Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 40

Author Topic: Evolution Lite - A Supplementary Game  (Read 52014 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution Lite - A Supplementary Game
« Reply #390 on: November 07, 2008, 01:18:17 pm »

Yes, and that means that Andrea can use the religion sphere to use it, without the need for the magic sphere.
...Okay. I'm saying that it wasn't magic. Yes, you can teach them healing. No, you can't teach them magic. They're two different things. As long as it is a religious power, you can teach them it.

Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: November 07, 2008, 01:22:35 pm »

Yes that's what I meant. I'm just pointing out that channeling divine power and using magic are very similar in effect. For example, I've got the protection sphere, so I could probably show the Serani how to channel my power to create some kind of protective divine energy shield. The golems could do the exact same thing, but using magic instead of relying on a deity. For simplicity, we call one magic and the other divine magic.
Fire of Algir Mountain - A quest that doesn't involve getting a crown.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: November 07, 2008, 01:30:33 pm »

Ok webadict, so they can't learn true magic from their gods. Well, what about from Golems? I'm sure they should be able to teach the Serani magic.
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: November 07, 2008, 01:50:33 pm »

Ok webadict, so they can't learn true magic from their gods. Well, what about from Golems? I'm sure they should be able to teach the Serani magic.
The Golems would, yes. It's just that the gods don't have any true insight on Magic (unless there were some sort of Magic god...) I'm not saying the gods can't teach them powers, they just can't teach them Magic.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: November 07, 2008, 02:19:56 pm »

is itpossible for the Entity to learn magic?

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
  • It watches and waits...
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: November 07, 2008, 11:04:47 pm »

Who are we still missing?
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: November 07, 2008, 11:06:51 pm »

Who are we still missing?

Omega Alpha, Rickvoid, Nilocy.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: November 07, 2008, 11:12:16 pm »

Haven't seen Nilocy on the Forum lately, but Omega and rickvoid were certainly on earlier today.
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

omagaalpha

• Bay Watcher
  • positve infinite
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: November 08, 2008, 07:23:57 am »

Haven't seen Nilocy on the Forum lately, but Omega and rickvoid were certainly on earlier today.
eek you mean that many people have posted already. Of course does not help most of week I was working on computer program for college class.
Quote from: Jetsquirrel
Announce that i saw the whole creation of hte universe! and hold the monolith again
|The monolith is alive! And seemingly annoyed by your hugs. Or maybe static electricity of some kind that for some reason didn’t hit you last time.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: November 08, 2008, 08:34:43 am »

you are missing also me. i haven't posted actions and EPs yet.

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: November 08, 2008, 05:25:33 pm »

So:
Iituem             X
omagaalpha     X
Webadict   X
Gantolandon     X
Shikogan         X
Andrea             X
Poltifar       X
Dark              X
Kashyyk            X
Servant Corps  X
Rickvoid   
Aqizzar              X
Nilocy   
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 02:18:58 pm by neo1096 »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: November 08, 2008, 08:59:40 pm »

So whilst we're on the topic let me voice my thoughts on this (and, as the GM, my thoughts may well become the rules unless you can give me a very good argument as to why not).

Regarding divine magic and general magic

'Magic' is a bit of a loose term, but we're going with classical high fantasy manipulation of arcane forces/breaking the laws of physics when I refer to Magic as a sphere.  The Magic sphere relates to the workings of this whole system - it is a set of skills/traits picked up by members of the species learning the tricks and passing them on.

Divine 'magic' as with Endren's attempt to create healers (more on that later) is going to depend on the source here.  If the Entity is attempting to teach a species to manipulate Magic to produce a healing effect, that is a lasting trait picked up by the species.  If the Entity is simply channelling divine power into select members of the species, then it isn't Magic under the rules but rather some manner of divine miracle.

The critical question to ask here is:  If the Entity granting the boon is destroyed, does the boon persist?  If so, then it's a trait for the species.  If not, then it's a bonus granted by the Entity.

With Endren's healers, this is going to depend.  If he is trying to teach them medicine, that is a trait that can be passed on regardless of his presence.  If he is teaching followers to channel the mysterious forces of magic into a healing capacity then that counts as a trait as well (but he needs a good reason to have access to that knowledge, such as being a deity of magic - he does not).  Plus, both of these trait forms would likely come under the Population sphere, even though the disciplines giving rise to them would come under Academic or Magic.  If, as I suspect, he is channelling divine energy into select priests to give them the power to heal the sick, that is a power directly sourced from him and doesn't count as a trait at all.

Should Endren succeed in this, I will quite likely make it such that the benefits only apply to hexes with Endren units in.  It will be quite a difficult task to accomplish, however.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

omagaalpha

• Bay Watcher
  • positve infinite
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: November 09, 2008, 09:03:41 am »

The critical question to ask here is:  If the Entity granting the boon is destroyed, does the boon persist?  If so, then it's a trait for the species.  If not, then it's a bonus granted by the Entity.

I say no given how powerful magic is I think if entity destroy then species no longer get it.

ps yes I still trying to work on RP post.

Note to neo1096 umm you spelled my user name wrong :P

Spoiler: Question about game? (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 09:42:19 am by omagaalpha »
Quote from: Jetsquirrel
Announce that i saw the whole creation of hte universe! and hold the monolith again
|The monolith is alive! And seemingly annoyed by your hugs. Or maybe static electricity of some kind that for some reason didn’t hit you last time.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: November 09, 2008, 12:19:35 pm »

Spoiler:  EPs (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  actions (click to show/hide)

this turn i use a lot of pop units... more to lose, but more to get.
i hope i get good rolls. if i understood well, i get a bonus when i use more than 1 unit.
about all the RP thing, maybe i'll write later. i have much less time now.

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: November 09, 2008, 02:51:18 pm »

Fixed and Updated
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 40