Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13

Author Topic: Subversion / Introversion  (Read 18428 times)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: Subversion / Introversion
« Reply #90 on: November 08, 2010, 05:23:38 pm »

This is (sadly) the first I've heard of this game (subversion).  I just wasted an entire morning reading through the dev blogs.   :D

It looks like it could be really good!  I wonder how moddable it'll be.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 08, 2010, 06:12:25 pm »

They're not famous for making easily modable friendly, but people do make mods for them.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 08, 2010, 06:45:57 pm »

Given the choice, I'd rather have a rock-solid core game than a mediocre easily moddable one. 
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 09, 2010, 03:04:10 pm »

If you read over the devlog, they want to make it mod friendly (or at least, custom content friendly, in the same manner that TF2 is).

Anyway, this was the first I'd heard of this game too (and I did pick up Darwinia/Multiwinia during the steam sale) and spent most of my morning (at work) reading over the devlogs.  Skipped some stuff, oggled the pictures, watched the videos, and then had to go find a new pair of pants.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 09, 2010, 03:22:51 pm »

I've been both following and thinking about this game for a long time now and really can't wait for the release. One of the things that has been on my mind is the setting; I wonder what time it will be set in. I'd guess that it will be modern day but with some high-tech gizmos to play with. I can't help but wish it was set in the future with similar technology to the Ghost in the Shell franchise. The whole atmosphere of GitS would work well for a game with the scope of Subversion.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 09, 2010, 03:55:57 pm »

Heck, a little bit of modding could turn it into ShadowRun.

Add some non-humans, add some "tech" that calls itself "magic" and voila.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 09, 2010, 04:02:50 pm »

As much as I like Ghost in the Shell, I don't think I'd want my agents constantly questioning their own existence or getting their brains hacked.

And that wouldn't be turning it into shadowrun, that would be mocking it. If you wanna turn it, do it right with both rules and karma and stuff.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 09, 2010, 04:09:14 pm »

"Turning it into ShadowRun" doesn't require the rules.  I mean, there are 36 novels about ShadowRun and not a one of them can be properly translated into the rules.

ShadowRun at its core is an idea.  ShadowRun is "Elves riding Harleys."

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 09, 2010, 04:26:23 pm »

"Turning it into ShadowRun" doesn't require the rules.  I mean, there are 36 novels about ShadowRun and not a one of them can be properly translated into the rules.

ShadowRun at its core is an idea.  ShadowRun is "Elves riding Harleys."

Its funny, when I was reading the blogs shadowrun was pretty much what I was thinking about.  :) 

It sounds like they are making it easy to add new content, but who knows how far that can really go.  But I'd love to infiltrate some megacorp, or slowly develop a megacorp myself.   :D
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 09, 2010, 04:27:19 pm »

Thus, there's not a single good shadowrun novel.

Read shadowrun adventures instead. There are some really funny ones and some awesomely serious ones. A lot of great fail runs as well.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 09, 2010, 04:38:57 pm »

I play ShadowRun.  I've been in one of those awesome adventures (I got killed by an orbital laser trying to smuggle Deus out of an underground facility).

I'm active on Dumpshock, so I know why translating the rules into any medium is a bad idea.  There's a good portion of the rules which are ambiguous; thread running right now trying to define "a wound set" for the purposes of (magical) healing.

I've also read a few of the books.  My GM has read more.  I know most of the back history.  I'm aware of most of the connections to Earthdawn.

I know the sentence that started it: "I want elves riding Harleys."

The mechanical rules of the table top game are not required to translate the setting to another platform (besides, do you use the 1st edition rules, or the 4th?  And SR4 or SR4A?  Do you use the FAQ?)

Its the fluff that makes ShadowRun tick.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 09, 2010, 04:53:16 pm »

I used to be active on dumpshock a long time ago. I guess our opinions differ on this matter. I'd rather see rules translated to a medium with ye olde house-rules that interpret any gray areas than just... fluff... Fluff alone is meaningless to me. I played shadorun from 2nd to 4th because I liked the ruleset first of all -and- the story that added to it not the story alone.

For example, if someone gave me a d20 shadowrun, I'd throw it in the trashcan. Same goes to a certain xbox "shadowrun" game.

I'd rather put up with some adaptation of the ruleset than fluff with no shadowrun ruleset. But that's my opinion on the matter, gameplay > story.

Alas, we don't have any story background on Subversion yet.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #102 on: November 09, 2010, 05:02:56 pm »

Shadowrun always was style over substance, and the rules are intentionally vague. It is one of the best games to "Theater of the Mind" really.

The only notable exception is deckers/hackers. You really have to get down to details to do a hack right, and map out a system.

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 09, 2010, 05:21:02 pm »

Simply put, this is my dream game.  On one hand, I can't believe so much time passed without my knowing about this game.  On the other, I wish MORE time had passed so I would have discovered it much closer to its release.  Once linked to the dev blog, I started reading from the bottom with no knowledge of what was to come.  I watched in awe as the city generator grew and evolved, and then my love only grew as the actual gameplay mechanics were introduced.  Watching the floor plan became increasingly more accurate as the wall-finder was attached to the wall and activated... I damn near pissed myself with excitement.

Also, I've found that reading certain dev blogs - particularly those like Subversion's or DF's - make me feel like a terrible failure unworthy of the title of "software developer".

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 09, 2010, 05:23:27 pm »

Vague? Are we talking about the same books here? O.o

Either you guys have "lawyer reading style(loop holes) 8" or you're intentionally being non-factual. Everything has specific bonuses and difficulty modifiers. Including cover levels, hacking a keypad, summoning a spirit in whatever background the area is, spotting sneaky people, spotting invisible people, spotting cat sized things, driving your car, shooting from your car, and so on... Sure not everything is covered, but I don't know any rpg that covers everything, the gm always has to use his judgment for some things.

They are not vague at all; There are even rules to convince/lie to npcs, which is where the GM could throw most of his judgment.

Simply put, this is my dream game.  On one hand, I can't believe so much time passed without my knowing about this game.  On the other, I wish MORE time had passed so I would have discovered it much closer to its release.
Yes, it has been incredibly slow lately, but they are adding much more to it with each blog that they release. I hope they speed it up a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13