Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What does your world look like?  (Read 1029 times)

Gondana

• Bay Watcher
  • OMG!!!
    • View Profile
    • OMG!!!
What does your world look like?
« on: October 16, 2008, 05:26:29 am »

Brag about your little world here. To get a thumbnail of your world follow these steps.

1. Locate a map of your world in the folder that DF is in, you'll notice its a little bit big.

2. Save it as a new file somewhere (NOT IN THE DF FOLDER)

3. Open the NEW FILE in bitmap, and goto the dropdown menu Images then Stretch/Screw

4. In the 1st box type 12, in the 2nd box type 8.
[Edit]
This is assuming that each square is 8pixels by 12pixels.

5. Increase the size of the image so it can be seen easily using stretch/Skew. (Only use 100 increments and only do this once, if it dousn't come out right the 1st try undo the edit and try again)

5. Save the file (DO NOT SAVE IN JPEG OR ANY OF ITS VARIANTS!)

6. Upload the image using a free image-uploader such as TinyPic.com

7. Use the forum-code to show of your world.

[EDIT]

I realised these world can be a little hard to see so after you shrink it so go back to stretch/Skew and type in 200 in both boxes for large worlds like mine or 400 for smell ones. Try to get it as big as mine, but only go in 100% increments and only once.

My world in question is as follows

My favorite part is the see ontop of a moutain. How on earth did THAT happen?!?!  :o
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 12:40:47 am by Gondana »
OMG!!!
Current project: Legend of Zelda mod.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: What does your world look like?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 06:57:08 am »

It looks like a satellite image.  I want to do one!

There are two black bars through it, what's with that?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 07:06:34 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 09:45:11 am »

They are the beams that lead to the Dark Tower.

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 10:15:56 am »

They are the beams that lead to the Dark Tower.

Nice. Obscure, but nice.  ;D
Goblin pricking does not sound like it could pay well enough.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 11:04:12 am »

Rather small world, high temperature, low rain.

Its hard to see since the entire south desert is technicolor but there's a small good ocean in the middle of it.  At the same time there's a large island in the central sea populated with some humans.  And despite the rain and drainage levels a massive evil marsh showed up in the northwest with again, a small island of good in the middle.

The only rivers are off by the mountain to the northeast.  But because of that central ocean being in the way the rivers go there instead of spreading across the map, making the northeast side of the map the only source of clean freshwater.

P.S. Downside however is since the only mountain in the world is good, there are no dwarves or goblins.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 11:21:55 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Philosophical Gamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Encased in Obsidian, steaming.
    • View Profile
    • The Philosophical Gamer
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 08:39:02 am »

I've got two fortresses going right now, on the newer one it's a dry map and there's a lava tube on the lower plains which had a bunch of dry grass covering its entire expanse.  Some skeletal horses moved too close to the tube, and a fire imp let some fireballs fly.

There was a gigantic firestorm that covered that entire lower plain, leaving it now to be just a charred wasteland.  So now the map pretty much looks like fire and brimstone.

Luckily fire can't climb Z-levels, which I both felt was lame and good at the same time, as I didn't want my dwarves up on the mountain to achieve a crispy outer coating.

My FPS went down like 60 points during the firestorm.  Good times.
Philosophical Gamer - Waxing nostalgic about old school games, roguelikes, linux gaming, dwarf fortress, indie gaming and more. It's good, and good for you.

GameBooty.com - Only the Best Free Games for the Serious Gamer. PC, Online, Flash, Mobile, iPhone.  Come by and get some free quality games.  400+ games with more added daily.