Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 40

Author Topic: Evolution Lite - A Supplementary Game  (Read 51943 times)

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution Lite - A Supplementary Game
« Reply #105 on: October 19, 2008, 03:34:53 am »

Ok, I'll give it a go. Tell me if I get anything wrong.

Spoiler: Golems (click to show/hide)

If we are allowed to choose were we start, I'd like to start in E-19. If for some reason I can't/shouldn't start there (already too many races there or something) then I would like to start in V-26.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 04:01:11 am by Poltifar »
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 19, 2008, 04:19:14 am »

nice. beings made of magic... unknown power.. my serani will like them i think.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 19, 2008, 07:56:27 am »

The most excellent slaves I've seen yet... Too bad I can't talk to them yet.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 19, 2008, 08:00:57 am »

Another question: what are the differences between Population and Social spheres?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 19, 2008, 09:22:29 am »

The Population sphere determines the movement, growth and protection of the population; actions like colonisation, resisting storms and natural disasters, and breeding.  The Social sphere determines cultural and political interactions; actions like unifying factions through negotiation and diplomacy, resisting reguiling influences and retaining social cohesion, and sowing the seeds of dissent amongst enemies.

In the Population sphere, the 'Generation' trait determines how quickly your population grows.  In the Social sphere, the 'Generation' trait determines the amount of political activity ongoing in your species (and the amount of politicians available at your disposal).

Entities are up, but slots for Entities remain open.  Species applications are now closed (sorry, Duke, preference to new players).  Map updates on the way.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 19, 2008, 09:51:01 am »

Urist eh? This should prove very interesting indeed.
Fire of Algir Mountain - A quest that doesn't involve getting a crown.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 19, 2008, 10:48:18 am »

TURN ONE

"Urisltibp Nottutorp!" exclaimed Jfthrlm, desperately mashing buttons on the console with his tentacles.  Lights were flashing all across the console, alarms were blaring and the holoscreen had started periodically displaying adverts for Glorbnox's Premium Roast Fnorglax.  The virus had seeded its way through the ship's entire network and started taking down critical systems - corporate viral advertising had finally taken things too far.

The Glorbnox Corporation was in dire straits these days, following three years of progressively worse pan-galactic upheavals and revelations regarding their whole host of questionable business practices.  The extinction of the wild Fnorglax hadn't helped matters either, since many connosieurs insisted that synthetic Fnorglax couldn't hold an ion beam to the real thing.  As many such desperate businesses do, it had turned to more and more aggressive marketing campaigns to try and beat back the wolves.  The Ad Bomb had been a brilliant invention of a twisted mind in the Sales Division of Glorbnox, successfully infecting the entire hypernet and burrowing its way into countless nodes.  It was only weeks later that the virus had begun to take its toll upon the systems infected.  In the last three sectoids, two thousand, six hundred and forty-three ships, three navies and one galactic empire had been brought to their knees by the viral advertising and the entire Glorbnax Corporation had come under (quite literal) fire for their misdeeds.  In less than a week, they woud have been wiped from the face of the Galaxy and more than ten thousand years would pass before galactic civilisation rebuilt itself.

Not that this was any consolation to Jfthrlm as his ship careened through the atmosphere of some no-name backspace blue planet, searing the sky in fabulously destructive re-entry.  At least he had valid life insurance.

The skies burned with the fury of the gods and six strange artefacts struck the ground across the great island.  They hummed and glowed, powered by forces unknown and holding a strange fascination to the creatures in whose nests they had landed.  Unseen and unknown, the creatures began to change, strange but beneficial changes spreading through each new generation far faster than primitive natural selection could conceive.

Global Scenario - Holy Stones

Six strange, glowing artefacts have landed upon the island.  Each one increases the EP available to the species that holds it by 3/turn.  Additionally, species may not change or gain purely biological traits (psychological, behavioural or technological traits are fine) unless they possess one of these stones.  The stones are represented on the map as glowing stones in the home hexes of each species.

At this stage nobody (except the Jottarians, who underspent their EP) has EP to spend, so just worry about the actions you want to take.  Entities and Species alike may take a maximum of three actions (or three types of action) in a turn.  If you are uncertain about what traits you are using or any aspect of the rule, just state what you wish to achieve and I will find a way to make it happen.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 19, 2008, 11:36:13 am »

The time of the awakening has come!

The phrase sounded throughout the caves of the Golems, echoed by many, inspiring all present and giving them new hope. For the first time in a long while, the Golems were active again. After long centuries of barely any activity, they had awoken from there small stone homes in the mountains to discover the outer world.

The reason for that sudden change was the stone. The incredible stone that had fallen from the heavens and that shined with obvious power and purpose. The Golems had taken that stone as a sign, a sign of the time to go out and discover, expand, prosper... It was as if the stone itself made them want to change. To evolve.

Thus, the Golems start working on their future. They send 3 settler groups, one to the north, one to the south, and one to the south-east (one to E-17, one to E-21, and one to F-20). They also work on improving the architecture of their mountain homes to make them sturdier. Finally, they dig deeper mines hoping to find rarer and more useful ores and materials. (what sphere would that last action fit in?)

