Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cage Trouble  (Read 471 times)

Turd Ferguson

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Cage Trouble
« on: October 15, 2008, 02:11:54 pm »

Okay, so I have multiple cage related issues:

Firstly, I have a huge stack of goblin filled cages in my courtyard from all the ambushes I've been getting. Naturally, I don't want much to do with them, so I've created a rather large tower to take care of the problem. However, once the cages are empty and I've told my dwarves to un-build them, they run up to deconstruct them, move them one square away, then promptly go back to doing nothing. I would like them to return the cages to the animal stockpile, but no dice. It's getting pretty annoying, since I need to reload my cage traps, and all my dwarves ignore the mountain of empty cages.

Secondly, I've tried to dump them a number of times to solve the problem, and *suprise* they don't get dumped.

Lastly, is there a more efficient way to place cages that contain a goblin. Every time I try to "build" a cage, it gives me a list of ALL the cages in my whole fortress, and I have to guess which one might contain that pesky goblin marksman. GAH!

Help?
Your tongues can't repel flavor of that magnitude!

Regex

• Escaped Lunatic
  • The Larch.
    • View Profile
Re: Cage Trouble
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 02:20:06 pm »

When you select a cage you can press 'x' and it will show you more information about the cage. Then you can see what is inside the cage.

Turd Ferguson

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 02:26:05 pm »

Wow. That makes things much easier.
Your tongues can't repel flavor of that magnitude!

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 02:33:46 pm »

With warriors (not the thieves or snatchers), you don't need to 'b'uild cages at all.  Just have one cage built, somewhere, go to it, and assign all of the goblins to that cage.  Then, rather than having 50 cages with one goblin each, you'll have 1 cage with 50 goblins, and 49 spare cages that can go in the traps.

Thieves and snatchers will try to escape if you assign them to a different cage.  I recommend just letting them out with the military nearby.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.