Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 40

Author Topic: Evolution Lite - A Supplementary Game  (Read 51796 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Evolution Lite - A Supplementary Game
« on: October 14, 2008, 10:44:55 am »

Evolution Lite

A hopefully more streamlined version of the ongoing game Evolution.  This is not intended to replace the ongoing game but to go on alongside it as a way of testing out a different ruleset.  As with the original game, rules may change or be added as the game progresses (depending on whatever might be required).  The advantage of Evolution Lite is speed at the price of flexibility.

The chief difference between the two games is the division of playable forces into Species and Entities.  The Species players (of which there may be no more than six) control the evolutionary destiny of their chosen species.  They play the conventional game, accruing Evolution Points and spending the EP on increasing their species traits.  They also settle/colonise more of the map, engage in wars and gamble for additional EP by attempting specific actions.  Entity players (of which there may be an unlimited number) play powerful forces within the framework the Species players provide, operating within spheres of influence such as military, religious or economic means.  They can spur on species growth, stimulate war or lead armies on their own grounds and invest power in avatars to more directly steer the course of events.

Spoiler: The Species Game (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Entity Game (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 11:16:03 am by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution Lite - A Supplementary Game
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 10:45:21 am »

The Map

The game takes place over a series of islands loosely grouped together and arbitrarily named 'Rhodia'.  The native species will almost certainly develop a new name for it.  Play begins with six artefacts appearing on the board, supercharging evolutionary processes and uplifting six species, be they in land or sea.

Map hexes are divided into three basic categories to begin with; Green Hexes, Blue Hexes and Grey Hexes.  Green hexes (forest, plains & marshland) are full of plantlife and generally quite verdant, habitable areas.  Blue hexes (ocean, coast & lake) are generally full of water and marine flora and fauna.  Grey hexes (desert, tundra & mountain) are generally colonised by hardy, marginal life but often provide situational advantages to species living there.  Generally, Food/Land traits will only provide advantages to one hex type.  In regions where there are overlaps between hex types (e.g. rivers or verdant patches in mountains) whichever set of traits grants the higher advantage comes into play.  Upon settling a hex, any unique features are revealed, but scouting a hex beforehand with sphere-based scouts will reveal any advantages or disadvantages the hex might provide.  Hexes are approximately twenty-five miles from one face to another.  Ocean hexes may not be settled by land-based creatures (at least, not without serious evolutionary or technological effort) but coastal, lake or island hexes can be settled using fish as a food source.  Marine creatures face similar difficulties settling non-aquatic hexes and can settle coastal and lake squares similarly.

It is possible for new Hex types to emerge during the game, perhaps significantly changing the board.  You have been warned.

Base Food Values per Hex

Green Hexes

Marshland: 4 Food
Plains: 5 food
Forest: 6 Food

Grey Hexes

Tundra: 1 Food
Desert: 2 Food
Mountains: 3 Food

Blue Hexes

Ocean: 4 Food
Coast/Lake: 6 Food
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 10:30:52 am by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 10:45:40 am »

- EP 55/55

Spoiler: Xenopross - Webadict (click to show/hide)
- EP 55/55

Spoiler: Bhuur - Gantolandon (click to show/hide)
- EP 54/54

Spoiler: Jottarian - Shikogan (click to show/hide)
- EP 54/54

Spoiler: Serani - Andrea (click to show/hide)
- EP 55/55

Spoiler: Golem - Poltifar (click to show/hide)
- EP 54/54
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 06:56:15 pm by Iituem »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 10:46:15 am »

Artefacts

Evolution Stones - Advance and stabilise physical mutations in races.  +3 EP per race for each stone possessed.

The Spirit Cloaks - Three powerful artefacts created by the gods Endren, Joulan and Jouli to act as vessels for the spirits of the Serani dead.  The Cloak of Harmony (currently held by Endren) grants +1 to the Religious Power & Action of an entity.  The Cloak of Valour (held by Joulan & Jouli) grants +1 to the Religious Power of an entity.  The Cloak of Virtue (held by Joulan & Jouli) grants +1 to the Religious Action of an entity.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 07:00:30 pm by Iituem »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 10:52:01 am »

Remember the cardinal rule of Evolution: Anything is possible!  If you can think of it as an action or a trait, go for it and I'll figure out a way to make it fit within the framework of the rules.  Just be aware that I also set the difficulty by which tasks can be accomplished, as well as the costs of accomplishing them.

I will be accepting applications for up to six Species players and an essentially unlimited number of Entity players.  Species will start with 50EP to play with.  Entities will start with 10 free Influence for as long as they stay in avatar form - as soon as they dissolve into non-avatar entitites, they will become wholly dependent on Influence gathered from sphere units controlled on the map.  Think of the first few turns of any Entity as being the stage of ascension to divinity - that first 10 influence is power held by your first avatar directly.  As soon as you ascend, it's gone forever.  (Of course, if you invest no further power in your avatar and it is destroyed whilst you have some influence still on the map, no loss for you.)

Turns will last approximately 100 years, which will come with an explanation as to why certain biological advancements can happen so fast.  Stay tuned.

Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 12:44:04 pm »

Hell, I'll give this a try, sign me up as a deity. Since the rules appear to be both extensive and overwhelming, you're going to have to guide me through this, if we can get enough players to begin.
Fire of Algir Mountain - A quest that doesn't involve getting a crown.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 12:47:56 pm »

Grand!  Post a description of your deity's general appearance/preferred manifestations and a profile of its character and M.O. please.  As an extra note:  I tend to give bonuses to checks and occasionally EP for good roleplay and storytelling.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 01:02:09 pm »

I'd play as a species this time.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 01:08:17 pm »

I'll play. Gwahaha!

Although I will need to see more examples to fully understand it. This is a bit more complex that the other evolution game.

Although I love the map.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 01:24:07 pm »

Massive Edit:

Endren the Kind
Spoiler: Deity (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 08:43:42 am by Dark »
Fire of Algir Mountain - A quest that doesn't involve getting a crown.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 01:42:18 pm »

I feel like doing a diety as well, so I have a reason to learn how to make a species in a later game. I think I will have the Twin-Gods Joulan and Jouli:

Spoiler:  Joulan & Jouli (click to show/hide)

I think I have done it right. Please tell me if I haven't
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 03:38:33 pm by Kashyyk »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 02:23:05 pm »

The basic layout for Jouli/Joulan is right, but at the start of the game you only have 10 Influence to distribute amongst your traits.  I'll write up a worked example this evening to demonstrate my point and how Species and Entity games will work.

Rolls are generally done with d20s, btw, so having one point in any trait potentially increases success chances by 5%.

[Also, M.O. means Modus Operandi, or motive.  Generally, the motivations of the entity, which you described quite well, Dark.  Thanks!]

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 02:50:30 pm »

My question about the species: it seems that some traits (like Long Tongue) are not a part of any sphere (instead they are related with food). Are there any specific rules about creating traits like that?

Shikogan

• Bay Watcher
  • Comically insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2008, 04:31:41 pm »

ill give this one a shot too, count me in

Ill add a race here later
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 02:13:43 am by Shikogan »
Arguing on the internet is like running in the special Olympics; even if you win you're still retarded.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2008, 04:45:16 pm »

I'll join as an "entity" this time.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 40