(OOC: Wow, I didn't expect ALL of us to start on the same island... I guess it'll just make things more interesting)
<@Akroma> eh

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 19, 2008, 11:44:58 am »

I'd also like to precise that the Golems are a peaceful race. Golems only fight to defend themselves or anything they consider "their's".
<@Akroma> eh

Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 19, 2008, 11:52:59 am »

As of yet the Serani are young and untainted, though that will not be so for long. It is important to help them now while there is little in the way. Endren waited no longer, he stepped quietly into the village and made his way to the central fire. Those he passed could not help but feel a certain supernatural calmness in the air. Who is this stranger, why does he walk upon our land so boldly as if he were one of us? The question was there but an answer seemed unlikely.

Endren sat down by the fire and waited, he knew the Serani would take their time, although time they did not have. The curiosity was building though, a few Serani tried to question this unknown stranger and were thoroughly surprised when he replied in their own language. "I am just a weary traveller here to share my wisdom with your people. If you listen then I shall speak."

A few more Serani had joined the group now and more were watching from a distance. They were certainly listening, and so he spoke. "Serani people, you must remember to care for one another, you must not give in to hate. You must live in peace with your lands and your neighbours, you must care for them when they are harmed and you must protect them when they are threatened. Do not feel spite against those who harm you, know instead that you are higher than that. If you are afraid then I will come and bring you courage. War is not a path you can take. If there is no way to avoid bloodshed, let it be your own over your enemies, know that they are guilty of these crimes while you are innocent."

"I warn you further, do not always trust that which you do not know, there are great things in this world that mean you harm. They will lie to you and they will corrupt your mind, do not let them do so. Always be wary, stand together and you will be held together. There will be times when you will be turned against each other, remember that you are all brothers and sisters, do not spill your own blood for the sake of me or any other."

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 11:59:53 am by Dark »
Fire of Algir Mountain - A quest that doesn't involve getting a crown.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 19, 2008, 12:54:49 pm »

Far above the clouds, It slept. Formless, It drifted through It's slumber, silent and still. What was It? Where had It come from? This questions meant nothing to It, and the massive consciousness slowly swept them aside and buried them as the Eon's passed.

At It's lowest perception, It could hear a hum-like buzzing, but It paid it no heed. The buzzing had been there for as long as It could recall. It regarded the things that made the sound, slimy, disgusting organics that skittered over the ground or darted beneath the waves, with open contempt. They could understand, would understand, nothing. They were irrelevant.

[Clear skies. Want clear skies.]

It stirred, thrashing in It's slumber. Shock radiated over It's entire self.

[Calm. Calm. No dark. No wetstuff. No that which moves but is not there.]

It came awake. The voice had done this, brought It from It's slumber. It looked upon the world, and drew a great breath, the winds roaring in reply. Much had changed. Far below, one race had begun thinking, trading ideas, and, most importantly, one had called out to It. Power It had not known before, radiated over It's self. It understood.

Madric felt the power, and was pleased.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 19, 2008, 12:58:32 pm »

The Serani were intrigued by the stranger's words. But soon they would have even more to think about. Joulan and Jouli, together they stood on the hill looking down at the Serani village, and the influence that Endren had upon them. Together they made their way into the village, they bowed to Endren and across from him, the fire between them. The Serani gathered around, waiting for something to come from the pair. Joulan, his eyes upon Endren, finally replied to the question that had arrived. What were they doing here?

"I to am a wanderer, I traverse the land looking for those of pure heart, and of pure mind. Those who see danger and do not run, but likewise do not jump to attack. Those who understand the power of those around them, but do not follow their every whim in the hope of recognition."

"I and my Sister, have been searching, and we have found those who are of pure mind, and of pure heart. We have found those who do not run, or hasten to fight. And we have found those who recognise power but do not follow it mindlessly. But we have never found all of them together. Not until now."

"It would be wise to follow our friends advice,” Jouli continued, gesturing towards Endren. “But remember, that while he advises you against strangers and those of harmful intent, he also puts himself into that category.”

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 01:25:32 pm by Kashyyk »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 19, 2008, 01:26:19 pm »

Good point.  Avatars can move at a rate of 2 hexes + Range bonus x2 for their Primary Sphere, per turn.  They count as a single unit for combat/action purposes.  They must be present at or pass through each hex in which the entity takes an action for their 'avatar bonus' to apply.  Formless entities can effectively act anywhere on the map, but only through influenced units.

For the sake of convenience, most avatars have manifested/arrived in the home hex of a suitable species.

Good posts so far!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 04:12:12 pm by Iituem »

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 19, 2008, 01:32:32 pm »

So my Golems are going to be led by a strange dwarf named Urist???

Sweet! :P
<@Akroma> eh

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 19, 2008, 01:49:48 pm »

2 gods... getting some points in religion: belief was a good idea i think.
(well, 3 gods. but it is like they were 2)
later i'll write this turn, it seem it will be interesting.

also... i am near xenopross! it seems dangerous.

oh, dark. don't worry baout telling what my people did. i think you played them very well, exactly what i think serani should be.

also, when i'll have enough EP i'll use some of them in religion: religion. and i already started building it.

writing the turn now
Spoiler: seranipedia (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: actions (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 04:11:55 pm by andrea »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 40