Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Hardest way to play Dwarf Fortress  (Read 5093 times)

Pie

• Bay Watcher
  • Winner of the "most disturbing avatar" award.
    • View Profile
Hardest way to play Dwarf Fortress
« on: October 15, 2008, 11:15:06 am »

Ok, so I am looking for the most challenging possible conditions to build a successful fort, without it being impossible (as in PHYSICALLY impossible).
I am not sure whether only having one dwarf and killing off everyone else (including immigrants) is harder than having lots of dwarves...
Presumably a terrifying biome (but which type is the hardest?) With no magma, trees or water (unless it is an aquifer or salt water).
I am thinking that avoiding going underground would be pretty hard, starting with unskilled dwarves, and a few animals to make soap walls... farming would also be prohibited, but then wouldn't I need water?
Also, I would kill off every trader who came near and not use any traps.

So, to summarise:
  • Terrifying biome
  • All constructions to be made of soap
  • Kill every living thing that enters the area
  • No trees
  • No magma
  • No farming
  • No traps
  • No mining
  • No skilled dwarves
  • No starting objects apart from animals and perhaps 3 stone

Anything that could make it harder?

Turd Ferguson

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Hardest way to play Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 11:53:36 am »

Brutal...

Keep us updated on the skeletal carp invasion of 203...
Your tongues can't repel flavor of that magnitude!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 01:37:55 pm »

Use "Embarkanywhere" for an 1x1 location. this should allow creatures (Undead) to respawn asap.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 01:44:43 pm »

For the challenge thread, I embarked on a dozen or so terrifying climes in a dozen different worlds, and none of them were really that bad.  After I had given up, I embarked to a savage wilderness biome that was crawling with monsters.  So it's a matter of luck, I believe.

However, as far as I know, soap requires lye, which requires ashes, which requires wood.

If you don't farm, you don't brew, which means you need water. 

Will you use the stuff the traders bring, after you kill them off, or will you sacrifice it to your dark gods?
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

MetBoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 01:54:26 pm »

If you don't farm, you don't brew, which means you need water. 
UNLESS there are plants growing naturally that can be brewed. But yeah, go for the 1x1 embark square.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 02:08:57 pm »

If you can, make all your starting objects ash and animals. 

I think you can make buildings out of ash, so you won't need stone in addition

Pie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 02:43:00 pm »

An update:
  • Terrifying biome
  • All constructions to be made of soap blocks
  • Kill every living thing that enters the area
  • Very few trees (worth it for the soap)
  • No magma
  • No farming
  • No traps
  • No mining
  • No skilled dwarves
  • No starting objects apart from animals and an axe (I think it is worth it for the soap difficulty)

Oh yeah, and I'm not going to edit the game in any way, so I won't be using a 1x1 embark area. Any more ideas?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 02:46:04 pm by Pie »

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 02:45:21 pm »

No trading. No booze.

Here's one:

Find a suitably terrifying ocean. Get a map with little coast, and most of it ocean. Now, find a way to build a fortress underwater. Bonus if it's outer walls are glass. Bigger = better.

Pie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 02:51:49 pm »

No trading. No booze.

Here's one:

Find a suitably terrifying ocean. Get a map with little coast, and most of it ocean. Now, find a way to build a fortress underwater. Bonus if it's outer walls are glass. Bigger = better.
I already said I would be killing every living thing, which includes traders. Also, I'm not farming, so I get no booze (unless some of the initial traders bring some).

Also, wasn't the second one taken from the challenges section?

Anyway, so long as you guys think that the terrifying ocean would be the hardest, I could try. I'm guessing that to build the underwater construction, I would need a load of pumps to drain the area. I dunno... it seems as though that project would make the game impossible (I mean, I only have 1 dwarf to do all of this...

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 02:56:15 pm »

I'd have said one dwarf is easier that lots, especially as your food will all be from herbalism (assuming there is any plants) and hunting.

Also no crossbows will make a big difference in seiges, and no defining rooms (such as barracks and dinning halls) should aid with happiness spirals.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 03:00:19 pm »

Also, wasn't the second one taken from the challenges section?

Anyway, so long as you guys think that the terrifying ocean would be the hardest, I could try. I'm guessing that to build the underwater construction, I would need a load of pumps to drain the area. I dunno... it seems as though that project would make the game impossible (I mean, I only have 1 dwarf to do all of this...

Dunno about the challenges section. It's just a real pain, building an underwater fort while fighting off skeletal tuna & such. Stick with either the origional 7 dwarves, or a ton of them. One is just... meh. No insane scramble for food later on.

Brendan

• Bay Watcher
  • fa/tg/uy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 03:07:17 pm »

I know you said that you're not going to edit the game, but if anyone else wants to go for 'hardcore DF' then remove the [INTELLIGENT] tag from goblins in the creature raws, and replace it with [CAN_LEARN][CAN_CIV]

While you're there you might want to beef them up a bit, increasing their size is very effective at this.

The result of these little tweaks is a goblin race which is more powerful than your dwarves (if you changed their stats) and one that begins sieging you in your second year (regardless of population) and will siege you every season afterwards...at least I think so. Presumably they would run out of goblins eventually, but I have to admit that I survived only two seasons of constant siege with only 24 dwarves, six of which were novice marksdwarves hiding behind fortifications with only wooden crossbows and bone bolts...

No traps is pretty much a given so you'd had to 'tech up' quickly so you can defend yourself, or else make some ingenious self-made contraption fairly hastily in order to kill them all.

EDIT: You may also need to edit this in the entity raws under 'EVIL' (this is the goblin civ)

[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION:2]
   [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PRODUCTION:2]
   [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE:2]

Changing all those to '1' will probably also increase the rate of sieges...removing [INTELLIGENT] and replacing it with [CAN_CIV] and [CAN_LEARN] in the creatures raw makes it so that the goblins are always at full war with everyone.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 03:10:32 pm by Brendan »

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 03:16:45 pm »

Shades, that won't make too much of a difference after a bit; my fort has all of 3 crossbowdwarves, and they've never gotten a shot off against an invader in 10 years because me normal military kills the goblins well before they get in range.
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 03:18:59 pm »

Play underground, but require all the rooms to be panneled (build walls and floor) in wood. Bonus points for making everything from wood. Double bonus if you only use towercaps, surface trees are only fit for burning.
To be really cruel, only trade mechanisms so that you have a use for the stone.
Finally, edit the raws to return the elephant bloodthirstyness. Sillypoints for making them fly. Or... would savage undead vermin elephants attack?
End the slaughter of dorf kittens!
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
-Albert Schweitzer

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 03:28:06 pm »

Hm...my DF "settings" are quite hardcore, but I am setting up my games from a militaristic perspective. Thus goblins/elves/humans/semi-megabeasts/megabeasts are all modded in my games, all of these creatures are much stronger compared to the creatures in the vanilla game, plus I don't use any moats/traps/defensive mechanisms at all.
There is a good chance that you will loose a game like this, but its hella fun at least.  ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3