Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21

Author Topic: The Histories of Scarbasement  (Read 13471 times)

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
Re: The Histories of Scarbasement
« Reply #120 on: November 08, 2008, 06:57:39 pm »

Dame Licorne has crafted Scarbasement, a story fortress!

It is encircled with bands of awesome, and menaces with spikes of clever dialogue.  On the story is an image of dwarves killing goblins in text.

Seriously, shweet.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 08, 2008, 09:50:34 pm »

11th Granite, 207
The elves returned, bringing some logs.  I don't think the gods even know why they're willing to sell logs, but refuse to accept any wooden items whatsoever.  At any rate, I liberated the wood, and also another hoary marmot they saw fit to bring.  More meat for our stores.  Now I really have to get that butcher's shop set up, preferably someplace the elves will never see it. 
I did ask them a few questions though, such as why they always brought clothes to fit elves, and all of these wooden bracelets, crowns and other junk crafts.  They said something about "The Great Spirit having given permission for these few trinkets to be traded to the non-believers and tree-defilers in the hope that [we] would see the light."  Whatever.  I absolutely refused to take any of them, even as gifts.  We don't need more junk cluttering up our home.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 09:59:18 pm by Dame de la Licorne »
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 08, 2008, 10:58:26 pm »

4th Hematite, 207
The gods have heard my prayers!  Zuglar is well again, and our small settlement is fully functional again, or as fully as it can be, with only ten adults to the work and five children who only help with harvesting.  At least work divided by ten is less work than that divided by six, which was the case last year.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 08, 2008, 11:10:59 pm »

12th Hematite, 207
I still can't believe it, and yet the evidence is right in our front yard.  Five kobold wrestlers attacked us today, none of them survived.  I'm surprised they're that brave, normally they're skulking around searching for easy looting.  I seem to recall tales, from when I was child in Olon Thasdoth, that occasionally kobolds would attack if their thieves stole enough goods from a specific settlement.  I suppose, considering all the stuff that's been lying around outside while we were too few to put it away, kobolds could have made off with quite a bit of it.  Well, we'll just put a stop to it, that's all.
I do wonder what's happened to the goblins, it's been nearly a year since their last raid with no sign of them.  I don't like this waiting.  At least when they were raiding every few months we knew what to expect.  However, it is giving us a breather, and I have ordered Ast to construct a massive door to close off our entrance entirely in the case of an invasion.  The more fortified our entrance, the happier I'll be.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 08, 2008, 11:44:43 pm »

14th Hematite, 207
The humans are back, bringing somewhat less useless stuff than the elves.  At least they bring wood, lots of it.  I bought all that they had, as we always seem to be short barrels and bins for storage and I prefer to save our metal for defensive and offensive purposes.  They also brought 13, count them, thirteen anvils.  As if we still needed them!  And even if we did need more than one, we can make better quality ones ourselves, once we have a single one.  With all that weight, they didn't have much else of interest other than cheese.  Cheese is the one thing we can't make at all, and we all love it so I bought all the traders had brought.  I think I'll add that to my list of requests for next years caravan.  At least it might prevent them from bringing quite so many anvils.  Stupid humans.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 09, 2008, 10:24:46 am »

13th Limestone, 207
This time the elves have brought quite a few steel bars and a lot of armor and weapons.  I have bought nearly all of it, for if we don't use it we can always melt it down and make something out of it.  Litast is beside himself at the sight of real steel bars.  Making it is such a chore for a single dwarf, since he must work two different workshops to make the steel, and then cart it over to the forge to make something useful out of it.
With all of the trading I've been doing, it has become very difficult for the traders to pull a fast one on me, but conversely it has also become almost ridiculously easy to convince them that this goblin junk I use in my trading is actually worth something, hehehe.  I believe I will now start to call myself a legendary appraiser, it seems fitting enough.

OOC: Kanute, I'm not sure when Arnmod will grow up (he arrived in the fall of 201, so anytime in the next 4 years or so, if my math is right), but is there any specific job you'd like him to do?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 10:28:48 am by Dame de la Licorne »

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 09, 2008, 11:22:57 am »

13th Timber, 207
Kib gave birth to another girl last night and has named her Likot.  Likot?  Ink?  Is she trying to tell me this infant will become the next manager/bookkeeper?  What's wrong with the way I do things!?  We've survived until now, haven't we?

