Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: River + Volcano?  (Read 992 times)

tinsoldier

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
River + Volcano?
« on: October 14, 2008, 03:21:45 pm »

If I redirect my river (well.. brook anyways) into an open magma pipe...  What do I get?  I thought it'd be easy to search for but I didn't see anything... oddly.

The obsidian skyscraper thread got me thinking...

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
Re: River + Volcano?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 03:27:24 pm »

I think you will get obsidsidian which will crust around the point where they touch

If you drop it straight on you will probably get an "A section of the cavern has collapsed" message followed by a chunk of obsidian falling stright through the bottom of the tube
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

tinsoldier

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 03:29:24 pm »

ahh I think you're right, I guess I do remember reading something along those lines.  Oh well, not as exciting as I hoped.

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 03:35:03 pm »

At the very least, its a good way to cap off the pipe and stop the imps from setting your world on fire.

tinsoldier

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 03:38:32 pm »

At the very least, its a good way to cap off the pipe and stop the imps from setting your world on fire.

Sadly they're all dead and no new ones have spawned (don't know if they do respawn but they haven't nevertheless)

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 03:43:57 pm »

Sadly they're all dead and no new ones have spawned (don't know if they do respawn but they haven't nevertheless)

Hmm...

Pump it all out into a magma-tower, let more fill the pipe. Repeat a few times untill you have a massive amount of magma, then flood the world at your next siege. Bonus points if you have a tower rising out of the lava.

Or, if you did it like said earlier, and dumped it right on the middle of the pipe, you could possibly fill the pipe with obsidian and carve a badass tower. You'd need a mold over the pipe to keep it all from going solid, but fun could be had.

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 06:52:12 pm »

had the same in my current fortress just  6 imps as i found the pipe, after killing them no new ones showed up
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 08:56:51 pm »

Imps, magma men, etc don't respawn now.  Unless you reclaim or revisit in adventurer.