Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Galena...  (Read 7220 times)

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
Re: Galena...
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2008, 11:19:49 pm »

Unfortunately, asbestos as a metal just doesn't work. I mean, you can't really "smelt" it into wafers that would be useful in any way; you can't really make metallic items out of the stuff. Asbestos shield? Hell no.

It could be used for cloth or some kind of semi-solid stuff, though. Granted, it's not exactly safe to use.

I think the intent was to have it treated as a cloth, but if you add new reactions into the game they must take place as a "smelting" reaction at a smelter.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2008, 12:01:17 am »

Not all smelter reactions are smelting though; melting metals into alloys isn't.

And yes, this is an incredibly pedantic point to be making. :P
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2008, 12:12:50 am »

lol how did this stray so far from the question "what should i do with all my excess lead?"
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2008, 12:25:28 am »

lol how did this stray so far from the question "what should i do with all my excess lead?"
As previously stated, make lead toys and sell them to elves.  Alternatively, make bins with them and use those bins to store lightweight valuables for adventure mode.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

cbfog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2008, 01:50:05 am »

Granted, it's not exactly safe to use.

Well, neither is lead but dwarves don't seem to have much problem picking up a lead barrel (is that how you spell that?) full of liquor and guzzling it and not going mad or anything.

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2008, 02:23:04 am »

Well, neither is lead but dwarves don't seem to have much problem picking up a lead barrel (is that how you spell that?) full of liquor and guzzling it and not going mad or anything.

Actually, lead everything would provide a great excuse for dorfs acting the way they do.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2008, 11:58:47 am »

I moded lead to allow it to be used for Bolts and it dose a bit more damage then Iron but less then Steel.  Its probably not going to use up all that much lead but it helps and is historically accurate, lead 'bullets' were the favorite ammunition of ancient slinger.  I'd also like to be able to use lead for the creation of stain-glass windows and other soldering applications.  Lastly I'd like to make lead usable for bludgeoning weapons like Hammers and Maces only, currently metals can only be specified as usable for all melle weapons at once with a single common damage modifier.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2008, 12:39:19 pm »

Actually, lead everything would provide a great excuse for dorfs acting the way they do.
Really, lead is only poisonous when it's in the form of an ionic compound.  So the Galena would be far more dangerous.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2008, 01:16:44 pm »

As previously stated, make lead toys and sell them to elves.  Alternatively, make bins with them and use those bins to store lightweight valuables for adventure mode.

Either way the posts being posted in this thread are awesome.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2008, 01:56:37 am »

Really, lead is only poisonous when it's in the form of an ionic compound.  So the Galena would be far more dangerous.

Elemental lead is certainly poisonous. The salts of it are probably moreso, but that doesn't mean that drinking from lead vessels or pipes is a particularly good idea at all.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2008, 10:20:58 am »

great idea: make asbestos fire resistant. allow clothing to be made out of asbestos.

now we have perfect clothing to combat those pesky imps with! lets just hope they don't get dwarf-cancer.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2008, 10:28:49 am »

beard-rot! noooo!
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2008, 01:08:08 pm »

Unfortunately, asbestos as a metal just doesn't work. I mean, you can't really "smelt" it into wafers that would be useful in any way; you can't really make metallic items out of the stuff. Asbestos shield? Hell no.

It could be used for cloth or some kind of semi-solid stuff, though. Granted, it's not exactly safe to use.
Looks like someone hasn't played Kingdom of Loathing.

Brendan

• Bay Watcher
  • fa/tg/uy
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2008, 01:28:50 pm »

How about a shield with asbestos padding? Would be an interesting solution to dragon breath.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]