Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21

Author Topic: The Histories of Scarbasement  (Read 13461 times)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Re: The Histories of Scarbasement
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2008, 11:13:24 am »

10th Hematite, 203
Another caravan has arrived, this time humans from the nearby town of Gil Ocda. It seems the Kabcatten dwarves mentioned us to them when they stopped last fall, and the humans heard of our desperate need for an anvil.  The humans are clearly fairly smart traders, for they have brought an anvil!  It's horrendously expensive, but I managed to trade for it, using the useless clothes the dead kobolds no longer need.  Giant cave spider silk anything has much to be appreciated.  They had also brought two caged donkeys, loaded onto the same camel, what a feat of engineering!  I mentioned it to them, and they replied "Wal, the camel needs tah be balanced, don't it?"
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2008, 11:20:23 am »

16th Hematite, 203
One of the humans introduced herself as Rismal Tucrotec, a human Guild representative, and our trade liaison.  A trade liaison?  I thought only dwarves had those.  But she proceeded to ask me what our most pressing needs were, and I decided to give her a short list.  If those humans can manage to fill these small requests, then I believe we may be able to accommodate the modest human demands.  Well, other than the cheese.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 11:46:45 am by Dame de la Licorne »
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2008, 11:58:44 am »

24th Hematite, 203
I have assigned more war dogs to guard our entrance, as the kobolds seem to be getting either braver, or stupider.  I axed two to death as I was on my way to chop another tree.
Litast was overjoyed when I presented him with his anvil, and is now building a forge.  Unfortunately, as we have not completed the magma conduits (it being low on the list as long as we didn't have an anvil), it is coke-powered, but Ablel has discovered a vein of coal and a vein of lignite, so I don't believe we'll run out of fuel before being able to use the magma.  And there is plenty of iron ore just waiting to be dug out, so both Litast and Ablel will be quite busy for the foreseeable future.  That's one dwarf that I no longer need to appease.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 10:18:49 am by Dame de la Licorne »

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2008, 02:31:59 pm »

1st Limestone, 203
The summer has been very quiet, allowing Litast to get his forge up and running, with Ast's help.  Indeed, he wouldn't give her a moment's peace until she did help him.  He also convinced her to build a smelter and furnace, and he is now happily melting the iron ore into decent grade iron bars, ready to make into all manner of useful dwarven things, including true weapons and armor.  Although the walls of the enclave have not advanced very much, the moat is fully complete, and I think the dwarves working outdoors will be safe enough there.
Ablel has dug out several veins for Litast, and I have been considering what project I'd like her to work on next.  Glancing around, I've realized that we are still eating in the tiny dining area that we set up during our first year in this place, and I've decided to ask Ablel to dig out a much larger, grander dining room to be a sign of the new prosperity that lies before us, gods willing.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2008, 06:50:52 pm »

13th Limestone, 203
The Kabcatten traders have returned, bringing tidings from the lands north of our quiet little valley, but such things do not concern us, for today the Tuxumstozu goblins have discovered our haven.  Kivish came across a child-snatcher, and though he killed it, it is now only a matter of time before the Tuxumstozu descend upon us in force.  Our entry must be secure when that happens, there is no other option.  I have also commanded that the children, Oddom and Arnmod, remain inside at all times, for their safety.  Who knows how many other sneaking child thieves lurk outside these walls?

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2008, 07:29:42 pm »

16th Limestone, 203
I was right to fear the number of goblins, for Logem discovered another today.  He killed it almost immediately, and I am glad we all gained some skill in wrestling while we had the chance.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2008, 07:30:16 pm »

17th Limestone, 203
"Git out o' tha' craftshop!  Yer need ter buil' th' walls!"  Durien had found Ast crafting again.
"Bu' don' we need trade goods?  I'm makin' 'em."
"NO!  We don' bloody need trade goods!  We bloody need proper walls ter protect us when we're outside!"
"Ah, they kin wait."  Ast said, turning back to her work bench.
"Yer haven' heard th' news then."  Durien folded his arms across his chest and shook his head.
"What news?"
"Tuxumstozu's here."
"WHAT!!!!"  Ast's horrified reaction was all that Durien had expected, and kind of hoped for, in a way.
He nodded soberly.  "Their child thieves, anyway.  An' th' main army won' be long, I shouldn' wonder.  So yer see why we needed those walls yesterday?"
Ast was looking frantically around, rummaging through the piles of things as if her life depended on it.  "Where is it?  Where is it !?  WHERE!?"
With a sigh Durien asked, "What'er yer lookin' fer?"
"Th' enclos---AH HA!  Here they'er!"  And Ast pulled out a rag with something drawn on it.
"What's that?"
"Th' plans fer th' enclosure!  Th' walls'll be up by th' end o' th' month!  Can't let 'em gobbos git us, by th' great gods!"  And Ast rushed off to grab the first of the blocks she needed.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 10:20:01 am by Dame de la Licorne »

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2008, 07:31:42 pm »

22nd Limestone, 203
Plump helmets!  The traders brought plump helmets!  We haven't had a good plump helmet since that day three years ago when we had to flee the Mountainhome.  Needless to say, I have bought all of the plump helmets the traders brought.  As soon as we have some spawn, Kib has plans to plant it and we will always have true dwarven food and wine.  Sure Tuxumstozu clearly knows where we are, but as long as I have plump helmets, they're unimportant.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2008, 07:32:43 pm »

11th Sandstone, 203
Arnmod has organized a private party in our dining room to celebrate the delivery of the plump helmets.  He has, of course, made sure to invite myself and my dear Zuglar, but he has excluded nearly half of our small group.  Fortunately Arnmod chose not to invite those whose tasks are vital; Ast, Litast and Kib, and they don't seem to be too upset.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2008, 07:33:53 pm »

27th Sandstone, 203
Kib gave birth to a second girl today, and she and Kivish have named her Nomal, meaning staff.  Arnmod has been complaining that he already had a sister and wanted a brother.  I don't see the point, but I do hate having to wait twelve years for the child to be useful for anything.  Although, if she and her sister follow Arnmod's example, they can help harvest the crops, which I suppose is useful enough for most children, but I do wish that they would do other chores as well.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2008, 07:35:52 pm »

18th Moonstone, 203
Ablel sighted another goblin this evening, and proceeded to take it down with an efficiency unmatched by any of the others.  She swung that pick of hers like a weapon, and it was a deadly one.  I suppose, being a miner, she would know how to use it in a such a way better than anyone else, but considering that she refused to participate in any training, she is an excellent fighter.  Though I am eternally grateful that the gods saw fit to send her with us on that fateful day, I can't help but wonder where she learned to fight like that.  Perhaps some day she'll tell the tale.

Kanute

• Bay Watcher
  • Gr
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2008, 10:26:05 pm »

Still following closely!

Big fan of the moat, and can't wait to see the surface-fortress take form.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 22, 2008, 11:51:22 am »

2nd Opal, 203
The walls are taking longer to build than I would like, even with Ast spending all her time shaping the stone and setting it in place.  I will help her, although I know little about stoneworking.  It does not seem so difficult.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 22, 2008, 11:52:23 am »

27th Opal, 203
The first level of our permanent dining area has been carved out.  Although we all feel that our current dining arrangements are sufficient, I would prefer that the dining room be closer to the food production facilities, and the still.  It will truly be a grand place when it is complete, though it is very rough at the moment.  Kivish has begun smoothing the rooms, but we will all take our turns as we have time, I think.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 22, 2008, 12:49:24 pm »

It makes me sad that more people haven't commented on this.  I'm enjoying your story quite a lot.  Keep up the good work! 
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21