Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21

Author Topic: The Histories of Scarbasement  (Read 13460 times)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Re: The Histories of Scarbasement
« Reply #210 on: November 22, 2008, 03:05:12 pm »

2nd Opal, 213
Libash's arm has healed, and he insists on getting up and doing work, even though his right lung shows no sign of improvement.  He keeps getting out of breath and works more slowly than the rest of us, but otherwise he seems alright.  I'll have him go back to fishing and training the occasional war dog, at least those don't seem to require much exertion.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 22, 2008, 03:32:18 pm »

14th Granite, 214
The stupid elves managed to get themselves butchered again.  That's the second elven caravan in a row!  Maybe they'll stop coming?  But that would probably be too much to hope for.  Before dying, one of the elves managed to lead his goblin pursuers right into the teeth of our war dogs, about the only sign of good sense they've demonstrated.  The dogs ripped apart three of the goblins while they were intent on killing the elf.  If this is how the dead elven civilization dealt with the goblins, it's no surprise that they were murdered, and it seems obvious that these elves are going to follow in their footsteps.  I'm going to leave the goblins outside the gates, maybe they'll get bored and go away.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 03:46:06 pm by Dame de la Licorne »
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 22, 2008, 03:43:04 pm »

17th Slate, 214
With the last piece of obsidian removed from the lowest level of the arena, I've ordered the release of magma into that level.  Our arena is nearly ready for use!  Soon we will amuse ourselves watching the goblins fight each other to the death, hehehe.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 22, 2008, 05:34:30 pm »

22nd Felsite, 214
Zuglar and I have decided to formalize our relationship, for the sake of Olon Thasdoth.  After all, a great civilization needs more than one lineage.  Even though Zuglar mistakes herself for the voice of Datan far too often, when she is not on a religious bent, she is really quite sweet.

OOC: Finally!  I had to "cheat" a bit to finally get them to that point, by disabling all of their jobs for about two seasons.  Slowed things down rather noticeably in the interim.  :P
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 05:36:31 pm by Dame de la Licorne »

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 24, 2008, 11:29:18 am »

26th Felsite, 214
I was about to order the release of the first of our goblin prisoners into the arena, when Kivish came to me and asked how I was planning to prevent their eruption into the fort and get them to fight.  I thought it was obvious and brought him to the arena's fighting level to show him, and realized what he meant.  Only one of the outer bridges had been built, with only two more planned, and none of the inner bridges had even been planned for yet!  Not only that, but the only built bridge couldn't be raised because it wasn't hooked to any levers, which incidentally weren't built either!  Great gods and goddesses!  I take a one week break to enjoy my new wife, and I come back to realize that nothing has been done.  Do I have to do everything myself?  I found Ast and set her to building the bridges, while I picked up the nearest stone and set to making mechanisms, since no one seems to have the time or inclination.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 24, 2008, 03:21:25 pm »

14th Hematite, 214
We opened the gates to find that the loitering goblins had vanished, but we didn't know whether they had gone away or gone into hiding.  The human caravan arrived shortly thereafter, and the goblins proved to have stuck around, but in ambush mode.  The human wagons struck down the lead goblin, simply running over him until he was little more than a pile of badly treated meat on the ground.  The human mercenaries took out nearly half of the goblins, causing the remainder to flee and leaving no work for Arnmod.  He has been complaining about it since, but I am more inclined to wonder if we are rich enough to afford human mercenaries as guards for our little fort.  They do seem to be quite capable with their chosen line of work.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 24, 2008, 03:21:55 pm »

17th Malachite, 214
With Datan's temple well on its way to completion, I've begun drawing up plans for more temples.  The next one on the list will be Ifin Ostathkirar, deity of storms and fortresses.  With any luck he will be inclined to continue watching over us once he has a place of worship.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 05:43:04 pm by Dame de la Licorne »

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 24, 2008, 05:46:57 pm »

5th Galena, 214
Another couple has followed Zuglar's and my lead and have announced their intention to marry.  I am a bit surprised at the pairing, since the two never seem to speak to each other much as Litast is always in his forge or smelter and Ablel spends most of her time in the deep mines.  Well, far be it for me to criticize, considering my choice in spouse.  They threw a party in the courtyard and four dwarves attended, rather more than for my marriage.  Then again, Zuglar isn't as popular as both Litast and Ablel are, so I suppose it makes some sense.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 25, 2008, 09:00:52 am »

