Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 40

Author Topic: Evolution Lite - A Supplementary Game  (Read 52020 times)

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
  • It watches and waits...
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution Lite - A Supplementary Game
« Reply #345 on: November 06, 2008, 03:51:37 pm »

I think Im going to make a list and edit each turn of who has and has not gone so we know who needs to go and who's gone already:
Fixed
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 11:35:59 pm by neo1096 »
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: November 06, 2008, 05:09:24 pm »

Hmm.  In the event you're being attacked by fireballs from golem mages or something, no, because that would be a Military action.  In the event you're beseiged by some sort of specific magical disturbance, you would probably be able to learn some magic from that.

In the same way that being shot by a rifle doesn't teach you about gunsmithy, you see?  You'd at least need to get hold of one and take it apart.

Since the fireballs are an effect of magic, rather than magic itself, you can use non-magical means to defend against them (e.g. boiled leather shields).  The supplementary spheres generally are used to produce effects for/research traits in the primary spheres, rather than to do any attacking etc themselves - although it might be possible to send mages from one hex to another to deliberately sabotage the attempts of the other mages to create an effect (e.g. by causing all their mana crystals to explode or something).

Edit:  As a note.  Academics (technology) are pretty cut and dry.  Taking on psychic and especially taking on the magic sphere gives the GM a license to screw with you in ways you are not expecting.  You have been warned.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 07:10:35 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: November 06, 2008, 05:14:10 pm »

Hmm.  In the event you're being attacked by fireballs from golem mages or something, no, because that would be a Military action.  In the event you're beseiged by some sort of specific magical disturbance, you would probably be able to learn some magic from that.

In the same way that being shot by a rifle doesn't teach you about gunsmithy, you see?  You'd at least need to get hold of one and take it apart.

Since the fireballs are an effect of magic, rather than magic itself, you can use non-magical means to defend against them (e.g. boiled leather shields).  The supplementary spheres generally are used to produce effects for/research traits in the primary spheres, rather than to do any attacking etc themselves - although it might be possible to send mages from one hex to another to deliberately sabotage the attempts of the other mages to create an effect (e.g. by causing all their mana crystals to explode or something).
Okay, well, I'm not gonna waste an action trying to resist fire then...

Hm. Okay. Well then, I'll need to get a hold of this Magic stuff.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: November 06, 2008, 07:13:04 pm »

The ruins of the "Lighting Temple", built by Salmon Blue-Strip:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 07:15:12 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: November 06, 2008, 07:39:01 pm »

I think Im going to make a list and edit each turn of who has and has not gone so we know who needs to go and who's gone already:
For all intensive purposes, a1s seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: November 06, 2008, 08:04:19 pm »

The Hammerites hung in waiting at the high branches, studying the dark shapes flittering through the forest below.  They stalked, shifted and tensed, ready to pounce on the unwary Jottar, when from above a Hammerite gave a shout:

"STOP!" he bellowed.  The dark shapes all turned to look up and he gave a war cry.

"Hammertime!"

As one, the Hammerites pulled up their parachute pants and began to war dance on their tiptoes, side to side in the high branches, before swooping down to commence battle.

This must happen.  I wholeheartedly endorse Hip Hop Hammer Monkeys.

"Impressive as ever.  I must admit, it is good to see you back to full form."

Verinaath picked his teeth, watching the clouds go by.  "Nothing beats a good old fashioned slaughter.  I'll still have to whip some spine into the apes."  He curled into a pleading ball, and affected, "Oh no mighty serpent, that forest is too dark!  Can't we just stay in the village?"  The demigod snorted.  "What's a guy gotta do to get a mob moving these ages?  Wimps wouldn't have lasted five minutes without me."

"I wouldn't discount them so quickly.  Some Jottar are getting quite vicious with their hammers.  I sense a strong, ceremonial warrior cult forming."

"No proper economics yet though.  Or proper respect."

"Give it time.  I've documented some enterprising inventors working on simple machinery.  With a bit of industrialization, accumulation of wealth won't be far behind."

