Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 40

Author Topic: Evolution Lite - A Supplementary Game  (Read 51969 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution Lite - A Supplementary Game
« Reply #165 on: October 22, 2008, 03:03:50 pm »

i was a bit sad when i saw that forest colony failed. but i was happy when i saw that you used my animal from the seranipedia for that :D

good turn, i enjoyed it.
and i like also the temple that was built.

the lack of both endren and joulan/jouli's worshippers will make it harder for me to start my religion... i'll have to do that next turn.

edit: will map be updated today?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 22, 2008, 03:06:49 pm »

TURN TWO

Fifty years have passed since the stones fell...

Local Scenario: The Highest Peaks, The Darkest Deeps

Affects:  Bhuur, Golems, Urist

Despite (and indeed, encouraged by) the failed attempts at colonising the mountains at F20, explorer/adventurers from both the Bhuur and the Golems have periodically wandered into the mountain ranges there in search of food, ore or opportunity.  Many golems have attempted to climb the peaks and been waylaid and damaged or destroyed by the giant birds that nest there, as well as the harsh weather around the peak.  Those that return have brought tales of rich veins of ore at the peak, as well as small deposits of some of the rare crystals Urist has been attempting to teach them to use for magic.  Similarly, Bhuur delvers have followed the natural cavern network that honeycombs part of the mountain towards the deeper regions of the mountain, but have been attacked by nameless, near-silent horrors.  Survivors tell tales of a whooshing sound, followed by the screams of the unfortunate and a piercing cry.  They also report curious new types of stone in the deep, as well as reports of hearing a river somewhere in the catacombs.

Local Scenario: The Butterfly Flaps Its Wings

Affects:  Xenopross, Xenocon, PPT, Madric

Madric's inexperienced tampering with the weather has had unforseen side effects.  For decades now, yearly hurricanes have struck the northern coast and are increasing in ferocity with each passing year.  Adherents of Madric are crying out for succour, whilst the Xenopross are frequently washed out of their homes by flooding.  On the bright side, the fish stocks are booming.

Local Scenario: Shin-who?

Affects:  Serani, Endren, Joulan & Jouli

Although initially inspired by the words of the three deities, cultural and religious development amongst the Serani has given rise to a multitude of little faiths based around worshipping the spirits present in everyday objects.  Although currently lacking the actual power the manifest deities possess, this faith is proving extremely popular and shows signs of unifying into a single body that could wield significant political and spiritual power.

Local Scenario: The Elephants' Graveyard

Affects: Monoliths

The desolate sands at F16 bear witness to a great failure of the Monoliths; hundreds upon hundreds of dead black oblongs stick out from the sands, the wind whistling through them in an eerie melody.  Now and again, lone Monoliths have attempted to scout or scavenge from the area.  Many of them return deeply unsettled, talking of strange visions and broken fragments of thought, as if the ghosts of the dead were calling to them from the sands.

Local Event: Raiders

Affects:  Jottarians, Verinaath, Jeff

Ever since the failed expedition to colonise the northwestern forests, there have been scattered reports of the strange black creatures in the home forests.  In more recent years these beasts have become more brazen, attacking and raiding Jottarian villages for food and sometimes even tools.  At present, they show no sign of stopping and are getting more brazen each season.

Turn Two Map
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 22, 2008, 03:16:10 pm »

now, do you somehow know what i wanted for serani's religion, or are you just being lucky?

Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 22, 2008, 03:41:19 pm »

Looks like this isnt going to be as easy as I thought! I'll have to switch from talk to action this turn, if words don't work then it's time to show off your power. The Serani will soon understand what the three strangers are capable of.
Fire of Algir Mountain - A quest that doesn't involve getting a crown.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 22, 2008, 03:44:03 pm »

nothing dangerous please... i don't want the newly built temple to be destroyed

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 22, 2008, 04:05:51 pm »

Madric looks upon his temple, and sees that it is good.

Also, oops.  :-[

I'll think of something to try and fix those storms here in a bit. I'm debating just claiming responsibility, declaring it a "punishment", and calling it a day.  ;D

Lastly, do the gods upgrade points come from their worshippers? I guess I'm just trying to figure out how long it'll be before Madric gets better at this sort of thing.

omagaalpha

• Bay Watcher
  • positve infinite
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 22, 2008, 04:17:57 pm »

Question do EP you spend take effect on action you specify on that turn?

On another note I realize Monolith at least when I think of 2001 and 2010 that religous is something you don't think of Monoliths having. So if that ever happen will be very interest thing to figure out how to do it.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 04:23:07 pm by omagaalpha »
Quote from: Jetsquirrel
Announce that i saw the whole creation of hte universe! and hold the monolith again
|The monolith is alive! And seemingly annoyed by your hugs. Or maybe static electricity of some kind that for some reason didn’t hit you last time.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 22, 2008, 04:25:23 pm »

You spend EP to upgrade your traits permanently by that many points.

And entity upgrade points come from the number of units they control, yes.  So Madric will get one PP/turn when he has 5 religious units under his influence.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 22, 2008, 04:51:49 pm »

10 years after the Acquisition

The herd mother was unsettled.

The homelands begun to get crowded. It was easier to encounter another fellow lizard than any other plant or animal. Some herds begun to raid burnlands above in search for more food. But some preyed on the flesh of their own, killing gatherer parties and taking their food. Invading nests and eating the young ones were not uncommon. While the herd mothers were strong enough to repel a lone predator, they hardly could manage to survive a fight with about eight Bhuur. Life in homelands really became somewhat stressful.

Then something strange happened. The offspring changed rapidly, as if they tried to become accustomed to all the changes. After an epidemic of stillbirths, the next generation became much more intelligent than their parents.

