Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: LCS 3.12.1 Release  (Read 4081 times)

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
Re: LCS 3.12.1 Release
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2008, 05:16:00 pm »

Nobody really won the Cold War; the U.S.S.R. merely collapsed on its own, although you never know what influence the U.S. had on its collapse.

Cool beans on the 2007 start.  That would also give you more time to possibly influence the public in advance of the presidential election (although I've *never* been able to get public approval of the LCS to go above 45% (+/- 4) in the latest version).  I should try working towards getting the newspaper out there once I get 100% respect, 45% approval, I suppose...

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2008, 05:55:00 pm »

Off-topic:

The Cold War was a rivalry between two alliances, two styles of government, two economic philosophies, and two superpowers.

Of the alliances, the Warsaw Pact was officially dissolved. NATO is larger than ever and incorporates no less than nine former Warsaw Pact members.

Of the styles of government, there are more western-style Liberal Democracies today than ever before in history. Many former single-party states among the Eastern Bloc saw their governments collapse and be replaced by multiparty democracies modeled after western governments.

Of the economic philosophies, the USSR began liberalizing its domestic policies in the 80s, and following its collapse, the Russian Communist Party has been out of power for over a decade and struggles just past 10% in the polls. Many former eastern countries now embrace western-style free market economies. Even China, which is still controlled by the nominal Communist Party, is in truth governed by leaders that are ideologically agnostic or even capitalist, and pursue economic policy based on vast expansions of free markets in pursuit of rapid economic growth.

Of the superpowers, only one still remains. The USSR no longer exists as a political entity; several republics seceded, and following this the government was permanently dissolved by its remaining member republics. The United States is still very powerful and extremely stable, and to this day it pursues military interventions abroad outside the framework of the United Nations essentially unchecked by other world powers.

In truth, it depends upon definition. One can argue that this is a victory for the western strategy of "containment", where the Communism was not to be defeated but rather stopped from growing. It is also arguable whether the military and spending policies of Ronald Reagan's government forced the hand of the Soviet Union to reform and seek greater openness and economic growth, thus accelerating its collapse under internal dissent. But regardless, it is almost universally agreed that the primary reason the cold war ended was that the east simply ceased to have the power or will to "fight" it. There wasn't a military confrontation followed by military destruction of one side or a formal surrender or anything like that. As a result, it's not much of a "war" victory in the usual term. But if the Cold War can be counted as being won, the west certainly did, if only by being the last side standing.

-----

On-topic:

Mercs and CIA have never used the same siege calculations as the Police, and they are unmodified. You were either supremely unlucky (one in ten trillion) or the game has a bug where fighting off corp and CIA raids does not call them off, and they just reoccur the next day. Browsing the code, this seems to be the case. It will be fixed in the next release.

For the news to report on a CIA or Mercenary raid, they must know the battle happened. The game right now assumes that they *do not* find out that you were attacked. Truthfully, they probably would; a lot of gunfire is involved in either attack. But this would involve your safehouse cover being blown open. Everyone would know you're there. The police would immediately follow up with their own raid. Turning over the bodies of Mercenaries or CIA agents that attacked the LCS could be a PR coup for the LCS, and that can be added, but the game would have to also acknowledge that this form of attack would reveal to everyone where your safehouse is.

The LCS will never be liked by a higher proportion of people than generally advocate Liberal policies. As a result, if you seek higher LCS approval, you must first change the opinions of the populace on the political issues of the day.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2008, 05:57:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Little:
<STRONG>We won the cold war?</STRONG>

the short answer is "yes".
the long answer is that you were the last ones who Not_Lost the cold war. which is conversely how you win it. Also note that no prize is awarded for winning.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2008, 06:29:00 pm »

I got a crash after disturbing the Auto Plant.  After looting, destroying machines, and hoping to encounter a lone security guard or three that I could riddle full of holes, I wound up getting cornered by four police officers on the way out.  This didn't bode well for my team, and the leader was shot in the head and killed pretty much right away.

