Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21

Author Topic: The Histories of Scarbasement  (Read 13462 times)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Re: The Histories of Scarbasement
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2008, 02:29:32 pm »

18th Hematite, 202
It is now clear that the first kobold definitely spread the word.  The dratted things are everywhere.  We can't take a step outside without running into one.  Or two.  On the up-side, with our new guards in place, not a single one is getting away, once we know about it and so far our tunnels are free of their nasty thieving selves.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2008, 04:00:26 pm »

23rd Hematite, 202
While expanding our caverns, Ablel has made wonderful discoveries.  These hills are riddled with iron ore (hematite and limonite!) and coal!  Litast is beside himself with excitement and goes on and on about what he could do "if'n only I had an anvil!"  The anvil is certainly at the top of my trading priority list now, and if the gods smile upon us we will be producing weapons and armor by the next spring.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2008, 04:20:50 pm »

22nd Malachite, 202
The first of the bedrooms has been completed, smoothed as smooth as is dwarvenly possible.  Although we all are anxious to have our own private spaces, Kib and Kivish were alloted one, and I have claimed the other.  Ablel alone doesn't seem to have a preference for bedroom versus barracks, but as she spends the majority of her time mining, I suppose to her a bedroom is no more than a place to sleep.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2008, 04:44:42 pm »

The page is crinkled, as if it had gotten wet at some point, and there are sticky splotches, though you can still make out the words.

28th Malachite, 202
I raise my mu-- uh, keg, of true dwarven beer in salute to Logem, the best of brewers!  He has taken the first crop of cave wheat and brewed a wonderful batch of beer!  Good-bye tuber slop, hello beer.  Unfortunately the dwarf apparently likes the tuber stuff, and insists on brewing more of it.  Waste of a good barrel, I say, but it does pay to keep the brewer happy, so as long as he continues to make this beer, I won't complain too loudly about the tuber...beer.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2008, 06:08:35 pm »

7th Limestone, 202
Things have been tenser than usual lately, as Arnmod and Vucar are at odds.  They often argue about whether something falls under the domain of Arnmod's preferred god, Volal Asenstettad, or Vucar's god, Id Datan Avuz.  To my mind, there is little difference between them, as Volal Asenstettad oversees wealth and jewels, while Id Datan Avuz is responsible for minerals.  In addition Vucar insists on calling Arnmod, 'Tholtig', and has managed to provoke him to several screaming matches, to the point that I have had to step in more than once to keep them from breaking things when they revert to fistfights.  With the thirteen of us living in such cramped quarters, I suppose grudges are inevitable, but it makes life more difficult for the rest of us when they try to make us choose sides.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2008, 07:17:17 pm »

22nd Limestone, 202
The Kabcatten merchants returned today, without an anvil.  Litast can barely contain his disappointment.  The merchants did bring some meat, and quite a few crafts that we don't need.  They also had some animals in cages, and a lot of cheese.  I traded for the food, but there wasn't really anything else of interest in the pile of virtually useless goods they brought.
I did meet with the merchant leader, and he said he did have a few anvils, but one of the outposts the caravan stopped at had bought all of them.  At this rate, we'll have to send a delegation of our own to find an anvil somewhere, and we can't afford the dwarves for that.  I suppose we'll have to make do with leather, bone and wood for the foreseeable future.  But how we are to survive even a single attack by Tuxumstozu with that level of armor and weaponry, I just don't know.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2008, 08:45:05 pm »

27th Timber, 202
Kivish has been bragging all day, because Kib has given birth to a girl this morning.  The proud parents are calling her Oddom, or "Cloister".  The name is rather appropriate, considering our situation.  The first birth since the tragedy, I hope it will mean that our luck has changed, that we will succeed in rebuilding Olon Thasdoth to be greater than ever before.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2008, 10:51:59 am »