The herd mother couldn't grasp all the changes, let alone comprehend what did they mean. She knew only that her offspring scared her somewhat. Some sounds they did make didn't seem to mean anything. Yet they could comprehend themselves. Now the maternal instinct fought the hunger successfully. But Bhuur have eaten anything what differed too much. Now the herd mother was satiated, but no one could tell what will happen if the gatherers don't bring the food she needed...

Unfortunately for her, her offspring knew this too. That's why they crowded her when she had gone to sleep. The gatherers indeed did not return for a long time, but it was meaningless. The bloated body sustained the new herd mother until their arrival.

And this is how the first Feast begun...

40 years after the Acquisition

Bhuur was their name. The Eaters.

They stalked the Homelands and the Burnlands. They gathered the Bhuuree - the food. Was it a plant, an animal or one of the less developed lizards - it didn't matter. One could eat or be eaten.

In fact, similar changes afflicted several herds. All of them had grown and split, eliminating those unlucky ones who couldn't communicate between themselves as good as they. The contact between them was occassional, so their speech differed much. But one word were common for all of them - the one which told them who they are.

There were some occasions, when a Bhuur could become Bhuree. In fact, it could happen very often. Failed gathering. Crippling injury. Being in a wrong place in a wrong time. In fact, some herds still regarded everyone who were not them as Bhuree...

50 years after the Acquisition

"Water. Not-stone.", burped the Mother.

The Spike-Rock herd were the first one which discovered the new lands below. Now they didn't know what to do with their new knowledge. If there were no food below, what dit the deeps matter? But the perspective of acquiring more not-stone excited almost every Bhuur.

But there was the matter of horrors below...

"They Eat", said one of the gatherers.
"No. We Eat.", said another one.
"They too."
"They Eat. We Food?"
"We Eat them. They Food then", one suggested.

The Herd Mother thought for a while. If the horrors were the Bhuur, it would definitely mean they're Bhuree. She have never thought about herself as Bhuree, but it was a matter of fact. None of those, who had confronted the horrors, returned.

"Mother? What we do? What are we?"
"We Eaters. They... Eaters Eaters? (Bhuurubhuur). They want Food. We give they Food.", the Mother responded.
"How give Food? Little Food here."
"Other herds. Those regard we Food. We make them Food. We give them to Eaters Eaters. They leave we."
"They leave we?"
"I leave you if you bring Food. They leave we if we bring Food."

The gatherers thought about it for a while. It made sense.

Spoiler: Evolution Points (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Actions (click to show/hide)

(I'm not sure about the grammar in this post, as it was quite long. If you spot an error, just let me know and I'll correct it)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 05:31:54 pm by Gantolandon »

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 22, 2008, 06:35:59 pm »

I'll try editing in an RP post and later on think of actions.

All actions typed.

EDIT: Oh, and Wimania and Alcoveria are both fish species, keeping within the style of Xenopross names (altough I did entertain the idea of the PPT eventually fading out the the use of fish names). Both those fish species are extinct, so that may be a reason why you never hear of them.

EDIT2: Just realized that Salmon Blue-Stripe claimed to be Madric, so hm. I'm going to need to edit the background to deal with that new information. But Salmon Blue-Strip is dead, so Alcoveria can still claim to worship him, I guess. Let me think about it.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 08:35:39 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 22, 2008, 06:57:26 pm »

Something about the Bhuur.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Shikogan

• Bay Watcher
  • Comically insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 22, 2008, 11:02:50 pm »

Sorry to be so picky but what you said doesn't make much sense.

Skin barely protect them from anything save cold and their acid. Particularly it offers almost no UV radiation resistance. The light of the sun causes sunburns and sometimes cancer. Even the light reflected by the moon can be harmful if exposure is long enough. They are much more resistant to alpha, beta and gamma radiation.[/spoiler]
If they are vulnerable to UV radiation which has a larger wavelength than gamma radiation, they would also logically be affected by gamma. The wavelength determines the amount of energy that the radiation has and the smaller the wavelength the larger the energy. so yeah you can't be resistant to gamma and not UV.

Just wanted to point that out.
Arguing on the internet is like running in the special Olympics; even if you win you're still retarded.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 22, 2008, 11:28:37 pm »

Sorry to be so picky but what you said doesn't make much sense.

Skin barely protect them from anything save cold and their acid. Particularly it offers almost no UV radiation resistance. The light of the sun causes sunburns and sometimes cancer. Even the light reflected by the moon can be harmful if exposure is long enough. They are much more resistant to alpha, beta and gamma radiation.[/spoiler]
If they are vulnerable to UV radiation which has a larger wavelength than gamma radiation, they would also logically be affected by gamma. The wavelength determines the amount of energy that the radiation has and the smaller the wavelength the larger the energy. so yeah you can't be resistant to gamma and not UV.

Just wanted to point that out.

What if it reacted violently with their skin? Don't assume that your science works here...

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 22, 2008, 11:32:07 pm »

EDIT2: Just realized that Salmon Blue-Stripe claimed to be Madric, so hm. I'm going to need to edit the background to deal with that new information. But Salmon Blue-Strip is dead, so Alcoveria can still claim to worship him, I guess. Let me think about it.

No, no, he never claimed to be him. He claimed that Madric wanted a temple, which was actually for him. It's fine the way you have it.

EDIT: Sorry for the double post.

EDIT 2:
"On The Madric Hurricanes, by Wimania Red-Dot, Published In The Ten Hunderth Changing of the Glorious Xenopross Intergalactial Emperor"
A Xenocon wrote this?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 11:41:16 pm by webadict »

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 23, 2008, 12:26:33 am »

A Xenocon wrote this?

No, no, just someone who descended from them. "The Ten Hunderth Changing of the Glorious Xenopross Intergalactial Emperor" should clue you in on his bias.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 40