takes ideas from us as well as himself so it's always a work in progress, but at what point will he just put down his laptop and say, "I'm done!"

Most programmers would look at this game in it's current form and call it v1.00.  I can only imagine a game so complex, you'd need a quantum computer to play it.  Which is pretty kickass for a game without bump mapping and shaders

Dogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Version 1.00
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 12:47:26 pm »

When DF 1.00 is released it will be a super-intelligent self-learning, growing AI/universe simulation program that ultimately enslaves humanity as part of its world generation process.

Nilus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 01:04:15 pm »

That kind of deductive reasoning is undorfy!
You know what you have to do.
RELEASE THE CATS!

Kyselina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 01:18:23 pm »

Tun Athelbuket, farmer cancels sleep: Caged.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 01:22:01 pm »

DF will be skynet.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 02:41:35 pm »

From what i know DF will become v1.0 when Toady completes all that stuff (and probably a lot more, because new ideas come every day).

Also Toady already have plans what to do after v1.0: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_future.html 
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Borgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 03:33:17 pm »

When DF 1.00 is released it will be a super-intelligent self-learning, growing AI/universe simulation program that ultimately enslaves humanity as part of its world generation process.
Much like Cartman's TrapperKeeper. Fear the future.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 04:01:49 pm »

Nah, with this development speed, I guess that IF DF will ever hit v1.00 [let's hope so  :)], it probably won't happen before ~2015.
Just take a look at the v1.00 items, and compare it to those items, what have been implemented in the last years so far.

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 05:38:25 pm »

Nah, with this development speed, I guess that IF DF will ever hit v1.00 [let's hope so  :)], it probably won't happen before ~2015.
Just take a look at the v1.00 items, and compare it to those items, what have been implemented in the last years so far.

No, he was referring to the fact that the world might end in 2012, thus, when DF is finished, the world shall end.

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 05:40:21 pm »

No, he was referring to the fact that the world might end in 2012, thus, when DF is finished, the world shall end.
That's OK, we'll generate a new one with the same seed. :)
End the slaughter of dorf kittens!
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
-Albert Schweitzer

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 05:41:39 pm »

Dawrf Fort v1.00 will be so intelligent that it will create its own dwarf fortress game, makes you wonder....are we just a dwarf fortress....
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

DanielLC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 07:06:45 pm »

v1.00 will be the version with 100 core components. This is not the point where he puts down his laptop and says "I'm done". It's unlikely he will ever finish the game per se. He will stop programming it when he either decides that there are better things to do or the game has collapsed under its own weight and is too hard to maintain. Hopefully, he will release the source when this happens, so the game will never suffer the catastrophe of being complete.

Zero Ziat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 08:22:07 pm »

That's OK, we'll generate a new one with the same seed. :)

This is going in my signature. Now.

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008, 10:35:02 pm »

Wooo! I'm a sig!  ;D

So the real question is which features he feels are necessary to complete before 1 and more immediately, which will trigger the beta?
End the slaughter of dorf kittens!
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
-Albert Schweitzer

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2008, 07:09:23 am »

Ah heh, the Mayan calendar theory... ;D What a bullshit. It's something like the "Tupac lives - 7 day theory".  :-X
Pages: [1] 2 3