As the fight progressed, the police officer shot at one of my other crew, and the message appeared stating that the officer mistakenly shot the person who was already dead.  This caused a CTD.

[ May 17, 2008: Message edited by: JT ]

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2008, 07:38:00 pm »

Weird. I'll check it out.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2008, 07:53:00 pm »

Why is the CSS still attacking after I annhiliated their safehouse?
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2008, 08:29:00 pm »

Because they have more than one safehouse...  ;)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2008, 08:48:00 pm »

CSS should re-take it's safehouses.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Little

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2008, 10:20:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan S. Fox:
<STRONG>Because they have more than one safehouse...   ;)</STRONG>

GODDAMNIT! Really?

Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2008, 10:31:00 pm »

oh yess!

speaking of CSS safehouses, I don't think they ever get raided. I had a squad of 5 mass murderers in one (over 200 confirmed kills, maybe even 300. On a tangential note- CSS Bosses are wa-ay overpowered) for half a year.

oh, nearly forgot, conservatives seem to react poorly to illegal weapons even if they are carries with the right armor (and is displayed in green).

[ May 17, 2008: Message edited by: a1s ]

Little

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2008, 10:34:00 pm »

Found the second safehouse of theirs, and blew it to bits.

I agree with them being overpowered. They took out two of my beefed up Agents...

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2008, 10:36:00 pm »

Yes. Hitting the first one isn't wasted effort; it weakens them significantly. At the beginning of the game, the CCS is quite feeble. Over time, it grows stronger. Hitting their safehouses has two effects. One, it sets back their development: they act less often, are less successful with their strikes, carry less expensive weapons, etc., at least for a time. Two, they only have so many places to hide: eventually, they'll stop coming back. (Plus, their safehouses are quite strong for shaking off heat, and you get to keep what you take from them.  ;))

Little

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2008, 10:49:00 pm »

I know  :) I have been raided in the Desert Eagle Bar, though. I shot my way out.

So, will aging be implemented?

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2008, 11:10:00 pm »

CCS Safehouses aren't any more raid-proof than business front, or shouldn't be. If you have 200 kills spread evenly among 5 people, you don't do any community service, they're the only ones stationed in a CCS safehouse, and that's their only heat, then... with a calculator... you're about 21.8% of the amount of heat needed to be raided under the new system.

Ahem.

Okay.

Need some balance work on that.    :D

In the code, CCS Vigilante Bosses are called "CREATURE_CCS_ARCHCONSERVATIVE". They are meant to represent the equivalent of an Elite Liberal with 500+ juice, and are meant to be more than a match for most of your members. As such, they're knowingly programmed to be massively overpowered -- although in truth, your own people can become quite stronger.

They start with an M16 with extra 9 clips, with somewhere between 6 and 9 Rifle skill to use it with. Their Agility and Health are, on average, about 15 -- this is weaker than the equivalent Liberal, but still means they're going to act like a beast when it comes to refusing to drop when getting shot at, and it also means they're going to be a crack shot with one of the most deadly weapons in the game. Their Wisdom is likely over 20, making them essentially invulnerable to guitar/talking. Their Heart is always 1. To make matters worse, they're also wearing body armor that's significantly stronger than anything else in the game.

Think of those endless, nameless office workers you mow down regularly with your squad, and remember... that's how this guy sees Hippies.

He's certainly beatable, but he's like nothing else if you don't have a pretty elite squad.

On the plus side, if you kill him and don't blow his body armor apart, you can pick it off his corpse and use it.

Edit: Aging might go in when we work on making creatures classes. (For non-programmers: it might go in later.)

[ May 18, 2008: Message edited by: Jonathan S. Fox ]

[ May 18, 2008: Message edited by: Jonathan S. Fox ]

Little

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2008, 11:24:00 pm »

YAY!

This game is awesome, man. Are you going to do something like Future of the Crime Squad?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4