Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 40

Author Topic: Evolution Lite - A Supplementary Game  (Read 52019 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution Lite - A Supplementary Game
« Reply #180 on: October 23, 2008, 12:54:57 am »

Spoiler: Comments (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: EP (click to show/hide)

It came as a shock to the village when the words escaped his jaws.

Bass Black-Dot, the first leader to not belong to the Xenocon in the over Twenty Changings that have occurred, had told them to expand.

They had remembered the Salmon incident well, of how he claimed they would be able to survive in those colonies. Most had assumed that they would never expand again, that it angered Madric, or whatever greater power it may be, for those who doubted Salmon.

This would have been a bold move for any leader, let alone a non-Xenocon. But, Bass saw the tensions of the declining mating and nesting areas. He knew that they would need to expand or die, and, with the lessens learned from the Failed Expansion, he would lead them to the new lands himself, and leave a Xenocon to rule in his place here. It was a brilliant decision, he figured. If he succeeded, he would befriend their ranks and possibly join them, and if he failed, he would die with the settlers and let them lead how they wanted.

It was the perfect trade-off.

One season and four days later:

Swordfish Red-Dot, a young member of the Xenocon and possible future leader, sat on the beach, looking over the ocean. He saw the storm brewing further off the mainland, but more importantly, he remembered.

Remembered what?

He now looked down at his hands, now slightly singed. Had Madric done this? Was it a curse for stealing a piece of the Stone? He saw the piece lodged in his right hand, which was significantly more burnt. It didn't make sense. Nothing did. Madric controlled the weather, right? But, hadn't he taken one of the pieces that had fallen off of the Stone Salmon had offered to Madric? Maybe it was Madric.

He turned around and saw the clump of newly-formed glob of glass behind him. How did I do that? It reflected some of the light of the sun at weird angles and was slightly see-through. It was still warm.

He held out his hands again and concentrated on his hands and, amazingly, felt the Stone fragment in his right hand. He could feel the heat it radiated.

And when he opened his eyes, he say the fire leaping from his hands.

Spoiler: Actions (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 01:06:43 am by webadict »

Shikogan

• Bay Watcher
  • Comically insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 23, 2008, 02:43:45 am »

Sorry to be so picky but what you said doesn't make much sense.

Skin barely protect them from anything save cold and their acid. Particularly it offers almost no UV radiation resistance. The light of the sun causes sunburns and sometimes cancer. Even the light reflected by the moon can be harmful if exposure is long enough. They are much more resistant to alpha, beta and gamma radiation.[/spoiler]
If they are vulnerable to UV radiation which has a larger wavelength than gamma radiation, they would also logically be affected by gamma. The wavelength determines the amount of energy that the radiation has and the smaller the wavelength the larger the energy. so yeah you can't be resistant to gamma and not UV.

Just wanted to point that out.

What if it reacted violently with their skin? Don't assume that your science works here...

If in fact UV radiation did react violently with their skin gamma radiation would too, as reasonable logic would suggest, unless the rules of physics have changed and no-one notified me?
Arguing on the internet is like running in the special Olympics; even if you win you're still retarded.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 23, 2008, 04:33:12 am »

Gamma radiation harms all life by causing the formation of unwanted chemical bonds in the DNA helix, disrupting the structure and causing harmful, localised mutations (usually cancer).  UV works on a slightly different mechanism.

So the Bhuur could well be resistant to gamma rads if they produce a biochemical that preferentially absorbs gamma wavelengths to DNA, but until this comes into play in-game it's a moot point - and if it does, I'll want EP expenditure to back it up.

Edit:  This won't come into play unless the atmosphere breaks down or you go into space.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Shikogan

• Bay Watcher
  • Comically insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 23, 2008, 05:13:05 am »

On a slightly different note.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

okay,
EP

Actions
Arguing on the internet is like running in the special Olympics; even if you win you're still retarded.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 23, 2008, 05:40:57 am »

If they are vulnerable to UV radiation which has a larger wavelength than gamma radiation, they would also logically be affected by gamma. The wavelength determines the amount of energy that the radiation has and the smaller the wavelength the larger the energy. so yeah you can't be resistant to gamma and not UV.

Just wanted to point that out.

Uh, I knew I shouldn't have involved physics and biology into this... But I didn't suppose I'll make a mistake there, I thought it's their digestive tract where people are going to protest. ;)

Gamma radiation harms all life by causing the formation of unwanted chemical bonds in the DNA helix, disrupting the structure and causing harmful, localised mutations (usually cancer).  UV works on a slightly different mechanism.

So the Bhuur could well be resistant to gamma rads if they produce a biochemical that preferentially absorbs gamma wavelengths to DNA, but until this comes into play in-game it's a moot point - and if it does, I'll want EP expenditure to back it up.

It was just a flavor text - their resistance to gamma radiation means they are more resistant to it than UV radiation. Mainly because they spend most time under the surface of earth. So no, it doesn't mean they can drink from pitchblende mugs. I just wanted to explain why they have no reason to like the sunlight.

Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 23, 2008, 07:17:42 am »

Endren watched the Serani for years, though in his eyes it was but a moment. Words were spoken often by the three deities but the Serani clearly did not have much faith in what was said. Indeed, as strange as their pressence might be, how could the Serani expect to truely believe if they had not seen any proof of their power?

