Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21

Author Topic: The Histories of Scarbasement  (Read 13472 times)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Re: The Histories of Scarbasement
« Reply #135 on: November 09, 2008, 04:54:28 pm »

23rd Malachite, 208
Litast has created the first of our new weapons, a superiorly crafted battle axe to replace my current rather unremarkable one.  He has also forged an exceptional pick to replace Ablel's, which broke a few weeks ago.  That isn't very surprising, since she had been using a shoddily made copper pick.  Indeed, she mentioned she was rather surprised it actually held out this long.  I suspect that the last bit of mining she did, she was mining in spite of the pick, instead of with it.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 09, 2008, 05:06:22 pm »

10th Galena, 208
Our dining hall is complete.  Still rather rough around the edges, but we're working on that.  It's a bit bare of furniture, at the moment, but we have tables and thrones in the stockpiles just waiting to be hauled into place.  The four rooms at each of the corners are conveniently placed food and drink stockpiles, and the dining hall itself is a three-story dome.  Ablel has truly outdone herself mining and channeling it!  Below are the plans she used to plan it out.

The ground level, where all of the eating and drinking is done.  Wait a minute, bones!?  Who's on hauling duty today...Kivish?  I'm going to have a word with him.

Part of the dome, note Ast in the corridor to the north.  She's carrying blocks to go work on the fortifications to the west.

The top of the dome.  I would have liked to make it even higher, but any further up and it would have been above-ground.  Then again, would that have been a tragedy?  I'll keep that in mind if we decide that it needs some improvement.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 09, 2008, 05:21:11 pm »

2nd Limestone, 208
Libash must not have been as badly injured as we thought.  He's back on his feet and insists on completing his interrupted guard duty.  He must be a glutton for punishment.  Crazy dwarf.  Then again, I shouldn't complain since guard duty is the most dangerous in the entire...fort?  Yes, I suppose our settlement could be considered a kind of fort.  Very well, I shall refer to Scarbasement as such when I write in this log in the future.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 05:30:14 pm by Dame de la Licorne »

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 09, 2008, 05:37:36 pm »

14th Limestone, 208
Okay, that's it, I've HAD it!  They dared to ambush me!  Of course they paid with their lives, but the sheer gall of those goblins!  The gate is closing, and opening only to let the caravans in (if we remember) or out.  Otherwise at this rate we'll never get anything done.  Fortunately no one was seriously injured this time, the worst injuries being my bruised hand, and rather more bruised pride.  But considering our track record, that was sheer luck.  So it's time to bunker down and wait, and watch.

(OOC: Durien is the purple guy, Libash is on the north side of the entrance and Vucar is on the south.  And in case anyone was wondering, they're the only two I can really spare for semi-permanent military duty.)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 05:43:09 pm by Dame de la Licorne »

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 09, 2008, 07:15:05 pm »

13th Sandstone, 208
We let the dwarven caravan in, apparently after they had yelled themselves practically hoarse.  And then, there was so much to do to get the depot ready that they would have left without any trading taking place if Litast hadn't stepped in.  That guy's become a rather decent trader in a very short time.  Hopefully it will be a one-off though, because trading's my job.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 09, 2008, 08:05:14 pm »

6th Opal, 208
With the gate closed, we can finally all concentrate on making a dent in the to-do list without worries that the goblins will interrupt at the (of course) most inopportune time.  Among other things, I've been working on drawing up plans for each of the great temples.  Datan's is partially complete, and Zuglar showed me her design for the decoration.  I must say, she is quite the artist, perhaps I should ask her to do some engravings around the fort...?
In other news, Arnmod has grown to become a peasant, lowest of the dwarven classes.  In according with age-old tradition, he will have to work his way up through the ranks.  I believe I will have him start basic training while I decide what tasks to assign him.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 09, 2008, 08:13:25 pm »

8th Opal, 208
Arnmod has picked up a crossbow and some bolts and has gone to make use of the new archery targets.  He will have to get some wrestling training eventually, but only when there is a suitable sparring partner available.  Now back to these temple plans...

« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 08:18:48 pm by Dame de la Licorne »

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 09, 2008, 08:35:07 pm »

1st Obsidian, 208
Arnmod has gained quite a bit of skill in shooting, and we consider him to be a novice at it now.  Vucar has offered to teach him the basics of sparring, but considering that they don't like each other I'm rather suspicious of her motives.  I'll ask Libash or Kivish if they would be willing to spar with him.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 10, 2008, 07:17:48 pm »

23rd Granite, 209
I was hoping that the elves had forgotten about us this year, but they've been outside calling to us to open the gates for some trading to take place.  I'm of a mind to leave them outside to rot.  We don't need any of their junk or cloth.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 10, 2008, 07:21:09 pm »

15th Slate, 209
Well, the elves certainly seem to be more persistant than I gave them credit for.  I'll open the gates and see what they want, with Libash, Vucar and Arnmod standing by, just in case.

Later
Hmph.  No sooner had we opened the gates than the elves decided to leave.  Ungrateful bastards.  And now we have to deal with the mountain gnomes that ran into our cage traps during the brief time the gates were open.  Libash says that they can't be trained, so I wonder if they make good eating?  I suppose, worst comes to worst, Arnmod can turn them into pincushions, give him some practice against live targets.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 10, 2008, 07:31:20 pm »

23rd Felsite, 209
"Hey, Durien?  Yer busy?"  Ast came up to where Durien was taking account of the stockpile contents in one of the storerooms.
"Nuthin' tha' can' wai'."  He replied, turning towards his friend.  "Whut's got yer ser excited?"
"Cum'n see!"  Ast turned and hurried out of the room and down the hallway, glancing over his shoulder to make sure Durien was following along.
They made their way to Ast's workshop, to Durien's confusion.  "Yeah, 's'a fine werkshop, bu' wha'ser great 'bou' it?"
Ast just grinned, waving towards the cabinet standing in the middle of the workarea, where he had just finished it.  "Ainnit grand?"
Durien took a closer look.  "Hmmm, i'does loo' like a masterpiece, fer sure."
Ast was almost bouncing up and down.  "My firs' one!  I'm givin' it ter yer.  I figure yer th' on'y dwarf wha' could've kep' us safe so far."
"Thanks m'frien', have't put in my bedroom, ser's I can admire't ever' day."

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 11, 2008, 08:34:34 am »

10th Hematite, 209
The humans came, and were smart enough to come to the budding to call out to us.  We opened the gates, and were caught speechless by what we saw.  Only three mules and camels!  Where were the wagons?  Last year they'd brought five wagons and many pack animals, and this year they send only three and no wagons!?
But we were not given much time to gawp, as the goblins are sneakier than I gave them credit for.  They attacked while the gates were open to admit the traders.  Fortunately Libash and Arnmod were on duty and took care of the problem.  While Libash charged them, Arnmod concentrated his fire on one of the goblins, of greater girth than the others (probably because that was the only one he felt he could hit, he is only marginally skilled after all), and then, when he ran out of bolts, went up and clobbered him to death with the crossbow (one of Vucar's), calmly as you please.  She nearly died of horror.  Apparently crossbows are not supposed to be used as hammers, and she told Arnmod so.  He nearly hit her with it, and it is only through my intervention that murder was not committed.  I'm keeping a close eye on those two. 

Later
It seems the fat goblin Arnmod killed was actually a dwarf.  A dwarf!  A cleanshaven dwarf!  Did he have no pride?  Our beards are our pride and joy, what dwarf, sane or insane, would willingly remove it and, having done so, dare to show himself in public!?

More rantings and ravings on the same topic fill the rest of the page.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 08:36:19 am by Dame de la Licorne »

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 11, 2008, 08:41:58 am »

19th Malachite
I've decided to assign Ablel to learn some basic wrestling with Arnmod.  Spending all her time in the mines the way she does, her military skills are less than worthy, even though she is quite lethal with that pick when she gets mad.  Once he's picked up wrestling, I may have him switch to hammering, since he seems to mistake his crossbow for one every so often.  Maybe he's trying to tell be something?

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 11, 2008, 08:59:50 am »

23rd Malachite, 209
I've finally spoken to the traders about the lack of wagons, and apparently the wagoneers took one look at the closed gate and decided to bypass it because the depot was inaccessible. Well of course it was inaccessible, that was the point of closing the gate!  If they'd just hung around a few days, the gate would have opened and the depot would have been accessible!  For Armok's sake!  But how to rectify this next time?  This will bear some thought.

Grath

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 11, 2008, 12:44:18 pm »

Decoy depot outside the gates which can be sealed off when the traders show up, after you open the gates?
Alternatively, just leave the gates open.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21