Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 40

Author Topic: Evolution Lite - A Supplementary Game  (Read 51920 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution Lite - A Supplementary Game
« Reply #480 on: November 19, 2008, 06:16:35 pm »

I'd do it, except that I DON'T HAVE THE EQUATIONS!

Plus, who would take my place? Some hippy Elf? No way!

omagaalpha

• Bay Watcher
  • positve infinite
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: November 19, 2008, 06:40:27 pm »

Actual think most equation are in the game rules and that so, too me I think could do it if push come to shove.
Quote from: Jetsquirrel
Announce that i saw the whole creation of hte universe! and hold the monolith again
|The monolith is alive! And seemingly annoyed by your hugs. Or maybe static electricity of some kind that for some reason didn’t hit you last time.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: November 20, 2008, 05:07:15 am »

yes, all equations should be in the rules, it is much less complex than the original evolution.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: November 20, 2008, 10:27:31 am »

Plus, who would take my place? Some hippy Elf? No way!

Come now, I don't have pointy ears.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: November 21, 2008, 05:18:14 pm »

I had time to write these days, but I didn't do it. and I want to explain: I have a story related to this world, and instead of thinking about serani here, I thought about serani there. and now it is too late (I barely remember actions).

I feel sorry about this, so I'll torture you with the plot of this story(not that bad, don't worry. I think something good can come out of it.), because I am not sure if I’ll write it, and I don't want to let the idea die without anyone knowing about it.

first, a bit of background:
on the Earth,  world war III happens, and it is one of the shortest wars of human kind. the first(and last) act of this war was a nuke hitting London and destroying it, producing the biggest man-made explosion ever seen and leaving only a radioactive wasteland; people in all the world where shocked by this and most of the governments of the nations involved in the war were dismissed; now peace was a important problem to solve, and UN started to get more power to keep peace in the world.
after a decade the UN became a global government, although nations were still called independent, and could leave UN, but this right was used only once and the nation joined again UN few years later.
peace and a more efficient and global government made wonders for science and economy, improving the life of the people of the old poor countries, and even the life of the richest. more diseases could be healed, and new developments in science, unthinkable before that time, became real. the top of the science of this period was the accidental discovery of hyperspace travel during an experiment in a new particle collider, where scientists could see a particle who travelled faster than light.
it is still unknown how hyperspace jumps work, but it works and some years after that particle, the first drives were ready to be tested, and space colonization became a standard topic during elections and even at home with friends. finally, the first ship was sent outside the borders of the solar system, and many other travels were made; but the outside space wasn't empty: a day a human ship found an unknown ship in the space, belonging to an unknown alien race.
attempts to communicate were made  with small results, or at least it seemed to be so: they learned English and several other languages soon, managing to know where the earth was without the humans knowing. for unknown reasons they attacked earth, causing millions of deaths before UN could activate again the old nuclear weapons and destroy the few alien ships. knowing that it was only the beginning, a race to build new ships and to use the new technology on weapons began, and the war , that still is being fought, started.

technology:
human space weapons are projectile weapons, where bullets get accelerated to relativistic speeds. other common weapon is a system made of several laser beams that focus on one point of the enemy ship to melt the outer hull.
on land, most used weapons are lasers, since they are the best known weapon to fight animals and aliens.
other than hyperspace drive, another big invention was the regenerator, a machine that could stimulate cell growth to heal even the worst injuries: flesh wounds are healed in few hours to one day, broken bones in 2 to 7 days, and a missing limb can be regrowth in a month or 2. its limits are the brain, that if destroyed cannot b brought back to life as the old person, and cancer, since using it would make cancer grow. cancer is the main reason for death (after old age). only small improvements toward a longer max age were made by genetics. the regenerator, at the time of the story, is new, and used only by the army/navy and in a couple of the biggest and most important hospitals on earth.
FTL (Faster Than Light) TV or similar is impossible, because after a long jump particles decay or are moved away form their path.
to avoid this, ships make hundreds of small jumps per second. in fact, what is called "a hyperspace jump" is made by millions of very small jumps, so small that the ship and the people in it aren't damaged.
communication between solar systems happens by small pods with only a hyperspace drive and a computer to control the drive and store informations