28th Moonstone, 202
Logem has banded together with Datan, Ablel and Zuglar to insist on a few surface farms to grow rope reeds and longland grass, since they like what Logem has termed "river spirits" and "longland beer".  We also have a lot of seeds for various kinds of berries, so I believe it may be worth it to grow some of those as well, so that Logem can spend more time brewing and less time gathering.  To that end, Ablel and Ast have begun construction of the outdoor enclosure which will provide both protection and a military vantage point.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2008, 11:06:29 am »

9th Opal, 202
I must say that Zuglar improves upon closer acquaintance.  I still doubt whether she actually hears the mighty Datan speak to her, but otherwise she is quite good company, and very attractive, in her way.    Being of an organized bent, I believe I may have found a kindred spirit in Zuglar.  I may even be in love...just a little bit.
Vucar and Arnmod's feud has evolved into a sort of cold war, with Vucar volunteering for extra duty at the front gates, and both avoid each other as much as possible.  For the most part it's a welcome change, but when both are in the same room there is a good deal of awkwardness and tension, especially as I am good friends with both and often find myself in the position of mediator.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 11:12:38 am by Dame de la Licorne »

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2008, 01:09:15 pm »

9th Obsidian, 202
While digging out some more farms and storage areas, Ablel has struck water.  It appears to be an aquifer, and Ablel believes it may saturate the entire valley about three levels below the surface.  At least, she says the rock type is about right for being aquifer.  In the hill, we have been digging through hard rock, while the valley is composed mainly of softer, porous rock.  At least now we can now install a well and stop those small complaints, if we can figure out how to make the necessary mechanisms.  I believe I'll ask the lovely Zuglar to do that, as a personal favor.  The job list just keeps getting longer.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2008, 05:14:45 pm »

1st Granite, 203
Another year has drawn to a close, and we are making do.

The moat is partly finished, but Ast is really taking her time getting the walls up, preferring to spend time crafting.  I am going to have to speak to her about that, we don't need the crafts as much as we need protection.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 07:32:02 pm by Dame de la Licorne »

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2008, 07:31:40 pm »

9th Granite, 203
The elves have returned, earlier than last year but with a larger caravan.  They seemed pleased that we were still here, and inquired after our general health.  They seemed a bit too interested in how many new dwarves had joined us, but I managed to put them off by implying that most of our numbers were out of sight deep underground, without giving them hard numbers.  I do not like these elves, they are too curious about matters that are none of their concern.  Not to mention, they clearly have no idea what goods to trade to dwarves.  They once again brought bins upon bins of cloth, with some plants stuffed in almost as an afterthought.  They also have a few crafts, and a wooden cage, but those are of no interest.  I was almost done trading, when I noticed that they had brought arrows.  Arrows!  Who in their right mind would bring arrows to a dwarf?  Everyone knows dwarves refuse to use anything other than bolts and crossbows for ranged weapons.  Or apparently, everyone except these elves from Rofa Uni.  Stupid gangly creatures.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2008, 07:39:37 pm »

17th Granite, 203
Well, spring is definitely here.  The dratted kobolds are back after a quiet kobold-less winter, trying again to gather something of worth, whether it be physical or informational.  Ast killed the first one this morning, and so we must all be even more on our guard.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2008, 09:27:04 am »

13th Slate. 203
The elves have finally left today, lingering far longer than they should have after the little trading that took place.  They are far too interested in our defensive capabilities, and Ablel and I have begun drawing up plans for some...surprises...should they try anything beyond trading.  In fact, were our numbers greater than a pitiful fourteen (counting the children!) I wouldn't hesitate to deal with the elven trader threat.  As it is, caution is advised.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2008, 09:56:35 am »

8th Hematite, 203
The moat is essentially complete, I only need to chop a few more trees and Ablel will finish digging it.  But it is so difficult to drag myself away from my dearest Zuglar, and from her reluctance to perform her duties in favor of spending time with me, I am fairly sure she feels the same way.
Ast is proceeding quite slowly on the walls, and after finding her in the craftshop for the fifth time in a single day, I have forbidden her crafting until the enclosure is complete.  She was most upset, but our safety is paramount.  We will not fail our appointed task.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 10:39:58 am by Dame de la Licorne »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21