Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Auto-butchering  (Read 12864 times)

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Auto-butchering
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2008, 10:24:12 pm »

I just got a funny idea, do chained animals get hanged when the space below them opens up....just so if you do chain a breeding pair you make sure they dong get executed
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

DanielLC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2008, 09:52:58 am »

I've heard animals breed by spores. If so, just hang the females. The best way to hang them would probably be:
§§§
§¢§>
§§§
Where §s are ropes, the ¢ is a hatch cover, grate or bars, and the > is a down staircase. Simply attach an animal to each rope, attach a lever to the hatch cover, and put the lever on repeat until all of the animals are hanging down it.

I did some basic calculations about the auto-butcher. When the population is in equilibrium, the frequency of the animals being butchered is proportional to the square of the size of the room. It's also proportional to the speed at which the animal reproduces.

CptFastbreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2008, 01:46:59 pm »

I think when ppl say they breed by spore, that means that the male and female don't have to be close to each other, or in the same room. You still need males though. In my current fortress, feral stallions impregnated my wagon-pulling mare but without horses in the local wildlife, that has never before happened.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2008, 01:52:25 pm »

Animals on chains DO NOT hang. They will simply disconnect from the chain and fall.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2008, 05:00:17 pm »

Animals on chains DO NOT hang. They will simply disconnect from the chain and fall.
So then they're... erm, cat storage?
For butchering?

Just pull this and you get, and you get butcherable cats, and it took some time to get this cat farm working, thee more cats, the more breeding, and the more breeding, the more butchering, the more butchering, the more food, and stuff, the more food and things, the more crafts and food, and the more food and crafts, the more survival and trade, and the more trade and salvation the more this place lives and is prosperous, the more this place live and prosperity the more legendary this place is... ... ... the more we dominate, the more power we'll have..............
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 05:07:30 pm by Foa »

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2008, 05:04:52 pm »

Yeah, it'll have to drop down onto a refuse pile, and if it isn't controlled right, you may end up with a lot of dead animals.

But, good god man you're awesome.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2008, 05:13:25 pm »

Yeah, it'll have to drop down onto a refuse pile, and if it isn't controlled right, you may end up with a lot of dead animals.

But, good god man you're awesome.
A one floor drop never harmed anyone, except adventurers...

Anyways, animal farms, the greatest thing ever, they produce more animals for you're quantum cages, lol...

Jaque-"Why Urist, EBay ( pun! ) are selling six-packs of cats now."
Urist--"Okay, we'll buy 10 for the party, Jaque"

elwessweettea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2008, 07:31:45 pm »

As I have a ridiculous number of animals, I played with this some. I have a 6-z-level fall, covered by a hatch cover, linked to a pressure plate, and I can confirm that on occasion the hatch cover opens, animals (or, once, a dwarf) fall, and die upon hitting a refuse stockpile beside my butcher shop. Unfortunately, while I have my butcher locked in with a butcher shop and the landing-point, I'm not sure Stray Animal corpses are butcherable; my butcher has made no motions toward making my dead bodies meat.

(Another problem lies in possibly overwhelming the pressure plate if animals walk on it too often; I have 300 animals crammed into 58 tiles, and I've had very few actual hatch-cover-state-changes.)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2008, 07:36:41 pm »

Are the bodies forbidden?  You might have forbid-on-death turned on.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 07:38:41 pm by Footkerchief »

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2008, 07:38:36 pm »

I can confirm that on occasion the hatch cover opens, animals (or, once, a dwarf) fall, and die upon hitting a refuse stockpile beside my butcher shop.
(Not trying to be sarcastic, just pointing out something you missed)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2008, 07:39:02 pm »

*whistles* I don't know what you're talking about

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2008, 10:28:19 pm »

I just tried this. The animals fall and die, and they land on the refuse pile next to the butchery, but they aren't butcherable. Dang.
Is this a bug?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2008, 10:52:35 pm »

I just tried this. The animals fall and die, and they land on the refuse pile next to the butchery, but they aren't butcherable. Dang.
Is this a bug?

Depends.  Are they (former) pets?

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2008, 11:49:08 pm »

They're slamming into a refuse stockpile. Try removing the stockpile and see what happens.

Also, stray animals who die get auto-butchered.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

DanielLC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2008, 12:29:19 am »

Perhaps we should try it with wild animals? I have a steady supply of wild horses in my cage traps. I've been training them, but I could stop.
Pages: 1 [2] 3