Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Flexible workshops & room definition  (Read 6170 times)

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Flexible workshops & room definition
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2008, 08:52:15 am »

An earlier iteration of the same suggestion here

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=22288.0

Though I understand its been suggested before, I think a summary should be made and added to the ESL

How dose this sound...

"Workshops defined from placed furniture in a free-form manner similar to bedrooms.  With sufficient space and furniture a workshop can support multiple workers simultaneously.  In addition to furniture 'lose' tools might also be part of the workshop either as required components or as upgrades, exp hammer for a forge, saw for a carpenters shop.  Lastly any unused open floor space on a workshop would determine the clutter limit for the workshop.  This space would be able to hold Bins and act as an internal-stockpile for raw materials and finished goods to greatly simplify supply chain management. "
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2008, 09:14:45 am »

Go ahead. The requirement for the initial piece of furniture could even be waived, so as to replace it more easily without removing the workshop. Of course, if it is necessary to do the job, the dwarf will just mill about, but at least the jobs aren't canceled and fey dwarves can continue to collect materials. Any other furniture and loose items can be used as usual.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2008, 05:07:25 am »

I've added this to the ESL under the name "Room system defined Workshops", currently ranked #117 with zero votes, anyone wish to throw some love at it?

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2008, 12:01:23 pm »

Flexible rooms could be an extension of zones...e.g. a place is both a bedroom and prison, prison and dining room, etc. So one can build actual prisons for Dwarves that they could continue to work even when incarcerated.

Dakira

• Bay Watcher
  • [LURKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2008, 10:08:56 pm »

As much as I like the idea of prisoner workers, I'm also going to throw out the potential for dwarven factories ...mmmmmmm... But I feel that might be taking the origonal suggestion a bit too far.

Overall I'm a big fan of this idea to have workshops that aren't 3x3 and having dwarves use actual tools to produce with. I feel that there should be one definitive item that classifies what workshop is which. For example, the anvil goes with a forge. The more tools or whatnot you place in the room could make dwarves produce faster and even to a higher quality. You can only get so far with an anvil, but along with a vice, grinder (of some kind), and other tools you can produce some high quality stuff.
There's no such thing as useless science. Now we need to weaponize this.
Everyone should:
play checkers.
fight clowns with water.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2008, 01:09:09 am »

Actually the forge is the defining item of a forge, by which I mean the fire-pit in which the blacksmith heats the metal in, if the metal isn't heated nothing is going to happen.  Metal that been melted in a crucible can be cast into molds without using a hammer and anvil (which is in fact the earliest metal working method).  Your generally right that a system of 'bare minimum' allowing basic work and then 'extra tools' adding better quality and more sophisticated operations is the way to go but your particular scenario is a bit backwards.

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2008, 01:16:30 am »

There should also be an allowance for cold-working of some metals.

Shinsetsu777

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2009, 06:18:20 pm »

I'd just like to add my whole hearted support to this idea. It conjures images of huge kitchens with loads of cooks and what-not. I always felt that the WS system was a bit Command and Conquer-ish but then again it probably was something of a place-holder.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2009, 06:50:07 pm »

Ack!  Necro-post!  This idea is already in the queue, actually.  It's going in...it's just not a top priority.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

tHe_silent_H

• Bay Watcher
  • Did you win?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2011, 08:53:30 pm »

I really like this idea, was gonna post my own thread, but decided i should use the search function, and necro. also we should put this up on the eternal voting suggestion( edit, found it).
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 08:13:34 am by tHe_silent_H »
Did you know that if you write 3.14 on a piece of paper and hold it in a mirror, it will say pie? And if you divide 42 by 3.14... you get 13.37!

It is incredibly satisfying to kill a man with a butterfly.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2011, 11:34:15 pm »

I saw this thread before, but now it's been revived, I want to say I really like this suggestion and think it would be a huge improvement to the realism of the game, the sensibility of the fortresses and the UI itself.

Two suggestions:
1) The system should be similar to the burrow system in terms of UI and the hospital system in terms of use. Right now the zoning system is a bit of a pain to implement in irregular rooms due only being able to put down one square once and having to substract the irregular parts. Furthermore, having it similar to the hospital system wouldn't end us up with 20+ items to define the 20+ workshops.
1b) In general replace the room-from furniture system with this. We should be able to point our dwarves to a hole in the ground, with or without beds. This would help with a wood-shortage and dwarves who like to spend alone time.
2) Let the game store some precalculated paths for each workshop. We wouldn't want having a complex workshop influence our FPS negatively, especcially when there's only a few set paths neccesary.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2011, 12:59:22 am »

Old threads have been popping out of the woodwork lately. Or, considering they are threads, out of the... tapestry... or something. ???

The 2009 posts in here suggest that the idea will... eventually... go in. Hope that's accurate.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2011, 02:00:26 am »

I think this idea has a lot of promise.  It would turn workshops into something more closely resembling the way hospitals work right now, which is pretty cool, actually.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2011, 06:16:41 pm »

Theradwig:

Potentially we could just assign rooms to dwarves, and let them furnish and decorate them themselves with goods they buy. The restrictions: no mining and don't block any entrances. It won't pose any particularly hard AI problems. Many players would appreciate to be able to leave the furnishing of 100 rooms to someone else, while still getting a result that pleases the dwarves ànd is affordable for them. There would just be a simple flag: 0: player-managed 1:owner-managed. Public rooms and workshops themselves have productivity importance so players will want to manage those themselves anyway.

I suppose that as you start a fortress, you can designate your first big room and allow all jobs in it (a kind of communal great hall, like the early medieval keeps), and split off functions into specialized rooms as you expand.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2011, 06:53:15 pm »

It would turn workshops into something more closely resembling the way hospitals work right now, which is pretty cool, actually.

Oh hell, I didn't think of it that way.

Maybe we should wait on encouraging this suggestion until Toady convinces the hospital system to work the way it should.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.
Pages: 1 [2] 3