Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Longest wait for immigrants:  (Read 2193 times)

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Longest wait for immigrants:
« on: October 15, 2008, 09:57:17 am »

Hey everyone...I'm have gotten to spring of second year and have yet to see a single immigrant; I'm in a Savage Wilderness environment where the only notable casualty has been a war-dog to a cave-in (and a Hunting Dog who took neck damage, making it functionally the equivalent of the dumb drooling mutt). I did the Liason meeting/trading and exported a lot of goods. Where are the immigrants?

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Longest wait for immigrants:
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 11:03:14 am »

Is spring over?  Sometimes the immigrants don't arrive until the end.

If you don't get any immigrants, you should get the message "No immigrants have arrived this season."
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 02:48:14 pm »

What's the fortress value (from the Z screen)? Since early forts pretty much have to trade at a 1/3 loss massive trades lower your value right before the caravan leaves. You sell ☼15,000 food for ☼10,000 useless crap = -☼5,000.
End the slaughter of dorf kittens!
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
-Albert Schweitzer

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 02:51:30 pm »

What is the minimum wealth required before you receive immigrants? I sold a small fortune worth of bonecrafts.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 02:52:58 pm »

The important point is fortress wealth. if you traded your crafts at enough of a loss, your wealth would drop to the point where you didn't have enough.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 02:58:26 pm »

Considering the merchant system is pretty funky as is, by requiring one to make such unfavorable trades, I might as well just start seizing caravans.

Morberis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 03:36:42 pm »

Considering the merchant system is pretty funky as is, by requiring one to make such unfavorable trades, I might as well just start seizing caravans.

Does anyone know what the penalty is for just deleting the Depo, forcing them to drop all their stuff?

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 03:40:02 pm »

Don't believe they notice it at all.  Bit of a bug.  And personally, I never take that much of a loss - at most, they make about a 2/5s profit-to-item-value profit - I can trade away 7k worth of crap for 5k worth of crap or even, if I've been working the guy for long enough, 7k worth of crap for 6k worth of crap.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 04:25:47 pm »

Traders only care about the difference between their wealth on entering the map and their wealth on exiting. Deconstructing the depot is identical to simply seizing all of the traders' goods. If goblins attacked and destroyed one of their caravans, they'll blame you for it. And so on.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 04:31:40 pm »

Don't believe they notice it at all.  Bit of a bug.  And personally, I never take that much of a loss - at most, they make about a 2/5s profit-to-item-value profit - I can trade away 7k worth of crap for 5k worth of crap or even, if I've been working the guy for long enough, 7k worth of crap for 6k worth of crap.
They can start a siege on you if you do it enough.
I had an elf siege after doing it one time..
Similar thing happened when all but one of them died to an ambush.

Total Wealth on Entering: Several mules worth of wood
Total Wealth on Leaving: The clothes on my back.
"We should kill those dwarves for what they've stolen!"
"No, it was the gob-"
"KILL THE DWARVES!"
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 04:35:13 pm »

Well, second month of spring...no immigrants.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 04:37:53 pm »

So, I could seize whatever goods I wanted, then just offer an equivalent value to them and call it fair trade without having to deal with the caravan's weird hidden price modifiers?

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 04:44:26 pm »

Does anyone know what the penalty is for just deleting the Depo, forcing them to drop all their stuff?

That's exploit-y.  If you're going to do it, man up and either seize the caravan or kill the merchants in some deathtrap.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 06:23:50 pm »

My personal favorite is having children fill the depot with water by bucket.

I put my dining hall between the children and the depot for extra good thoughts.

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 06:34:12 pm »

Well...I finally got the immigrants...they arrived at the beginning of late spring. Man...I got...20 in this wave. This is insane.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 06:55:16 pm by MagicJuggler »
Pages: [1] 2