Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 40

Author Topic: Evolution Lite - A Supplementary Game  (Read 52038 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution Lite - A Supplementary Game
« Reply #225 on: October 30, 2008, 06:20:38 pm »

endren the wise has spoken, and has said the truth (much better than i could do)

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 30, 2008, 06:24:30 pm »

It will become even more interesting when the species will know about each other. Shaping their philosophies and points of view will be somewhat harder, though. For example the Golems and the Gonoliths propably will cause a culture shock in Bhuur. They move, talk, work, yet don't eat and cannot be eaten? What are they?

It will be hard for the Serani to stay peaceful with so many bloodthirsty races. But perhaps you'll find an idea how to play it as your advantage. It means less domestic wars, no bloodshed and greater integrity.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 30, 2008, 06:39:54 pm »

i think my serani will like golems... they are magic and can use magic, it is the kind of supernatural power they worship.

about the monoliths... i think that the meeting of any race with the monoliths is going to be interesting at least. they are like nothing else.
that is why they won't have the prefix "sera". it is just too hard to understand if they are sentient animals, non sentient animals or plants or... well, anything.

and yes, while i will still call the species with their own names, my serani won't. if that specie can speak, probably the serani will just add "sera" at the beginning. maybe the name will change a bit, but not much. about species who can't speak in any way... wel, your fault. i'll just invent something.
if i do this it isn't because i think your decisions are wrong, but because i want to keep my serani as realistic as i want, and they just don't have the same language as the other species (but xenopross. if i remember well they can speak and understand any language. unluckly, i don't think there will be much talking with them)

Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 30, 2008, 06:54:30 pm »

I hope I can get some Sera-Endrani this round, I need all the devote followers I can get!
Fire of Algir Mountain - A quest that doesn't involve getting a crown.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 30, 2008, 08:04:21 pm »

Turn Updates will likely come Saturday, swamped atm.  Quick repost of Verinaath (full repost to come probably on Sat):

Verinaath

Inspire Gathering in Jottarians (Population or Economic)

In the months that followed, more and more Jottarians told tales of a great serpent that came to them when they were alone, or else in dreams, and spoke to them.  It had compelled them to search for more and varied types of herbs and fruit, to seek out rarities and profit from them.  Unfortunately, the fruit it had guided them to was bitter and many upset stomachs came from the herbs it had suggested.  After some time, the Jottarians began to regard the words of such visions with less weight.

Attempt failed; Loss of 1 point in Religion (Power)

Encourage Exploration & Expansion

Other Jottarians were visited in their dreams or alone by the great serpent, receiving visions and warnings that great signs would come to show them a path to great prosperity and fortune.  One day, at a great feast being held by a village oft-plagued by such visions, the vines in the trees rose up of their own volition, twisting themselves all in a certain direction.  A rising wind came, blowing to the north-west, and they knew.  As one, the village began to move.

Successfully twist a number of Jottarians into attempting an Expedition to C23.

Also, yes.  I did put the serani there deliberately, but I also gave them two entities with peace and protection as their primary motives.  As the GM, I have the power to be quite, quite evil.

For the record, it is possible to kill an Entity.  Simply destroy its avatar and all influenced units it possesses.  This is the same as destroying any record of it, the only way to kill an idea.

So, if you kill Endren's avatar but he has worshippers, he still exists.  If he manifests a new avatar and you kill all his worshippers, he'll still survive.  If you kill both his avatar and all his worshippers, he ceases to be and Dark can make a new Entity if he wants.

If you wipe out a species... well done?  I won't make it too easy, and there are benefits to slavery/absorption over outright destruction.  However, the ousted player can become an Entity and a replacement species might become available later on in the game.

Oh, and speaking of domestic wars?  Those will happen.  Social unity checks will become more important as your civilisations grow more advanced.  Plus, you're playing on the Species level, not the civilisation level.  Intra-species warfare is perfectly possible (that's why we have Entities, really).
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 30, 2008, 08:21:14 pm »

Hell, Switzerland only managed to stay out of Germany's march because his generals felt it would take less time and cost less men and material to assault the Soviet Union.

