Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 40

Author Topic: Evolution Lite - A Supplementary Game  (Read 51803 times)

omagaalpha

• Bay Watcher
  • positve infinite
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution Lite - A Supplementary Game
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2008, 06:33:11 pm »

Spoiler: Species:Monoliths (click to show/hide)

Try hardest come up basic for my race but not sure I did it right. But if seen 2001 & 2010 : A Space Odyssey's Monoliths that what try to make my race be like them.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 06:38:33 pm by omagaalpha »
Quote from: Jetsquirrel
Announce that i saw the whole creation of hte universe! and hold the monolith again
|The monolith is alive! And seemingly annoyed by your hugs. Or maybe static electricity of some kind that for some reason didn’t hit you last time.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2008, 12:02:38 am »

So... I guess I'll try this. I've chosen a Species. I've made the Xenopross race. Beware all!

Spoiler: Species: Xenopross (click to show/hide)

Also, I haven't played this before, but I hope this is correct. If not, I'll certainly fix it.

EDIT: I removed Usurp for now, as they probably aren't usurping anything right now. I also upped Fishing a bit, and lowered Hard Skin I and II and a couple speech traits, as they aren't so developed right now. I also gave them nest-building, as it seemed appropriate. And I changed Communication to Social.

EDIT 2.0: Obviously, these guys would have a (very) small military, just for kicks, and maybe a blossoming belief system. I want some way to worship the Weather God.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 05:33:52 pm by webadict »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2008, 06:29:53 am »

Entities only get 10 points, right? (how do they get them anyway?)
Spoiler:  Entity: Xenocon (click to show/hide)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2008, 06:58:07 am »

I'm just waiting on Iituem before going into the technicals of Endren. I'm still wondering what sphere would fit best with both Endren and the game, and how that sphere will affect the species depending on how I spend my points.
Fire of Algir Mountain - A quest that doesn't involve getting a crown.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2008, 07:48:56 am »

Nice, I was planning to get into trade eventually...

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2008, 08:42:04 am »

I think I'll give this a miss.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2008, 09:33:47 am »

Spoiler: Bhuur (click to show/hide)

Edit: I exchanged population reaction and stealth - cavernous environments are not completely safe, but very hard to navigate.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 10:53:56 am by Gantolandon »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2008, 03:39:00 pm »

I have edited, the Diety(s) better?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2008, 05:16:40 pm »

I have edited, the Diety(s) better?
Yeah it's fine, from what I can tell. I think it was just misleading to have 80 points in the Example.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2008, 07:34:43 pm »

The Worked Example

Turn One

In turn one, the Longtongues have begun evolving on a central forest hex.  They start off with five units of population and the given stats.  The surrounding hexes have certain values of land capable of supporting life; these are displayed as grey circles.  The four units of population on the central hex appear as green dots replacing the grey dots.  In addition, because of the 25 points in Food traits the Longtongues possess, their maximum Land in all green hexes is increased by five points (represented by the hollowed green circles).

At this point the Longtongues are not generating any sphere points except for population growth, so this is not represented on the map yet.

In addition an entity, Bahamut the Demon of Fire (stats below) has awoken from the base of the mountain.  He exists as an avatar with 10 beginner points, but no following and influence.  Both the Longtongue species and Bahamut get up to three actions in a turn.

In Turn One, the Longtongues attempt to settle the three Plains hexes to the north of them and the forest to the west (one action), each attempt costing one unit of Population and increasing the overall difficulty class (DC) of the colonisation roll by 1.  They make an effort to try and improve their nests through the use of branches to reinforce rudimentary shelters (one action) and finally send a scout to investigate any useful information in the mountains to the south (one action).  In addition, stories have begun to originate about why the stars exist.  Because the Longtongues have a population of 5, they can afford 1EP this turn.  They put it into a new skill, Belief (T1 Religion Generation).

Bahamut takes only one action this turn.  He burns down some nests in a destructive swath of fire, attempting to inspire the fear of divinity into these poor schmucks and give them the first inklings of religion, so they can get around to worshipping him.

Longtongues
Colonisation Attempts:  d20 + Action = Result v DC x, Terrain offers no resistance.
Plains 1: 12 + 5 = 17 v DC 14, Success
Plains 2: 16 + 5 = 21 v DC 14, Success
Plains 3: 10 + 5 = 15 v DC 14, Success
Forest: 8 + 5 = 13 v DC 14, Failure
Three new colonies in the plains are established, the forest colony fails and the settlers are lost.

Nesting Improvements:  d20 + Reaction = Result v DC x
11 + 5 = 16 v DC 10, Success
2 points in new skill, Thatching (T1 Population Armour)

Scouting Check:  d20 + Perception = Result v DC x
2 + 5 = 7 v DC ?, Failure
The scout was eaten by giant birds in the mountains.  Nothing more could be gleaned.

