Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Galena...  (Read 7237 times)

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
Galena...
« on: October 15, 2008, 10:54:56 pm »

When you've got it, you seem to have a lot of it. Since it yields silver, it can be pretty handy to smelt it all, too (especially since my metalcrafter took a mood and went legendary on me. 1 in 5 silver goblets is a masterpiece).

However, since mostly it yields lead, I'm up to my gills in it! How would you go about putting that lead to use? I can't bear to waste all this lovely, toxic, dense metal so I plan on using the lot of it! My plan so far has involved lead block roads (which are pretty valuable compared to rough stone!), lead bins, and ale stored in lead barrels (shame that I can't drive Urist mad with lead poisoning). Since I have tons of the stuff I can essentially use it as a replacement for all my wooden items except beds.

Since the only accessible civ is the dwarven one, I can't make a few tons of lead baubles and force the elves to haul it all home, so that's out of the question.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Galena...
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 11:09:42 pm »

No, you can totally do that. I recommend making lead goblets. Also, you may want to stud your weapons with lead, just for that added kick.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 11:35:17 pm »

A couple of fortresses ago, I built my prison walls out of vertical lead bars. Some of em' were linked to levers so the prison cell could become an execution cell in the case of more dangerous prisoners.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 12:05:43 am »

Hmm, ordering gold ore and smelting rose gold would probably get the most value out of it

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 12:23:47 am »

Rose gold is made with gold and copper, not lead.

Why you'd use lead in that alloy, or how it would result in pinkish-colored gold is beyond me. :P

You can, of course, use the lead to make lay pewter, but that stuff is horrible and requires you to waste a bunch of copper and tin.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 12:35:32 am »

Adventurer throwing blocks. Just carry fifty lead blocks around with you. Pretty much an insta-splat if you actually get a hit off.

Overdose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 12:47:40 am »

Make Lead toys for all the little Elven boys and girls to play with.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 01:11:51 am »

Make Lead toys for all the little Elven boys and girls to play with.

They're dwarves, not Chinese toymakers.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 01:13:51 am »

Rose gold is made with gold and copper, not lead.

Meant electrum

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 01:20:50 am »

Eh, I've always considered that sort of an exploit. After all, a chunk of galena doesn't actually have a full bar's worth of silver in it, yet somehow it acts as such during the smelting and alloying process... somehow magically destroying the copper in the process.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
  • Like Fire, You Will Blaze Through The Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 02:32:13 am »

Build a lead building, perhaps a prison so your prisoners can rot in a room of toxic lead

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 03:10:35 am »

Build a lead building, perhaps a prison so your prisoners can rot in a room of toxic lead
Remove them of their arms, and lock them inside. This presents them with a choice:
Remain in the cell and starve, or chew their way through the bars (lead is a very soft metal) and die of poisoning.

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 03:12:01 am »

If you have magma, build whatever non-military stuff you want out of lead.

If you don't have magma, doing anything with lead other than studding other items wastes valuable fuel.

That holds just as true for gold or platinum, for that matter.  Studding doesn't cost fuel; making goblets and crafts and such does.
"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008, 04:33:37 am »

Eh, I've always considered that sort of an exploit. After all, a chunk of galena doesn't actually have a full bar's worth of silver in it, yet somehow it acts as such during the smelting and alloying process... somehow magically destroying the copper in the process.

Well Toady specifically put it in so it should be kosher

Do bear in mind that real life galena probably doesn't have a 50% chance of yeilding a silver bar. And the alloys are screwy to begin with

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 04:45:16 am »

If you have magma, build whatever non-military stuff you want out of lead.

If you don't have magma, doing anything with lead other than studding other items wastes valuable fuel.

That holds just as true for gold or platinum, for that matter.  Studding doesn't cost fuel; making goblets and crafts and such does.

Thankfully I do have magma.

Unfortunately I don't even need a military. Apparently in the region of the world my fortress is in, they've never even heard of goblins before. They just don't exist there, nor do humans or elves.

I'm basically just trying to wring some entertainment out of the fort before abandoning it and moving somewhere more challenging, or at least interesting. With no dangerous animals, no non-dwarven caravans, no kobolds or goblins... it's pretty dull.

Hopefully I can at least manage to leave behind some equipment for an adventurer to find, or at least some masterpiece silver crafts.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5