and here the story begins:
a probe travels in space, when it is it from a powerful signal. it makes few jumps, to find the direction from which the signal came, then goes back to earth to report the new informations.
a new probe is sent to the planet, where empty cities could be seen, and only few animals, but without big damage, like it was abandoned.
a team of people is made to be sent to the planet (I’ll try to use only 7 people. long live DF!): there will be a xenoarchaeologist(archaeologist that focus on alien cities. one of the new jobs that spawned form nowhere when humans met the alien race that they are now fighting. it proved quite unwise since at the time of the story there were lots of xeno-jobs and only 1 (hostile) alien race known. well, 1 alien race and robots, but I’ll speak about that later), a xenobiologist (this one already exist), a language expert, a technology expert, somebody from the military and probably a couple more.
while they are on the planet they will face several dangers, new parts of their and world's history will be told, new discoveries will be made. wild animals, the serani temple (because you probably guessed it by now: it is the planet where we are playing[but I had to change something]), the glowing stone, a museum with statues of every animal on the planet, and a special room for sentient beings: serani, xenopross, jottari, bhuur, and robots* (robots are golems. sorry omegaalpha, but if I use humans I can't use monoliths from 2001: space odyssey. also, gods will be no more real entities. no more than the gods we believe in. if they exist, they are out of our world and can't do much).
at the end, they will discover a lab where they find
Spoiler: big spoiler (click to show/hide)
and discover that
Spoiler: veery big spoiler (click to show/hide)

* the robots, called RR-01 (replicator robots 01) are robots found on some planets. their main goal seem to be harvesting all the resources of a planet, using them to build copies of themselves, then sending some of them to other planets, while the other ones just switch off and stay on the depleted planet. their true meaning is yet to be understood, but some people say that they might be harvesting robots sent by another civilization, that is now extinct. that would explain why they mine all resources and then wait on the planet, but nobody comes to claim them.

ok, now I think that I must tell you that I posted it here not only to give a reason about why I didn't write any RP for action, and not only because it is linked to the world we are playing, but mainly because I had to tell it to someone.
maybe I should start a new thread called “project: xenoarcheology (long story)” ?

well, I spent hours to write all that, so I’ll still post and if you think I should remove it, I will do it.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: November 21, 2008, 05:25:02 pm »

"Language Expert"? That's definitely the Xenopross.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: November 21, 2008, 05:28:56 pm »

of course. in this storyline xenopross are still very good at learning language. no magic knowledge, but very good at it.
unluckly, they are all dead. well, probably there are some xenopross in the memory banks (i used spoilers before just because i liked them).
but during most of the story only races are humans and the enemy aliens (i have to find a name for them)

also, i used word to spellcheck that wall of text :D spelling should be good. it is a new thing for me.

omagaalpha

• Bay Watcher
  • positve infinite
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: November 21, 2008, 05:41:59 pm »

Wow that very good story.
Announce that i saw the whole creation of hte universe! and hold the monolith again
|The monolith is alive! And seemingly annoyed by your hugs. Or maybe static electricity of some kind that for some reason didn’t hit you last time.

Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: November 21, 2008, 05:45:49 pm »

That's writing on an epic level Andrea! You could quite easily be a very good writer in the future.
Fire of Algir Mountain - A quest that doesn't involve getting a crown.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: November 21, 2008, 05:48:52 pm »

thanks. (and sorry again about your monoliths). the hard thing will be writing it... background, technology and plot are 2 pages in word. so i think that i wouldn't be happy with anyhting less than book sized. (tens of pages).
and this probably mean that i'll be unhappy. but maybe i'll still try.
and start a thread in this forum for discussion and help (not being a native english speaker, i will have some problems. and for some unknown reason, it wouldn't feel right to use any language other than english. sometimes i hate myself)

edit before posting to dark: i hope so! that seem an interesting job. mainly because i like reading, and i read very quickly.  finished all the books? i write a new one.
and.. that is not writing yet. that is only the world and the plot. it has to be expanded a lot

omagaalpha

• Bay Watcher
  • positve infinite
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: November 21, 2008, 08:07:39 pm »

That ok :P

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: November 24, 2008, 01:35:53 pm »

Ituem has been gone for nine days... This is bad, I hope no exam or project struck him down.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: November 24, 2008, 01:37:35 pm »

me too!

i hope he posts soon. at least something like "hi, i am still alive".

if he is gone, whop will be the new GM?

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: November 24, 2008, 01:44:25 pm »

I am in the same position as webadict

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: November 24, 2008, 01:51:36 pm »

oh, since we are here and we have nothing else to do (in this thread at least) what do you think about the idea i wrote about earlier on this page?
i thought that if enough people liked it, i would start a thread where i would put some ideas and updates (if i manage to write something)
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 40