According to the History Channel, it was also because Switzerland was assisting Germany secretly too (all I could remember was having Germany store money within money). But that's another story for another time.

What fun is it to live in a world where we hold each others hand and sing "Kumbaya" while rocking back and forth around a campfire?

Pretty fun actually. Why else would millions die in real life in the hope that one day, their future generations will sing "Kumbaya"?

...Alright, alright, I'm going to want to spoil something.

Yes, this is a game. And yes, the goal is fun. But there is also the need to have some strategtic elements too, and that includes engaging in skilled diplomacy. After all, the gimmick of your race is the fact that your race wanted to use non-violence in order to persuade other races to willingly enslave themselves. Well. Erm. Said gimmick was kinda forgotten.

Sure, you may decide to take up an villianous species, and yes, that's great. But don't be suprised if other people decide to use that against you to further their own interests. Other people are also playing a game.

Think of it as the difference between "Risk" and "Chess". Some people like conquering the world with huge armies. Others like coming up with subtle moves and counter-moves to try and flank out their foes. Some people have fun not through conquest, but through international politics.

Take this motto to heart: Stay Alert. Trust No One. Keep your laser handy.

I'm thinking instead of burning (I'm not a fire-god, after all) perhaps tieing/chaining the unbelievers to a lightning-bolt shaped obelisk (or wood carving, or whatever) and letting them die from exposure would be a Madric approved sacrifice/punishment.

Throw them in a damp lake, and then have Madric throw a lighting bolt on the lake so as to give the heatens a little treatment of 'shock and awe'.

Unless, of course, Madric doesn't approve of such sacrifice, and see it as an evil reactionary practice. Then no need to throw them in said lake. Of course.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 08:33:51 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 30, 2008, 08:24:00 pm »

Hey Iituem, I reposted my first turn, since it got cut off.

I forgot what happened to me in the result though, and it got cut off in your post.  Can't really post Verinaath's next move until I see it again.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 30, 2008, 08:39:30 pm »

Throw them in a damp lake, and then have Madric throw a lighting bolt on the lake so as to give the heatens a little treatment of 'shock and awe'.

That phrase is going to amuse for the next week, at least.  ;D

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 30, 2008, 09:57:05 pm »

You're right... I'm not particularly violent except in certain cases... Oh well. I'll work with it. I can still enslave. And nobody said anything about willing enslavement. Only diplomatic conquering. Sometimes that does involve a little military, but not total warfare. We'll see how it goes.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 31, 2008, 03:59:46 am »

dark, since endren is a god "sera" is not used. while it mean "sentient being" it is used only for sentient animals, because using it on a god would mean lowering the god to the animals.
but from what i saw endren seem quite firendly and might want to get nearer to the serani... we will see.
also, i see that i worked well enough on the names, because sera-endrani would be the right name for him.

about me being near xenopross... while as a player i am worried, i must say that as a GM i would probably have done the same thing. too good to be wasted... the peaceful and religious and the warlovers...

also, now i'l lwrite seranipedia about religion (i'll edit the old post)

edit: my old turn is back!!!

also, i still think that the lightning rod is better than the lake. a lightning rod can also be wooden... trees works quite well i heard.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 04:01:56 am by andrea »

Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 31, 2008, 07:03:41 am »

I was thinking that Sera-Endrani might reference to the sentience of Endren, or in other words, Endren's will. Serani that follow Endren would be exercising this will, and thus they become Sera-Endrani, the will of Endren. Or at least that's how I see it, I think it works well. I am unsure how the Serani refer to Endren himself though, but simply calling him Endren is fine for me.

On a side note, I just realised that Joulan and Jouli are the gods of power. I can't believe I only got that now.
Fire of Algir Mountain - A quest that doesn't involve getting a crown.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 31, 2008, 07:51:10 am »

We're not warlovers! We're backstabbers! And sly, cunning beasts.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 31, 2008, 08:55:28 am »

is it any better?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 31, 2008, 09:46:18 am »

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 31, 2008, 11:16:46 am »

Since webadict seems so intent on enslaving the Golems and other races, I think I'll have to built all future golems with built-in self-destruct devices...
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 40