Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Hardest way to play Dwarf Fortress  (Read 5088 times)

Pie

• Bay Watcher
  • Winner of the "most disturbing avatar" award.
    • View Profile
Re: Hardest way to play Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2008, 03:34:53 pm »

I'd have said one dwarf is easier that lots, especially as your food will all be from herbalism (assuming there is any plants) and hunting.

Also no crossbows will make a big difference in seiges, and no defining rooms (such as barracks and dinning halls) should aid with happiness spirals.
I think I am going to only use 1 dwarf... as shortage of food is not going to be a problem (what with the number of cats I am going to bring), but shortage of labour is. Happiness spirals should be irrelevant if I only have one, unless I misinterpret what you say. I think that I won't define any rooms, but I am unsure about not using crossbows... ah what the hell, I'm pretty sure that it will still be possible...

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2008, 04:51:14 pm »

So, you want to play one dwarf who goes around and kills everything...isn't that Adventurer Mode?

=P
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Pie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2008, 05:19:23 pm »

So, you want to play one dwarf who goes around and kills everything...isn't that Adventurer Mode?

=P
With sieges and construction, yes.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2008, 05:44:45 am »

I think I am going to only use 1 dwarf... as shortage of food is not going to be a problem (what with the number of cats I am going to bring), but shortage of labour is. Happiness spirals should be irrelevant if I only have one, unless I misinterpret what you say. I think that I won't define any rooms, but I am unsure about not using crossbows... ah what the hell, I'm pretty sure that it will still be possible...

You don't get labour shortages with 1 dwarf because there just isn't enough to do after about half a year. Also it will as you mentioned make the happiness spirals irrelevant which makes things easier again (no half your dwarves going insane for example).  1 dwarf games can be fun though, just need to find a way to kill your starting ones.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2008, 08:08:52 am »

Maybe we need to be able to choose dwarves as starting equipment and take more or less as we need/want.
End the slaughter of dorf kittens!
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
-Albert Schweitzer

Pie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2008, 09:56:35 am »

You don't get labour shortages with 1 dwarf because there just isn't enough to do after about half a year. Also it will as you mentioned make the happiness spirals irrelevant which makes things easier again (no half your dwarves going insane for example).  1 dwarf games can be fun though, just need to find a way to kill your starting ones.

It is harder because it is far more catastrophic if he gets a bit sad and goes insane, it is game over. If he dies, it is game over, so sieges are going to be hard (especially as I won't be able to get iron to make armour).
I mean, initially this guy is going to be completely untrained, with perhaps some shell armour and a few attributes and he is going to have to deal with whole squads of goblins - much harder than piling on with thousands of useless migrants...

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2008, 02:03:47 am »

Fighting off sieges during a game of Hermit Fortress is not a challenge.  It's a crap shoot.  No matter how powerful you are, you can still suffer a mortal wound from a one-on-one duel with a groundhog.  If you want a genuine challenge, go for the starting 7 with no immigrants and a minimal child cap (init setting).

Martian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2008, 01:55:47 pm »

You might want to try a map with no sedimentary layer. Or igneous extrusive. Only metamorphic and igneous intrusive. (Dwarf fortress is really helping me with geology. And science: "Name two iron ores")

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2008, 01:57:42 pm »

Hematite, and magnitite, but ya.....Try playing Dwarf fort without mining....... that includes diging
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Refar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2008, 02:15:08 pm »

What is your definition of "Successful Fort" here ?
Not having population, not trading, not producing nor exporting any meaningful goods...There is not much left to measure success by.

I would suggest droping at least the "One Dwarf" restriction.
Maybe also allowing trading with other Dwarves (While still killing the others).
Dwell overground in the said spooky biome.
Should give you a challenging, themed fort.
Today on Home Improvement TV:
Urist Twolefthand, Dabbling Mechanic, assembles a 10x Crossbow weapon trap.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2008, 02:48:45 pm »

Hwo will it end thoguh, I predict the tantrum spiral.
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2008, 04:34:01 pm »

Imo, a desert.
Marauding skeletal two-humped camels are nightmarish.
Skeletal hippos and marauding skeletal elephants in a 2x2 (or smaller) (main)river sounds good also.
Mostly i find insanely hard places just by embarking somewhere evil.
Maybe better make a specific world with max caves, (almost) completely evil biomes and then just let the finder do its random job. (actually, dunno of its random when there are multiple possible sites found by the finder, never really used it)
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Aranna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2008, 10:26:56 pm »

You could try it with a family of dwarfs, so ya kill all but 1 guy and 1 girl, and do the same to immigrating dwarfs so you dont have your game end if ya get a mood and dont have a shell/bone/gem.

Pie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2008, 01:18:50 pm »

Ok, because of the fact that combat is a lil bit random (and I expect to lost a few dwarves early on), the current config goes as follows:
3x3 terrifying, no magma, scarce tree, embark (because I am not modding the game in ANY way)
7 totally unskilled Dwarves
All creatures that come to the area must be killed (except dwarven caravans - they are a good way of valuing success).
All immigrants must be killed.
No mining.
All constructions must be made of soap blocks
No farming
No crossbow use
No traps

I am bringing:
1 axe
LOADS OF ANIMALS

Win conditions:
Mega project to be complete.
All other creatures must be killed.
All dwarves legendary in at least 1 skill
All problems sustainably solved.

Do you think that is hard enough?

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2008, 08:41:32 am »

All immigrants must be killed.

Just disable immigration, killing them each time will just get boring for you (and isn't hard), otherwise sounds good as long as your animals are something passive that'll run from conflict :)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd
Pages: 1 [2] 3