It was time to act again, but this time there would be less place for words. Endren walked from home to home with the purpose of exercising his powers with the Serani personally. He would visit each and every Serani that lived in the village to cure them of every ache and pain. The sick would be made healthy, the old would be made lively and all shall see what Endren can offer them.

In the times when healing was not necessary Endren waited in the new temple. He openly offered help and advice to any Serani, whether they be worried of something or if they simply had a tough decision to make. Questions were answered and disputes were settled. Endren too spoke that he will be watching over every Serani so they need never be alone.

But there was still more Endren could offer. Indeed, perhaps the most important of Endren's services. When the time comes for the dead to be buried, Endren will be there. Though a sad time, he reminds all that the fallen Serani will rest in harmony. Most importantly, he aids the spirits of the dead to reach his domain of peace, whether they follow him strongly or not.

In the end all Serani of good intention will see Endren to guide them to the afterlife.

Spoiler: Comments (click to show/hide)
Fire of Algir Mountain - A quest that doesn't involve getting a crown.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 29, 2008, 11:47:14 am »

Woo! Forums back online! Let's do this!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 29, 2008, 12:34:27 pm »

Quote from: Shikogan
Learning from the recent attacks the Jottar have been training with their hammers in order to defend against these raiders from the north. A new clan has been formed in order to deal with overseeing the training and further development with the hammers; they have called themselves the Hammer Clan, or in the ancient language Hammerites.

The Hammerites hung in waiting at the high branches, studying the dark shapes flittering through the forest below.  They stalked, shifted and tensed, ready to pounce on the unwary Jottar, when from above a Hammerite gave a shout:

"STOP!" he bellowed.  The dark shapes all turned to look up and he gave a war cry.

"Hammertime!"

As one, the Hammerites pulled up their parachute pants and began to war dance on their tiptoes, side to side in the high branches, before swooping down to commence battle.

Ahem.  I'll put Language into Social Action and Hammerites into Military Action.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 12:42:47 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 29, 2008, 12:43:33 pm »

50 years have passed since the fateful day when the stone of omen fell from the sky. Since that day, the Golems have been tirelessly working. No matter the failed attempts, wether at construction, colonisation, or learning magic, they persevered.

Among all the Golems, none was more determined and perseverent than Verus Virtus. The most powerful Golem ever known in the race's short history, wether in political might and support or in magical and physical prowess, Verus now led the Golems after a decision made by the council of all the Noble Golems. But he was not just some sit-and-give-mandates kind of Noble. He had actually been the leader of the colonization attempt sent to the south-easter peaks, and one of the three sole survivors of that incident. Back then, he was already a Golden Noble, but now, in thanks to his many deeds and achievements, he had been given a new, better body. He now resided in a body of incredible beauty, sculpted from special alloys of the highest quality aluminum and platinum, adorned with many sparkling gems. Now, not only did his deeds and works represent exactly the perfection and determination that the whole Golem race strived for, but even his body embodied that racial strive.

Standing on one of the higher ledges near the opening of their cave, Verus thought about what he would do next. For the past few years, the Golems had done little other than recuperate from the incedents that had befallen them. Now, it was time to act again. First, the main population desperately needed a new home, because of the previous strip-mining activities leaving their current land worse than before. Furthermore, they needed to get hold of all the riches of the south-eastern mountain. That would be no easy task, and thus the golems had been working on building better golems capable of dealing with the problems that they will face. All that remained was for Verus to give the order that would send three-fourths of the Golem population into very dangerous and hostile territory. It was a gamble, and a very big one at that, but even if all of these golems were lost, more could be built. The Golems were patient, they had all the time they needed to try and try again.

That left only one matter. The matter of that weird seemingly organic creature that had taught them magic for many, many years. According to basic logic, such an organic creature should have atleast aged considerably throughout all these years, yet it showed not a single sign of growing old. Verus decided to go meet that entity himself, to see if he could convince it to teach Golems some more magic, which might turn out useful in the future.

Spoiler: EP Usage (click to show/hide)

<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 29, 2008, 02:04:18 pm »

finally i can write! but since i had to wait days it won't be as good as i wanted. i feel it will be short, and that i might forget something.

:(

well, i start writing.

i'll make some text also about EPs. and i might make some extra tesxt just because i didn't like to wait so much to write the turn.

i'll edit this post later, it will take some time to write it (i might repost, if many people post after this)

AHHH! most of my old post was deleted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 02:37:12 pm by andrea »

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 29, 2008, 02:43:26 pm »

it seems alot of older posts have been partially deleted :(
<@Akroma> eh

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 29, 2008, 02:56:35 pm »

my... post... i spent hours on that. there was an important part of serani history there. i can't rewrite it, because it will never be as good as the first time. :'(

at least seranipedia was saved. well ,i lost the lera-mabali, but only that i think.
do you think tehre is any way to get it back?

it will take much more time to write now. i feel sad, and much less interested now. probably i won't finish it today.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 29, 2008, 02:59:21 pm »

i'm not sure wether there's a way to recover the lost post parts, it's all up to Toady to find a way to do so... I think we should from now on save all our important rp and stuff in a notepad file on our computer or something, incase something like that happens again.
<@Akroma> eh

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 29, 2008, 03:00:30 pm »

Unfortunately I've only been saving the Turn Posts until now, but if you guys like I can try and keep a record of story posts as well.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 29, 2008, 03:05:48 pm »

i am sorry, i can't write now. i'll write the turn tomorrow.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 40