Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More possibly stupid questions about graphics tilesets  (Read 753 times)

Terry von Feledae

• Bay Watcher
  • It's Mechadwarf!
    • View Profile
More possibly stupid questions about graphics tilesets
« on: October 14, 2008, 03:46:34 am »

I've thought of making a personal graphics tileset, but don't like being very limited by the(at times somewhat odd) re-useage of certain symbols. For instance, I'd like to make custom graphics for gems, but I can't do that without giving a whole lot of other things the same graphic. So, how would I make it so that those things use different graphics rather than the one assigned in the default tileset? It's possible with creatures, so it should theoretically be possible with objects as well, right?

In fact, I'd go a step further and give different stones that usually have the same graphic in different colours different graphics as well. Would it be possible to do the same with background objects/graphics too?

Actually, I wouldn't be quite satisfied at that point either. You know how on smoothed and constructed walls, the graphic of the wall depends on its position/relation to other smoothed walls? Well, I would like to do the same with rough walls and other constructions like tables, chairs and cabinets as well if possible.

In fact, there's another thing--
...Okay okay I'll stop this now.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
Re: More possibly stupid questions about graphics tilesets
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 10:54:37 am »

Yeah, that's all impossible.
<3

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
Re: More possibly stupid questions about graphics tilesets
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 11:01:37 am »

Actually, you can manually define the tiles every single object in the RAWs uses in order to get them to use the graphics you desire.

The orientation stuff is impossible though.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]