9th Limestone, 214
I really really want to convince those mercenaries to guard our fort.  The Kabcatten caravan arrived today, and were (of course) ambushed by goblins.  The caravan guards proceeded to butcher the lot of them before Arnmod could interfere, much to his displeasure.  You'd think he was Armok, the way he carries on sometimes.  But I must admit, goblins ambushing caravans and proceeding to get slaughtered by their victims is becoming quite a habit.  Did I mention that I'd like to hire some of the guards?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 10:55:13 am by Dame de la Licorne »

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 30, 2008, 04:33:44 pm »

20th Limestone, 214
Where is that sock?  Vucar wondered, digging through the pile of discarded goblin loot.  [/i]I was sure--[/i]  "Ah ha!"  Triumphantly she pounced and held the sock high.  The traders would surely pay well for such a thing.  Turning to head back inside to the waiting depot, she was arrested by the movement of a bush.  Movement, but there was no wind on this still autumn's day, and she knew none of the fortress animals had followed her out.  "Ambush!"  She screamed.
At the dwarf's scream, the goblins rushed from their hiding places in an attempt to kill her before the dread fort came to her rescue.  However, Vucar had not fought off over twenty goblin ambushes for nothing, even if she hadn't yet actually killed one.  Dropping the sock she had come to fetch, she charged the lead goblin, determined to dispose of him before that blasted Arnmod could arrive and take the glory.  But as she charged, the first of Arnmod's bolts struck with deadly accuracy, striking one of the goblins in the lungs and spine, causing him to pitch forward with a reddish froth bubbling from his mouth.  Another goblin's pike embedded itself in Vucar's thigh, and as she fell to the ground she could only watch as Arnmod shot all the goblins.  One bowgoblin managed to loose an arrow before he died, and Vucar watched as the arrow embedded itself in Arnmod's midback, where he had exposed himself to shoot another fleeing goblin.
That'll teach him.  He won't be so high-and-mighty now.  Vucar smiled to herself, in spite of the pain from her broken leg.  The wannabe warrior needed to be taught respect.

OOC: Sorry about the long wait, I haven't been near the internet all weekend.  :P

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 30, 2008, 04:37:13 pm »

28th Limestone, 214
Three of the child-snatchers have attempted to breach our halls, fortunately they failed and we have more bones to carve into training bolts.  Two were killed when they met Arnmod at the entry.  Even with an injured spine the lad is still a crack shot.  The third was apparently badly startled when it ran into one of the mountain gnomes that sometimes come this far into the foothills.  More scouts that the goblin army will have to do without, though it doesn't seem to dissuade them from coming.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 30, 2008, 04:42:42 pm »

12th Sandstone, 214
I have been busy with other tasks, and so asked my dear Zuglar to trade in my place.  I told her to take as much of the steel stuff as we could afford, since Litast still has difficulty making it.  However, she decided to ignore me, and traded for some of every type of seed the traders brought, including cave wheat, even though we already have a supply of that.  Although the supplement to our diet will be welcome, the steel would have been even more useful and she didn't trade for any of it!  Apparently Datan "didn't approve".  Hmph.  We have managed to outfit Arnmod in a full suit of steel armor, but mostly it's stuff we bought from the traders and she wants us to make it from scratch?  We'll never have enough to equip a suitable defensive force at this rate!

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 30, 2008, 04:44:07 pm »

18th Sandstone, 214
Kib has given birth to a girl, Sibrek, or Salve.  And it seems our community has reached the population level that, by long-standing tradition allows us to appoint a sheriff.  I will give the position to Arnmod, he deserves some compensation for his never-ending vigilance.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 30, 2008, 04:46:35 pm »

28th Sandstone, 214
Humph.  With his new appointment official, Arnmod has begun demanding things.  Beginning with a dining room and an office.   I suppose I can understand the dining room, even though the common one is excellent, but what a military type wants with an office...?  It's not like we have anything approaching a military.  At least his bedroom seems to remain satisfactory.  He also wants a weapon rack and an armor stand, which I find more understandable as he is a military dwarf and of course would need someplace to put his armor. 
But, he is also demanding a jail!  I'm not sure I'm willing to build one, considering the traditional form of dwarven justice.  But, perhaps here we can change that justice to be a bit fairer.  I will consider on this.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 30, 2008, 05:54:59 pm »

27th Timber, 214
Oddom has finally grown to an age where she can be of some use to this fort.  I think I'll have her take over the butchery, tannery and leatherworking jobs, they take me so long to complete.  I'd like to have her get some military training as well, but with Arnmod's spinal injury he can't train her.  Perhaps Libash could teach her the basics, in spite of his nearly constant breathlessness.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21