Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: LCS 3.12.1 Release  (Read 4080 times)

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
LCS 3.12.1 Release
« on: May 15, 2008, 04:28:00 pm »

LCS For Windows 3.12.1

Politics changes:
- Public interest now influences the course of elections, especially Presidential elections, as issues with high interest tend to be important issues for voters. Senators and Representatives take a generally broader swath of issues, so it's possible to see the President elected as a Liberal and see the Conservatives make major strides in Congress, just based on the combination of issues and public interest.
- Elections with popular vote now show down to a tenth of a percent.
- Presidential candidates are calculated in a more sophisticated fashion. If you handle yourself well, it's not impossible to get an Elite Liberal President within the first year.
- Presidential approval ratings are now calculated in a more sophisticated fashion. They should be closer now, for one thing; even a very unpopular President will likely bottom out in the mid twenties.
- Presidential elections will be closer as well. Some are quite nail-biting!
- Votes on ballot measures are calculated more simply. They don't tend to be 90-10 landslides as often now (unless you actually have 90-10 landslides in the pre-election polls).
- Polls once again show all issues and simply gray out the ones you don't have information on. You now get multiple pages when you get a screen of polls, and you can page through the results. Your feedback on public interest varies in precision depending on the skill of the person checking polls. The public interest level descriptions are now more clear.

Bug fixes:
- polpoint reported a bug making clothing with cloth. I haven't tested this, but it should be fixed.
- Kidnapped Conservatives no long are listed as being able to lead people in their profile before you turn them.
- Your initial Liberal Sleeper judge no longer begins able to lead 6 people.
- Brainwashed and seduced Liberals now correctly do not take up slots toward the recruitment cap for their leader. Seduced Liberals do take up slots based on how many people they can be romantically involved with.
- Disguise is now correctly used when it is the strongest ability to use.

Conservative Crime Squad changes:
- CCS safehouses that you "destroy" (attack and kill a lot of people) no longer become honorary crackhouses. You take over them and claim it as a safehouse of your own. Former CCS safehouses all have very high heat dispersion, but cannot be upgraded at the moment. I haven't had the opportunity to test this yet, as I'd already completely eradicated the CCS in my test game when I added this, so it's likely that this has some bugs. Let me know if you run into any issues with it.

Site mode changes:
- It's now harder to force sites into "closed down" status. You need to kill about twice as many people to do it.

Police siege changes:
- The police siege system is changed significantly. You no longer build up heat over time at a site. Instead, there is a 1 in 30 chance that if the total heat generated by everyone at a site is over the heat threshhold, a siege will be generated. This isn't comprehensively tested, but you should expect far fewer sieges, until you have very large criminal records, and even then they'll come about once a month. You should expect, however, that they will be harder to predict and avoid. Unless you are moving very very frequently, there's no guarantee that moving about will help you avoid the police. As before, the number of people at the site and the inherent heat dispersion/quality of the safehouse influences how much heat you'll need to have to trigger a raid.
- It's now harder to fight off sieges by killing attackers. You need to kill over 25 enemies to repel a siege by force, instead of just 10.

There will be more changes to sieges in the future -- I'm probably going to have SWAT teams throwing stun grenades and Soldiers throwing frag grenades at the start of fights. The goal here is to push back the stage where sieges come into play, so that you have plenty of room to play around while you build up your criminal record, but when you do trigger them, make them very dangerous. Right now they come in early, but with a bit of money you can take advantage of the new Black Market to load up on AKs and MP5s, then quietly and safely train everyone to be crack shots with them. Doing that will make the sieges more of a nuisance than a serious threat.

Edit: Note that the initial Liberal sleeper judge WILL take up a recruit slot for your founder -- permanently. It's not being a sleeper that makes them not take a slot, it's that they were brainwashed, and the initial sleeper judge isn't brainwashed. It's probably still worth it.

[ May 16, 2008: Message edited by: Jonathan S. Fox ]

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: LCS 3.12.1 Release
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 04:51:00 pm »

Looks good, do police sleeps still give warnings about raids?

EDIT: I just started up a character with a a judge as a friend and he counts as a  follower, is this expected?

[ May 15, 2008: Message edited by: BishopX ]

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 05:08:00 pm »

I haven't tested it to make sure, but I don't think anything I did would affect police sleepers.

Hmm... wouldn't it be interesting if police sleepers could crash the investigation? Perhaps have an effect of increasing the effective quality of all of your safehouses across the board...

