Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Hardest way to play Dwarf Fortress  (Read 5089 times)

Yami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hardest way to play Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2008, 11:13:49 pm »

My preferred method for Hard mode a [No Dig][No Forge] fortress around a magma pipe that my dwarves worship by throwing everything into.  Fire imps are treated as messengers of the Ever Burning One and any dwarf who inadvertently hurts one gets to apologize in person.  Granted, I stopped bringing crossbows, so that's rarely an issue now.

The whole only dumping when fire imps aren't near the surface thing is kinda hard to do, and I often end up unleasing one and brining it back to burn down my village.

Good luck on your project.
Is it a bad sign that I purposefully deface masterwork engravings because I understand the importance of the throwing skill?

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2008, 09:28:20 am »

Here's what I do - play it ethically. All precautions are to be made to avoid death and suffering. It's harder than it sounds. This includes putting bars at the edge of cliffs and other edges where it's possible for dwarves to fall over, using only cage traps, putting avoidance of injury at a very high priority (i.e. full armor for training dwarves). And sustainability means that you have to avoid overhunting, overgathering of trees, overslaughter of undead except purely in self-defense.

Humans have it harder than dwarves :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Pie

• Bay Watcher
  • Winner of the "most disturbing avatar" award.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2008, 02:20:18 pm »

All immigrants must be killed.

Just disable immigration, killing them each time will just get boring for you (and isn't hard), otherwise sounds good as long as your animals are something passive that'll run from conflict :)

Since I don't want to mod the game AT ALL, perhaps I could just get the immigrants to build a normal underground fort that is sealed off from the standard guys, which would allow me to effectively "respawn" should this fail (which it probably will) with another 7 totally (or at least fairly) unskilled dwarves. Also, it would allow me to occasionally break the rules (for example, to get stone for mechanisms for the mega-project. I don't think that it would make life any easier, but it would save the pain in the arse of getting so far only to be destroyed. But obviously I am going to try my very best to do it first time.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2008, 02:56:00 pm »

Play it like the current labour government is running it.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2008, 02:58:36 pm »

Now that would lead to end of world humour, Invade my army of Lawyers, Invade with your Wings of Steel.
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2008, 03:00:47 pm »

Bomrek McPrescott enjoyed a lavish meal today.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Pie

• Bay Watcher
  • Winner of the "most disturbing avatar" award.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2008, 02:31:45 pm »

Ok, so does anyone else have any other ways to make it harder, but still possible to fulfil the main goals.

Oh, and the biome must be terrifying, but also must have a river and trees. As far as I know, this rules out glacier and desert biomes, as well as areas of salt-water (because I will not be able to get alcohol apart from through trading with the dwarves... It also can NEVER freeze, as I am not allowed to mine and don't want to die out in the first winter...

Is there anything else which I am not thinking of which would make what I am doing impossible?
Pages: 1 2 [3]