The serpent rubbed his six hands together in anticipation.  "That's even better.  Engineers, that's what I need.  I see it now..."  Verinaath paced furiously through the clouds as he plotted.  "It'll take a while, fifty generations maybe, but if I can get some real tinkers going, they can build me a way off this rock.  And make some real coin off the other twerps down there in the process.  Time to kick this God business into high gear."  He snapped his claws for a demographic display.  "Find me some worshipers!  I've got an engineer's cult to build."

"Oh wonderful!  See what some bloodshed did for your mood?  Well, I've been tracking the immaterium, and I believe some progressive Jottar can...  Oh dear.  I believe there's another presence in the mind-scape."

"What the hell?  That wasn't there last generation, was it?  Tell me some good news, that its a cult mentality forming."

"I'm afraid not.  The waveform is not a recognized manifest pattern, and the Jottar only know it as 'Jeff'.  I believe it may be an outsider."

Verinaath started.  "What?  I thought I was supposed to alone down here.  Is the cordon still in place?  How did somebody get through it?"

"I just tried asking, but I can't get a signal through the cordon field."

"I want you to think about what you just said.  Pfft.  Some prison."  Verinaath grumbled over this new threat to his scheme.  "So the system failed again, just not in my favor.  No matter.  If some hillbilly deity wants to horn in my congregation, then that's all the more reason to get started..."

Spoiler: Actions (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 08:59:39 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
  • It watches and waits...
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: November 06, 2008, 08:53:52 pm »

For all intensive purposes, a1s seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth.
Fixed
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: November 07, 2008, 11:13:44 am »

Hey, hey, Webadict, why are you so intent on being resistant to me??? I'm peaceful :(
If you DO attack me, expect fearce resistance, and probably an alliance against you (me and Serani). Also, I'll convince Urist to help me.
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: November 07, 2008, 11:22:44 am »

well, If you attack JJ will come to the fore, just what I need.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: November 07, 2008, 11:30:43 am »

Hey, hey, Webadict, why are you so intent on being resistant to me??? I'm peaceful :(
If you DO attack me, expect fearce resistance, and probably an alliance against you (me and Serani). Also, I'll convince Urist to help me.
I only wanted to be resistant to Magic in general. You never know what will pop up in a world that's being controlled by other people. Nothing against your Species in general.

You know, except for the whole enslaving thing.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: November 07, 2008, 11:46:18 am »

well, webadict, while a "i'll conquer you all" specie is good for roleplay, it isn't good for surviving. everything you say or do, people will htink it is meant to damage them (and probably is).

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: November 07, 2008, 11:50:27 am »

well, webadict, while a "i'll conquer you all" specie is good for roleplay, it isn't good for surviving. everything you say or do, people will htink it is meant to damage them (and probably is).
I wasn't all for that survival business. What fun is it to be a good guy? Ya know? You can't save the world without somebody to try and destroy it.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: November 07, 2008, 11:56:59 am »

I wasn't all for that survival business. What fun is it to be a good guy? Ya know? You can't save the world without somebody to try and destroy it.

Or enslave. Or even pacify. In my opinion it would be even hard for a species not to be violent in the beginning. Being friendly to others is not something that pays off for a short time, it needs some time to evolve.

Of course, I may be wrong. I have seen only one example of a species which have grown sentient. ;)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: November 07, 2008, 11:57:08 am »

hey, i never complained about it. was just saying that it is normal that when you say anything, people think it is bad for them. mainly because it usually is.

your role in the game is important , and i accept it. when i complain about you, it is as serani leader or i am just saying that people will always think that you are dangerous.

also, probaby evil and good might depend also on the actions and the rolls that iwll happen in the future. if after i put theocracy as serani government madric somehow get most followers in the serani lands (i hope not!) then serani would become more xenopross-like(again, i hope not!)
later i'll post my actions and EPs.

random htought: if serani are enslaved, they still exist, so should i be able to still control them?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 11:58:52 am by andrea »

Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: November 07, 2008, 12:00:19 pm »

I approve of Webadict being one of the bad guys. Without him, there would be no need for Endren.
Fire of Algir Mountain - A quest that doesn't involve getting a crown.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 40