Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Flexible workshops & room definition  (Read 6163 times)

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Flexible workshops & room definition
« on: October 14, 2008, 03:43:48 pm »

Define the workshops like bedrooms are defined now.
Replace the required piece of furniture with a location.
Furniture is placed by the player.
Specific (loose) items are associated with workshops (by the dwarves normally, though the player can force).

Advantages: Workshops
- no longer risk blocking off passages.
- can be placed in irregular spaces (including crossing the z-axis, if implemented).
- can accomodate multiple dwarves and/or multiple jobs
- can be improved gradually, by replacing items and furniture.
- The central piece of furniture can be replaced without deleting the room
- see the dwarf walking around, being busy in his workshop between furniture while working

Disadvantages:
- Essential furniture is not guaranteed to be present
- Potential coding hurdles
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 04:29:16 pm by Silverionmox »
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flexible workshops & room definition
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 03:52:55 pm »

I agree whole-heartedly. However, a potential hurdle could be setting up a room-defined magma furnace/workshop, in the current version, any tile except the center tile may be used, but in a later version, perhaps one should be required to build the furnace directly over the burning magma?

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 03:55:38 pm »

That depends on the stringency of workshop setup. I think that it could even be simpler: just build a forge, and if any square in the forge has magma (or acquires it in the future), it's a magma forge.

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 03:57:28 pm »

That makes good sense. Forges upgrade to their magma forms...I like.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 04:54:25 pm »

That sounds exploitable. Instead, require the anvil to be next to magma.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 05:08:52 pm »

A minor furniture rearrangement, no problem. Why would that be exploitable? The forge would be just a forge without the magma. The dwarf would probably need to walk between the anvil and the magma, so it would be more efficient to have those two close together.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 10:00:52 am »

How about - dwarf has to walk back and forth repeatedly between the anvil and the magma, and the job takes longer the further it is, if they can't both be reached (including diagonally) from a single square.

Furnaces OTOH would have to be built with the furnace bit directly next to (or over, with a grate?) the magma, and that would light up red as it does now.

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 10:12:57 am »

The ability to have multiple construction items in a room would also allow for the production of multiple objects simultaneously in a room, or the ability to have multiple soldiers practice at an archery range.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 02:47:47 pm »

A minor furniture rearrangement, no problem. Why would that be exploitable? The forge would be just a forge without the magma. The dwarf would probably need to walk between the anvil and the magma, so it would be more efficient to have those two close together.
Well, you didn't have that condition initially, so someone like me could've done something like this:

Either 1. Have a single square with magma in the fortress and a dozen anvils at varyingly extreme distances from it, and they all work perfectly
or 2. Place an anvil at a more normal distance (say 5 squares) from the magma, designate room, then put a wall between the anvil and the magma. Currently (admittedly due to a bug) this wouldn't affect the room, so you'd still have a fully functional anvil+magma room combination.

But yes, requiring the dwarf to go between the two fixes both.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 04:27:26 pm »

Nr. 1 wouldn't work very well, because the magma would need to be in the room, and room size is limited. I had the second one in mind as exploit, and that would indeed pass the test as magma forge. I think it's cool to define jobs with a few procedures, and see the dwarf going about his business in the workshop, eg. from magmaor coal bed & bellows to anvil and back a few times, and finally to a barrel of water to quench his piece.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 09:08:31 pm »

The magma furnaces and such could be constructed like a well.  Could also immediately take care of needing to build additional normal workshops for moods.

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 10:29:35 pm »

Realistically speaking, a forge would have an area where the object could be set to heat and then the work area, usually one of several anvils set beside it for quick access, since the speed of both heating and cooling are critical. Lastly quenching barrels. I don't know of any real magma forge, but I've seen documentaries on artists who use lava to create their work in a similar way. So you would need an anvil near a magma source and barrels near an anvil, probably not more than a square between them.
There was also an issue with the lava moving and keeping their stuff from sinking, so a grate may be in order, or possibly something similar but specific to the forge with supports and stays and stuff.
End the slaughter of dorf kittens!
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
-Albert Schweitzer

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 05:07:18 am »

Brilliant.
Also make workshops require actual furniture and tools instead of just rocks and we've got it.
Workbenches mostly, but also anything job-specific.
<3

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 07:05:54 am »

Interesting suggestion...to be honest I don't have any problems with the current workshop system at all, it's working flawlessly. However your suggestion would make it much more flexible and diverse. Ergo I like it.  :D

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 08:04:04 am »

I especially like the bin part. Make dwarves move em to stockpiles once they're full and replace them. If hauling is ever looked into, maybe even have them fetch the new bin first
Pages: [1] 2 3