Bahamut
Inspire Fear & Devotion:  d20 + Action vs d20 + Reaction, d20 + Power vs d20 + Armour
16 + 10  v  4 + 0 , 12 + 10  v  9 + 0 = Success, Strength 13  (Bahamut's powers are doubled from being invested in his avatar)
Although the physical damage of the attack was limited and Bahamut made no serious effort to destroy the Longtongues, they were little prepared for this sort of psychological attack.  A number of them have begun laying offerings to their powerful new neighbour in the hopes that he might stop.
+3 to Belief, for the Longtongues (T1 Religion Generation).

Spoiler: Turn One Stats (click to show/hide)

Turn Two

This turn, the Longtongues have a total of six population (three in colonies and an addition two in their home hex from Live Birth), so they spend their 1 EP this turn on improving Belief further in an attempt to forestall this demon's attacks.  This is enough to generate one ankh of religion per population.  Another pair of colonial expeditions set out from the home hex to colonise the eastern forest and southern mountain.  Notice how the Longtongue Food advantage has extended available land for them in the newly colonised Plains. 

Bahamut continues rampaging.  Pleasing as these offerings are, he is still not content with the devotion being offered.

Longtongues
Colonisation Attempts:  d20 + Action = Result v DC x, Terrain offers no resistance.
Mountains: 14 + 5 = 19 v DC 17, Success
Forest: 20 + 5 = 15 v DC 12, Crit Success
The mountains and forests are both colonised, the forest colony succeeding so well that their population doubles in settling.

Bahamut
Inspire Fear & Devotion:  d20 + Action vs d20 + Reaction, d20 + Power vs d20 + Armour
5 + 10  v  9 + 0 , 9 + 10  v  13 + 0 = Success, Strength 6
Longtongues are getting used to Bahamut's ravages, insomuch as one can get used to such.  Small cults have begun appearing amongst the Longtongues, ascribing to Bahamut dominion over all flame.  Bahamut leaves these cults alone and word spreads.
Six ankhs in the central hexes become devoted to worship of Bahamut.

Turn Three

The Longtongues now have a population of 15 and are producing 15 ankhs' worth of religion, giving them a total of 6EP this turn to spend.  Things are looking up!  The first thing they -do- spend it on is 5EP into a new skill, Recruitment (T1, Military Generation), allowing them to field a real army.  They delay any further expansion and instead set about using their new army to attack and destroy this lunatic demon that has been ravaging them.

Bahamut finds himself with suddenly an additional 6 Influence from his efforts.  Unaware of the Longtongue intent to attack him, he puts 3 more Influence into Religious Action and 3 more into Religious Power, then pushes to try and convert the rest of the people to his faith.

Longtongues
Military Destruction of Bahamut: 
(A lot more complicated math, the essence of which is that Bahamut had no military skill.)
Three contingents from the central forests destroy the fire demon plaguing their kind.

Bahamut
7 + 13  v  5 + 0 , 11 + 13  v  16 + 0 = Success, Strength 8
Before Bahamut's untimely destruction, he makes a powerful impression upon the remaining populace.
Eight more ankhs in the central hexes become devoted to worship of Bahamut.

By turn four, Bahamut himself has been slain, yet his name is echoed throughout the forests.  With 14 ankhs of the population worshipping him and as such still enough influence upon the world, it is only a matter of time until the local dark cults have enough power to try and resurrect him from the grave...

----

Sorry if this is a bit incoherent.  University work is pressing and it's 1:30am here.  -.-  I still have kinks to iron out with regard to display etc.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2008, 09:27:10 pm »

One question: What determines the tiers? Seeing as these things are very loose and brad, I would like to know some basics before I make something with five points spread over five advancing tiers. Unless these tiers are more and more specific. Then, for example, I could have two physical traits(Lets say, legs and arms), which on the most basic level would do the same thing. Locomotion. Then the tier two would have more specific things, like arms using graspers, or legs for extra speed. Or combat. Whatever.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2008, 10:53:59 pm »

So... how does this worked example help us? I'm still kinda confused.

Shikogan

• Bay Watcher
  • Comically insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2008, 11:52:45 pm »

Race name:Jottarian
Description
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EP
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Just let me know if i've done anything wrong, im pretty sure i've got it all right and within the EP limit.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 01:00:23 am by Shikogan »
Arguing on the internet is like running in the special Olympics; even if you win you're still retarded.

omagaalpha

• Bay Watcher
  • positve infinite
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2008, 06:49:01 am »

It look likes we now have 4 species sign up :) Since Iituem said max is 6that mean all 2 species slots togo of course that assume he not playing a species too.

Quote from: Jetsquirrel
Announce that i saw the whole creation of hte universe! and hold the monolith again
|The monolith is alive! And seemingly annoyed by your hugs. Or maybe static electricity of some kind that for some reason didn’t hit you last time.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2008, 07:25:57 am »

Shikogan's Jottarians speak better than my Xenoprosses... For now...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 40