Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21

Author Topic: The Histories of Scarbasement  (Read 13473 times)

Kanute

• Bay Watcher
  • Gr
    • View Profile
Re: The Histories of Scarbasement
« Reply #105 on: November 07, 2008, 07:17:38 pm »

Seems about time to bunker up and wait for more migrants, lest dwarvendom die out!

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 07, 2008, 07:26:16 pm »

It's a generation fort, so no migrants for now.  I may add them later, if it becomes necessary and/or works with the developing story.  I may end up bunkering down for a while, though, the goblins are really getting annoying.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 07:54:28 pm by Dame de la Licorne »
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 07, 2008, 07:39:40 pm »

6th Granite, 206
I was visiting with Zuglar, trying to cheer her up and encourage her to get better, but she was back in one of her moods, claiming that Datan (the goddess of mountains) had spoken to her again.  Zuglar insists Datan has told her that soon she (Datan) would send a sign of her favor to us.  Although I love Zuglar dearly, I cannot help but believe that this "visitation" is simply the result of feverish hallucinations caused by the infection that has claimed her badly broken arm.  I fear for her life, and if she dies I do not know how I can continue here.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 07, 2008, 07:46:07 pm »

20th Granite, 206
Well, what do you know?  The elves have returned and they have brought us a caged mountain goat.  And not just any mountain goat, but a female.  Considering that the great goddess Datan normally takes the form of a female mountain goat, perhaps this is a sign, just as Zuglar predicted.  At any rate, it is better to not anger the gods and goddesses, so I bought the mountain goat and instructed the others that she is to be protected as befits a goddess's emissary.  Already I can feel the change in these halls.  The dark cloud of depression is lifting to be replaced by one of hope.  If the gods are protecting us, then we will succeed.
Ablel has begun digging out temples on the levels above the crypts.  The first will be Datan's, but when complete every god and goddess will have one that befits their stature and sphere of influence.  Unfortunately, with three dwarves too injured to work, and too much work for the seven of us capable of it, the progress on the temples will be slow.

The elves also brought a caged female cougar and hoary marmot.  The cougar, according to our trainer/fisher Litast, might be able to be tamed, so I bought her.  The hoary marmot also will be a good source of food and, more particularly, leather.  Now I only have to get a butchery and tannery constructed, but that is a small matter.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 07:49:29 pm by Dame de la Licorne »

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 07, 2008, 09:04:05 pm »

12th Hematite, 206
The humans came back, seeking restitution for the goods and traders lost last summer.  Humph.  Although pacifying them is far from being a priority, it is a useful excuse for getting rid of the junk every goblin raid seems to leave behind.  But, being a dwarf, I still attempted and succeeded at arguing them down from the initial sum they demanded.  What they plan to do with clothing that's tight on a dwarf, let alone a human, I don't think I want to know.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 08, 2008, 12:36:58 pm »

18th Hematite, 206
Atu glanced at the four squads surrounding him.  "Ya'll kner whit ta der, git ta't."  He commanded, gesturing to the hill across the brook.  The other three commanders nodded and faded into sneaking mode.  The human mercenary was to investigate the wall, and see if there was a way across the surrounding moat while the other three groups, one of them his, approached what appeared to be the main gate from three separate directions.  As Atu slipped carefully from bush to shrub, nearer and nearer his goal, he noticed only two dwarves on sentry duty, and several dogs milling about nearby.
Humph, two agin ma eight?  They'll be easy pickin's.  I won' ivan need th'othas fir this.
He glanced left and right, but didn't see his comrades.  He smiled slightly in satsifaction.  If I, knerin' whir ta laek, kin't fin' th'otha raida's thir's no way th' dwarves could--
"EEEP!"  One of the dogs had stumbled across a goblin, startling a cry from her and drawing the attention of the dwarves and dogs.  "Attaaaack!" Atu yelled, and the remaining goblins broke from their cover.
"An ambush! Chaaaarrrrge!"  The two dwarves came racing to meet them, the dogs following in formation.
Wait, the dogs're in formation?! "Crap! War daegs! Ta mai, goblins! Estrur! Ago! Ta mai!" Atu screamed, hoping the other parties would hear his cry.  Trained war dogs were not to be trifled with!  The dogs were already ripping into the goblins, thirsty for blood, Atu stabbed his sword into the first one he found, managing a lucky blow straight into the beast's lungs.

At the sight of the goblin killing one of his beloved dogs, Libash lost his senses.  He charged the goblin, knocking it flying ten tiles away, and proceeded to charge the rest of the goblins, killing them left, right and center.  Vucar had her own issues, for the goblin's rallying cry had brought a second group out of ambush right on top of her.  Flailing around madly, she knocked several of them into the trapped entrance and, with the help of the dogs, the others were soon dealt with more permanently.
Libash and Vucar looked around at the carnage, and then began to walk back into the entry when a third raiding party attacked.  These goblins; however, were concentrating on killing the dogs, and the dwarves made short work of disposing of the inattentive goblins.