Edit: Maybe make a new police detective type that can do this.

Also, yes, I decided to make the initial Judge count as a follower. He is a fully functional free Judge sleeper, influencing public opinion on lots of issues and everything, but the cost is that he consumes one of the founder's slots. This is because he's not brainwashed, he's just a buddy.

[ May 15, 2008: Message edited by: Jonathan S. Fox ]

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 06:44:00 pm »

Maybe multiple(3/4?) canidates eventually?

And infitratable organizations?

Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 06:51:00 pm »

In the long term, I'd like to see candidates announced early in the year, campaign for months, allow you to interfere with this process, have primaries in which Conservatives and Liberals coalesce around two major candidates, then have them fight it out, again letting you interfere, and finally hold the vote. That's a ways off though, as there are a lot of other things to work on.

Little

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 07:15:00 pm »

Other things like...?

I really wanna know  :)

Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 09:03:00 pm »

Molotov cocktails, for one...

Little

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 09:20:00 pm »

:D

YAY!

But how will that work? Do oyu mean like, I can throw it at enemies on other squares?

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 09:47:00 pm »

It will probably either be a weapon you equip and attack with normally, or one that sits in your inventory and is used in place of the equipped weapons when needed (in car chases or fighting tanks). The latter option doesn't allow torching buildings though, which is a shame...

Little

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 10:12:00 pm »

Burning down buildings=   :)

Will we eventually be able to change politics directly with a bullet?

[ May 15, 2008: Message edited by: Little ]

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 02:22:00 am »

I started the game with the sleeper judge.  He was considered a follower.  Is this intended?

[edit]Ah, just saw that above.  It was buried.  You should list that in the first post. ;-)

[ May 16, 2008: Message edited by: JT ]

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 02:52:00 am »

I only have three words upon returning to internet land and discovering a full version of 3.12 up and playing it.

Oh. My. God.

Jon, you've really outdone yourself. Again. This is everything the game has been needing for a long time and then some. I love it. Every bit of it.

Spectacular work once again, sir. I was actually going to sleep tonight until I found this, thanks.

Keep it up.

This is not a signature.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 04:38:00 am »

Little-- Eventually I'd like to have politicians make visits to the city, pre-announced by newspaper articles, complete with a temporary site that you can visit. While there you can shoot up their rally, or just try to get close and attack the politician directly. Such election strong-arming would probably not go over well with the public, but it could be effective.

JT-- Thanks, I've added mention of that to the top post. I know it's weird, but it's not that -sleepers- aren't followers, it's that people who are brainwashed don't take up follower slots, and normally every other sleeper is brainwashed. It fits though -- every other option is a short-term boost to your initial position, and the judge is a long term one. It's offset by having a long-term cost in reducing your max recruits by one.

Steeblix-- Thank you! I'm glad you like it. It's very gratifying that people enjoy the work I put into the game. It is sometimes awkward making changes because I can never be sure that any given change will really make the game better, and I'm always nervous that anything I do might make it worse for everyone else for the sake of cutting closer to a weird vision I have or something like that. So it's nice to know that others like the direction things are going.

Spelguru

• Bay Watcher
  • Rabid Swedish Person
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 06:54:00 am »

Yeah, LCS is pretty much uber now, especially now that I've begun learning more and more things.

All is not sunshine, puppies and rainbows however. For example: releasing secret files via the press gives an ridicously imbalanced amount of juice to all liberals. This wrecks havoc on the recruitment cap when several people first gain more cap through juice, and then when their recruits get the juice too, their leadership sky rockets.

One really good month I think my cap raised from 50 (in total from all my guys) to 70.

Also, this somehow enabled one of my sleepers to gain juice, and when my founder got shot up he was declared the new founder, meaning I now have an immortal untouchable founder :P

Want the save?

Got Ninja?
Orkz Orkz Orkz Orkz, Orkz Orkz Orkz Orkz... WAAAAAGH!
NHP (Non human pact. Copy and paste if you are going to destroy all human-like creatures in spore.)

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 11:42:00 am »

I agree with spell guru, giving files to the press nets about 50 juice each, it should be toned down to ten to twenty. Enough to make you're dregs of society respectable, but not enough to make eveyone else crazy.

Also, for some reason standing trial gives a massive boost to leadership...My founder just one his third court case and got about 2 points of leadership then and there.

EDIT: Another bug, teaching trains the hostages in that location as well.

[ May 16, 2008: Message edited by: BishopX ]

Pages: [1] 2 3 4