Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Obsidian Skyscrapers 101...  (Read 1774 times)

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Obsidian Skyscrapers 101...
« on: October 13, 2008, 04:31:38 pm »

So I'm actually thinking of building an obsidian hive-city akin to Necromunda for the glory of the Imperium. With a series of pumps to pump magma and water respectively into an increasingly large tower, I have a question regarding...

Suppose we have a sand floor. What happens when I pour magma, get obsidian from water, then mine to there? Is the floor still sand, or is it now obsidian? Can I then smooth it out? Will I then be capable of building a floor construction on top of that?

What happens when I bury an area that was aboveground under obsidian? Does it become underground?

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: Obsidian Skyscrapers 101...
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 04:52:58 pm »

As to the first part: I know that if you make obsidian and then mine there, you will get an obsidian floor.  This floor acts like all other dug-out floors.  You can smooth it, engrave it, and then put constructions over it followed by an obsidian-block road if you do so please.

Not sure about the inside/outside question though.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 04:58:23 pm »

Once an area is aboveground, nothing short of an act of god(read: memory editing) can make it underground.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 05:46:48 pm »

Excellent. This means I can have smoothed/engraved tiles with floors built on top of them, without the penalty of cave adaptation. Later constructions once my core design is up will allow me to build the obsidian mold easily.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 06:45:06 pm »

Do it one floor at a time if you want to make sure it works. I've tried dropping magma into the ocean before, and ran into some problems...

That said, remember you can't plant on muddied artifical obsidian. It's some wierd thing.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 07:03:53 pm »

I have the system set up to work just fine. I have 3 screw pumps, one magma one for each level and a water one for the top. All are copper. The magma ones are manually operated (due to lack of bauxite mechanisms), and the water one is hydropowered. Since a pump raises magma to its level, this means we could confidently fill up one floor before moving to the next one. We obsidian that floor, then go to the next.

Alopix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 12:53:49 pm »

Oh. I see. You're doing a sort of jello-mold thing, and then you're going to mine it out. So then, you wall off an area, fill it with lava, dump water into it until it's all obsidian, get on top of that, wall the top off, fill with lava, dump water, rinse, repeat? Are you going to mine it out as you go or set up scaffolding along the side?

How much lava and water do you need? Is it 1-1? I've never managed to find a fort with both yet. I think I might try this when I do.
Nothing like a romantic dinner of raw mushrooms in the glow of pure hate and destruction

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 01:22:35 pm »

I am going to mine out the interior first, but not the staircases, that we don't run the risk of accidentally flooding the interior. The scaffold has some extensions along the side to support stairs as well (to make removing stuff from the interior easier, as well as to create a protected tunnel into the obsidian block.) I pull one switch to activate the magma pump, and another for the hydropump. When level one is done, I dismantle the lower scaffold, dig out the interior, and build the upwards scaffold. I figure by using 2n screwpumps, I can repeat this construction method for a good bit, even using the mined out obsidian to help support increasingly larger scaffolds.

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 02:06:24 pm »

As to the first part: I know that if you make obsidian and then mine there, you will get an obsidian floor.  This floor acts like all other dug-out floors.  You can smooth it, engrave it, and then put constructions over it followed by an obsidian-block road if you do so please.

Not sure about the inside/outside question though.

damn, i wanted to make a full steel constructed obsidian works (a real factory with chimneys for the steam and all ^^) :/ but with this it seems steel floors would be destroyed :(
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 02:20:38 pm »

Constructions such as floors and walls won't be destroyed, even if not magma-proof. Doors will, but that's another story.

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 02:22:03 pm »

Constructions such as floors and walls won't be destroyed, even if not magma-proof. Doors will, but that's another story.

we are talking of making obsidian on a steel floor tile, this will be destructed and a rough obsidian floor if i understand this right
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 05:56:09 pm »

we are talking of making obsidian on a steel floor tile, this will be destructed and a rough obsidian floor if i understand this right

I dunno what to say. I don't think I'm really going to make an obsidian factory per se so much as use molds as a way to build increasingly complicated structures of high-quality. An advantage to this system is the obsidian mined out from rooms can then be used to help build subsequent layers of the scaffold. Each story essentially involves another screw pump and another wall to store fluid in.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 05:59:40 pm by MagicJuggler »

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 10:50:05 pm »

Yah, but think of it as dirt and residue on the chamber floor tarnishing and obscuring the steel. You can always clean the steel by dismantling the underlying wall and scrubbing (rebuilding) it.
End the slaughter of dorf kittens!
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
-Albert Schweitzer

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2008, 11:50:24 pm »

Don't use steel floor tiles then, use steel walls on the layer underneath.