Lesno and his raiding party had watched the carnage from a safe, undetected distance and they saw Atu fall shortly after battle was joined, and the fate of the three groups with him.  Deciding that caution was the better part of valor, he signaled a retreat, and the remaining goblins slipped away much more carefully than they had come.  If only two dwarves and a handful of war dogs could do that....their demon lord would have to decide the best way of dealing with this stubborn outpost.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 12:42:28 pm by Dame de la Licorne »

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 08, 2008, 12:48:51 pm »

20th Hematite, 206
After the goblin attack a few days ago, we now have quite a few caged goblins.  They are nasty little green-skinned creatures, one of them tried to bite Oddom as she was walking by, poor child.  I did ask Ablel, as we were conveniently walking past the racked cages, how close to completion the arena was, since we had such worthy victims --ahem-- opponents to torture fight.  The slimy bastards went a rather sickly greenish-white.  I have no intention of letting on that we have no arena, as of yet.  But I believe that these goblins will prove to be an excellent source of training in the true goblin fighting style, meaning that hopefully there will be fewer injuries in later battles.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 08, 2008, 01:01:47 pm »

5th Galena, 206
Durien was surprised to see Arnmod running through the hall towards him this evening, the lad never seemed to run anywhere.  And so Durien stopped him to ask what was wrong.
"Ther're two mountain goats in th' cage traps!"
Mountain goats?  In the cage traps?  he went to verify this odd piece of news, and lo and behold, there were indeed two mountain goats in cages in the entry, both of them male.
"Datan's sent them ter us as well, as a sign of her favor."  Zuglar intoned, though her delivery would have been more impressive if she hadn't been half-lying on the floor, clutching her broken arm.  Apparently she had crawled from her bed all the way to the entry, something that surely wasn't conducive to speedy healing.  Durien hurried to her side, "Yer shoul' be'n bed, swee'har'.  Don' werry 'bou' th' goats."

Excerpt from Durien's log entry
But, if it will keep morale strong, I'll be willing to put up with hundred mountain goats.  As it is, I think I may be able to work it to our advantage.  If we butcher any males, keeping one for breeding purposes, but keep the females alive, I believe we will have another steady source of food, without angering the goddess Datan.  But first, I'll ask Libash to tame the two males.  But the question remains, how did they get into the cages?  We've seen the occasionally gamboling across the high peaks to the east, but I haven't seen them come down this far.  Are they indeed a sign of good things to come, as Zuglar maintains, or are they a warning that the worst still lies ahead of us?  I suppose only time will tell.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 01:31:50 pm by Dame de la Licorne »

Kanute

• Bay Watcher
  • Gr
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 08, 2008, 03:22:34 pm »

I was under the impression that the original 7 dwarves couldn't mate. Is this right?

Also, I love the dialects!

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 08, 2008, 03:54:34 pm »

I was under the impression that the original 7 dwarves couldn't mate. Is this right?

Sometime during the first 3D versions, the scripts were changed so that now dwarves fall in love and get married.  There are currently two sets of lovers; Durien and Zuglar, and Ablel and Litast, as well as the married Kib and Kivish (immigrants).

Also, I love the dialects!

I try.  :P

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 08, 2008, 04:21:18 pm »

2nd Limestone, 206
Kivish has recovered, and I've set him to start making a dent in all the hauling tasks that have built up.  He will also start smoothing our new, permanent dining room in his spare time.  I look forward to eating in a space that doesn't feel so cramped.
Litast's arm has mended but his hand is taking longer.  I hope he won't take too much longer, as he had barely begun making us decent iron armor from the goblin leavings.
It has now been nearly a year since Zuglar's injuries and she still remains a-bed.  Although the infection in her arm seems to have cleared up, the healing process is taking a long time.  By comparison, her other injuries were all healed six months ago.  Then again, Vucar took two years to heal from a similar injury, so I suppose I should be patient. 

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 08, 2008, 06:21:32 pm »

17th Limestone, 206
The dwarven merchants returned, although they didn't really bring anything useful.  Just some wood and stone blocks.  I took the wood, but we have so much stone that I refuse to buy more off any traders.  I wish we could demand things from them, but that would be a bad idea, we don't need any new enemies.  Some olivine would be very nice for Datan's temple, or green glass.  Well, there are more important things to worry about, like fortifying the entrance so that we can close it completely against the goblin infestations.  Even though it would mean cutting off all communication with the rest of the world, it may be our only choice if they keep attacking us in such large numbers.  Our luck can't hold out very long at this rate.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 08, 2008, 06:28:32 pm »

3rd Sandstone, 206
Kib has given birth to a boy, and Arnmod is so overjoyed at having a brother at last, instead of the parade of sisters, that he threw a party and invited the entire fort to celebrate.  The newest arrival's name is Datan, named in honor of the dead fisherdwarf who had been a good friend of Kivish's before his untimely death.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 08, 2008, 06:32:43 pm »

5th Moonstone, 206
Yeah!  Drinks all around!  Litast is healed!  Hip hip hooraaayyy!!!!  Ahem.  Litast's hand has finally healed, which means that he can start working at the forge again, instead of hanging around in the dining room or our outdoor courtyard complaining about the pain.  Really, if he was in that much pain he could have gone and drowned it at the bottom of a keg.  But that's over, because he's better!

There follows several lines of dwarven excitement, repeating over and over about how good armor and excellent weapons were now forthcoming.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 06:34:20 pm by Dame de la Licorne »

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 08, 2008, 06:46:55 pm »

15th Moonstone, 206
"Call ter arms! The kobolds're att--! KOBOLDS!??"  Vucar nearly keeled over from surprise.
"Kobolds?!  I didn' know kobolds're brave enuff ter attack anythin'."  Kivish exclaimed, jumping up from the floor he was smoothing just outside the depot.
"Well, 'parently they do!"  Vucar replied, neatly getting a hold of the nearest one and throwing it into the cliff-face.  A second one followed swiftly, and then Kivish discovered a thief attempting to sneak past the traps.  He dealt with the thief only slightly less quickly than Vucar, and the rest of the kobolds scattered, fleeing as swiftly as their short legs could carry them.
"Tch!"  Vucar spit on the ground.  "Onc'a cowar', always a cowar'."
Kivish sighed, looking around.  "'N' I had jus' cleaned th' las' mess up."

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21