Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Good god! Finally! A nice cave to settle in!  (Read 3887 times)

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Good god! Finally! A nice cave to settle in!
« on: October 13, 2008, 07:35:37 pm »

O.K. my story is that for the last two days I've been trying to generate a world decent enough to settle in a nice savage large cave area. By decent I mean atleast a good amount of undead locals,flux,more flux, and especially no aquifer! Brooks, well I didn't try looking for one. I did find a few early ones, though all with aquifers, I managed to go by in those worlds before I flooded everything or got destroyed by a named skeletal giant or titan, before subcumbing to their undead fury or spiraling tantrums.

Anyway I finally found it! Though it's nothing so special.

Just a few pages of undead,(4.3), flux as lime stone & marble, a few dozen stolen treasures, no brook, a poor amount of lakes all at the edges,(more of a challenge!), entirely flat,(not that FPS have been a problem), and very close to two purple dark fortresses. Also at war with the current goblin civ so hopefully I can expect some early sieges or ambushs.

If I remember right the place is sinister or something.

Hopefully my dwarfs don't wander into this cave like the last two forts I had, they mostly went in their because they thought the remains the cats left needed to be put into the refuse pile.

Anyway for this place I've started with no anvil, fifty food, fifty booze, twenty five horse leather, two picks, two steel hammers, no axe, ten of each seed, forty logs, twenty onyxs, ten bauxite stones,(apart of my old embarking profile where I needed mechanisims for the water pumps), two plant fiber ropes, and two bronze crossbows, though they will be of little use as the local undead lack any organs, damn.

Hm... anyone thinking I should make a community/story thread about this? I'm also save scumming at the very begining, as I went through alot to get this place, and I'm not about to loose it to a skeletal giant with ESP! For some reason they always know where my dwarfs are, and what winds up happening is the local resisdent decides to leave his comfty cave, and come squash my dwarfs, it's only happened with skeletal giants though.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 10:11:41 pm by Creamcorn »
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Re: Good god! Finally! A nice cave to settle in!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 07:45:30 pm »

HOLY FUCKING AWESOME!

I was completly destroyed by a giant skeletal giant siege! Good thing I saved scummed, though I haven't save scummed every since I got tired of dying in adom when I was but tweleve or was I eleven? Eh, anyway I'm going to try again.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 07:46:45 pm »

Good luck, but WHY would you bring 2 warhammers and no axe?!

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 08:15:12 pm »

It's for more of a challenges, plus it's for protection I always carry protection with me,(tee hee).

Also have been trying to safely astablish a fort, but dammit! I keep loosing it to ESP skeletons!

First savescum attempt, I tried walls loosely around my wagon, failed, weren't built in time.

Second attempt, tried tight walls, almost worked, but than remembered dwarfs would build towards danger.

Third attempt, tried tight walls with more organization, I use this term loosely, failed.

Fourth attempt tried walls with everyone with masonry, and carpentry, almost worked, failed when I tried to keep curious dwarf out, drafted dwarf, set dwarf on square, but ignored orders, and stupidly tried to wrestle four skeletal giants.

Fifth attempt tried channels, dwarfs spooked of giants watching them, decided it best to abandon this idea.

More to come!

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 08:22:14 pm »

Highlights.

-Hammerer chasing giant, chasing cat, chasing rat
-Miner being attacked by herd of skeletal dear, fox, and three giants.
-Skeletal giant chilling in the murky water.
-message spammage.

More to come.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 09:17:56 pm »

Haha! Take that you giants! Only casualtie was a cat, well no cat tallow roast tonight, but we get to live.

Final tally.

Giants: 21 Me: 1

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 09:31:53 pm »

Solution that would have been good beforehand: Make a double layer wall. The outer layer would be designated as suspended, and thus dwarves won't construct them. Dwarves don't like to build things while on tiles designated for another building. If you had furniture, I would have suggested that.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 09:34:50 pm »

I'm sure you could have killed those giants. Somehow.

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 09:39:03 pm »

I once had a map with 5 of those critters.  Wiped out my my starting party of dwarves as well as my 7 axedwarf reclaim party. They had an insane amount of loot piles around their cave too.  Lots of rose gold crafts and some large gems.

Those things are MEAN when put in ambush mode.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 09:40:16 pm »

But where would we get three rubber bands, a tricycle, two old tires and a rhesus macaque at that time of day?
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2008, 09:41:44 pm »

Solution that would have been good beforehand: Make a double layer wall. The outer layer would be designated as suspended, and thus dwarves won't construct them. Dwarves don't like to build things while on tiles designated for another building. If you had furniture, I would have suggested that.

I tried that on my second attempt, and many others only problems were my dwarfs seemed to like being outside, and in danger.

Somehow? Somehow!? Well dwarf companion would have certainly helped, but I don't want to cheat.

I once had a map with 5 of those critters.  Wiped out my my starting party of dwarves as well as my 7 axedwarf reclaim party. They had an insane amount of loot piles around their cave too.  Lots of rose gold crafts and some large gems.

Those things are MEAN when put in ambush mode.

I agree with you, I agree with you fully.

By the way what do you guys think of some kind of thread for this fort? Would you guys be intrested in a fort where the dwarfs are isolated by a wall of hastily constructed bauxite, and wood plus a dead tree? Eh, I'm sure the dwarf caravan can take care of those giants as soon as they appear.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2008, 09:43:01 pm »

Haha! Take that you giants! Only casualtie was a cat, well no cat tallow roast tonight, but we get to live.

Seems to me, you could have shifted your barricade down and left, to incorporate more trees into the wall, building it faster.  Congratulations though.

Are you using the Everlasting Plane seed, or was this just generated that way, or did you use some parameters?  I want to test my mettle against a giant skeleton siege at embark.

Recruit Rush!!!
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2008, 09:47:45 pm »

I want to test my mettle against a giant skeleton siege at embark.

Seconded. I want to prove my manliness by spamming them with crossbow bolts and war dogs.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2008, 10:00:51 pm »

Well if you want to know I've been playing with world gen. I've been putting the cave paremeters at super high levels, and tweaked around with the evilness a bit, untill I finally got what I wanted.

If you guys really want I can upload my world,(world of caves) or give you this save, though the really only good places to settle is in evil areas. Sadly there is only one saveage forest, and if I remember right an evil moutain range, the rest is for elves, oh wait... THERE ARE NO ELVS IN WORLD OF CAVES!

Good times, now to hatch a scheme to kill those giants, stone fall traps or cage traps? Or both with recruit rush? By the way these guys heal super quick for being undead!

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2008, 10:09:56 pm »

Don't use stone fall traps. Use almost anything else against undead semimegabeasts, but don't use stone fall traps.
Pages: [1] 2