Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21

Author Topic: The Histories of Scarbasement  (Read 13459 times)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Re: The Histories of Scarbasement
« Reply #225 on: November 30, 2008, 05:57:28 pm »

3rd Moonstone, 214
As we were moving the cages to an area more convenient to our new arena, one of the cowardly goblin scouts managed to break out of its cage and made a beeline for the front gates.  Fortunately Arnmod used his crossbow to hammer him to death.  I am glad Vucar is confined to her bed and missed the sight.  She does has a tendency to go berserk whenever he does that.

If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 30, 2008, 05:58:51 pm »

20th Moonstone, 214
Arnmod seems pleased enough with both his new office and dining room.  Then again, since Ast and Ablel were standing right there, Ablel armed with her pick, I think he decided it would be better not to anger them.  These two rooms are furnished with some of Ast's finest works, after all, and Ablel dug them out and smoothed them in record time.  And considering Ablel's unmatched skill with her pick, in battle as well as in digging, discretion is the better part of valor.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 30, 2008, 06:01:23 pm »

21st Moonstone, 214
Somehow, the cat has given birth to a kitten.  Since there has been no loose male that I know of, I am puzzled as to how this has managed to happen, but it does mean that we will soon have some fresh kitten meat to supplement the plump helmets, once Oddom gets a hold of it.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 30, 2008, 06:02:02 pm »

5th Opal, 214
The arena is open for business!  Except these goblins don't seem to want to cooperate.  They refuse to fight each other!  No amount of threatening will convince them!  In stubbornness, they almost equal dwarves, at least in this.  Maybe if we start dumping the ones that refuse to fight into the magma...?  Worth a shot, anyway.  Otherwise, I'll just turn them into live-fire target practice.  Can't have too much of that after all.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 30, 2008, 06:03:46 pm »

20th Obsidian, 214
I've decided that it's time to start doing something about decorating our halls since they are very bare.  To that end I've asked Ast to start building statues depicting the great history of Olon Thasdoth and, consequently, that of this fortress of Scarbasement.  I will also order that every part of the fort will be smoothed as time permits, except for the mining shafts, of course.

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 30, 2008, 06:17:46 pm »

Could You make me a Soldier? Hammerdwarf would be nice ;)

Also, Make a room entirely out of Verticle and horizontal bars, link one up to a lever, put a caged goblin in there, position a one man squad containing a wrestler inside the cage room, release the goblin, and then get ready to rumble xD
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
They're like little bearded corals.

Kanute

• Bay Watcher
  • Gr
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 30, 2008, 09:20:56 pm »

Sheriff! Nice. What's Arnmod's killcount up to now?

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 30, 2008, 09:51:50 pm »

@Plank: What do you want to call your dwarf?  Preferred gender?  Warning, this is a generational fort, so I can either give you one of the children (a girl is due to grow up soon, the next boy will take 2-3 game years) and train you into military when you grow up, or you can claim one of the adults, only Durien and Arnmod are claimed at the moment.

@Kanute: You are currently at 56 notable kills (named creatures), and 2 unnamed creatures.

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 01, 2008, 10:40:53 am »

Name: Duchess Nukem
Gender: I'll take the girl, give her the pump labour until she's an uber-trooper xD

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 01, 2008, 11:03:21 am »

14th Granite, 215
The goblins have attacked earlier than usual this year, arriving even before the seasonal caravan.  They chose to attempt to ambush Arnmod, a folly in and of itself, especially considering that Ablel and I were just inside the entrance, ready to support him, not that he needed it.  That dwarf is lethal with a crossbow, in spite of (or maybe because of?) his predilection for using it as a hammer.  Ablel and I dove in with pick and axe, even as he knocked the first goblin down.  Ablel swung her pick with mighty blows, but one of the goblins got in a lucky swing, breaking her upper thigh and causing some soft tissue injuries, nothing that won't heal given time, fortunately but annoying none-the-less.  Arnmod and I were quick enough on our feet and skilled enough with our chosen weapons that we escaped any injury.  One of the goblins attempted to escape, but Arnmod was after him at once, and brought him down about halfway across the valley.  I hadn't realized just how fast he's gotten, but then again, he is a champion fighter.  It's a pity he won't spar at all any more, since his spine was injured.  He'd make a good teacher for the children when they get old enough.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 01, 2008, 11:11:15 am »

16th Granite, 215
These elves clearly can't take a hint.  They came back, again, and were ambushed, again.  The only thing different between this spring and the last two springs was that Arnmod was close enough to take care of the goblins, and the elves made it to the depot, unfortunately.  But, what they brought was worth the inconvenience, I think.  They brought us a wolf.  I promptly traded as much goblin silk as they could carry for the cage.  I'm sure the wolf will come in handy at some point.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 01, 2008, 11:15:12 am »

14th Slate, 215
The goddess Datan has indicated which of her goats she is willing that we slaughter, to Zuglar's dismay and Oddom has gone to fetch her victim.  Although she has tried to convince us otherwise, she cannot argue against the will of the gods and has been forced to agree.  She refuses to eat any of the meat, but that's her problem.  For the rest of us, we are always happy to get a bit of variation in our diet, as the traders do not always bring the freshest meat.  Some of that stuff is fit only for the refuse pile by the time it gets here. 

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 01, 2008, 11:17:09 am »

22nd Slate, 215
I've been thinking of the goblin/arena problem lately, and I've finally hit on a possible solution.  We have several bears and a wolf, I wonder how well an unarmed goblin will fare against them?  We will soon see.

OOC: Plank, you are now dwarfed.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 11:21:42 am by Dame de la Licorne »

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 01, 2008, 04:51:59 pm »

OOC: Bloody hell, her parents have been busy!

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 02, 2008, 11:50:57 am »

13th Hematite, 215
"Anvils!  Wha' d'yer 'xpec' us ter do wi' anvils!  We don' need em!"  Durien yelled at the hapless human merchant.  "We asked fer bolts!"
"An' we brung bolts!"  The merchants pointed to the piled bolts.
A quick count later, Durien was not appeased.  "Fifty!  How're we s'posed ter defend 'gainst invaders wi' on'y fifty metal bolts!"
"Tha's all we coul' fit wif the anvils an' the wood,"  Doto protested.  "Ya'll ain't th'only stop on our trade route, y'know!"
Durien glared at him from under his shaggy brows.  Even though the dwarf barely reached the human's waist, Doto still had to fight the impulse to take a step back.  He bit back a sigh of relief when the dwarf resumed his examination of the goods for sale.
"'N' wha's this?"  Durien took a dagger from his belt and prodded the hunk of meat he had discovered.
"Why that's alligator meat.  It may be some o' the best--"
"It looks like somethin' th' cat dragged in."  Durien leaned forward slightly, took a sniff, and reeled backwards.  "'N' smells like it too!  No way're we buyin' that!  I don' care if'n it came from th' king himself!"
Doto ground his teeth together.  Patience, he told himself, patience.  But this dwarf was being very difficult.

Some hours later Durien finally seemed satisfied that he had seen everything the merchants had to offer, and Doto asked, "So, shall we trade?"
Durien glanced at him.  "Hmmph.  Tomorrer maybe, or th' day after, no need ter rush things."  And he bustled off into the depths of the mountain.
Doto barely kept himself from screaming in frustration.  What will it take to get the blasted dwarf to trade?

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21