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 09, 2008, 11:58:11 am »

26th Moonstone, 207
The fortifications on the second level of our tower are proceeding, slowly but surely, and I have been making bone bolts for target practice.  I've decided to store the bolts on the walkway behind the fortifications, so no marksdwarf will ever have to walk a long way to get more ammo when they run out.  One of the bad decisions at Olon Thasdoth was to have a central weapon stockpile which held the bolts as well, and it would take a marksdwarf an hour to go from their position to the stockpile to reload and then back to their assigned position.  We will not make that same mistake here.

I've also just received word that our cat has given birth to a female kitten.  What?  Oh that's right, the humans brought a male cat, that I didn't want to buy.  I've heard stories of some of the best forts slowing down irreversibly from too many cats.  We only need one cat, so I've ordered the mother slaughtered, the kitten will serve us well for the forseeable future.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 09, 2008, 12:44:38 pm »

1st Granite, 208
What are the goblins doing?  It has now been over a year with no sign of Tuxumstozu and, although I've tried to hide it form the others, I'm worried.  I believe I shall break our code of silence and enquire, discreetly of course, the next time traders come by.  Not the elves, they can't be trusted, but maybe the humans or the dwarves would have some information, even if it is only rumor.
Going through my yearly review of the books, I've noticed a few things.  1) I don't think we need to worry about food for a while.  2) Libash seems to have been training every dog in sight, as we now have 56 war dogs.  I've told him to cease and desist.  He can help Ast put up the fortifications.

Also, with nearly ten dogs injured to some extent from their goblin encounters, we are all gaining quite a bit of skill in animal healing.  It's a pity it doesn't seem to be healing the dogs.  Hmm.  Maybe, even though Libash may be considered legendary, still none of us are skilled enough?  Something to think about...
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 12:57:40 pm by Dame de la Licorne »

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 09, 2008, 01:10:10 pm »

18th Granite, 208
They caught us unprepared, for we have grown lax.  The elves had arrived, and we were busy hauling unnecessary elf-friendly junk to the depot...and forgot to guard the gate.  The two chained dogs, brave creatures both, howled the warning.  Tuxumstozu had returned, a single squad led by a human bowman.  The dogs managed to kill one of the goblins, but both were dead by the time I, Vucar and Libash responded to their fierce cries.  The traps took care of most of the goblins, but we had built them too small and the human made it past.  She didn't last long though, between the three of us we were able to bring her down within moments.  Our only injury is Vucar's broken nose, a result of the human kicking her in the face when she wasn't able to dodge quickly enough.  Though a minor wound, it is enough to send her to her bed.  I trust she'll heal more quickly this time than the last.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 09, 2008, 02:33:03 pm »

22nd Granite, 208
Nearly a dozen more goblins descended upon us today, meeting up with Libash and his dogs before our gates.  The dogs ripped the goblins apart, defending their master and I myself went out with my trusty axe to lend Libash some help.  For a few minutes I feared I would arrive too late to save him, but in the end I was able to push the goblins back away from his battered and bleeding body.  None of these goblins escaped, but Libash is badly wounded.  Well, someone will come to help him to bed.  Now with both Vucar and Libash injured, who can I spare for sentry duty...?  And, more seriously, many of our dogs lie dead on the battlefield, or are too wounded for proper fighting.  Perhaps it is time to seriously consider sealing the gates for a few years.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 02:35:48 pm by Dame de la Licorne »

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 09, 2008, 03:08:13 pm »

Going Vault 13 for a few years will certainly make a good storyline.
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
They're like little bearded corals.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 09, 2008, 03:27:52 pm »

7th Hematite, 208
Vucar is up and around again, though her nose has now developed a bump which I maintain gives her character, but she's very self-conscious about it.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 09, 2008, 03:35:55 pm »

16th Hematite, 208
The humans came back, with only four anvils this time.  It seems they haven't quite got the hint.  They did bring plenty of cheese, and wagonloads of useless crafts and toys.  Trying to pawn their useless junk on us?  Not on my watch!  We already have more unnecessary stuff than we could trade away in a decade just from the goblin leavings, we don't need more.  The humans also brought more wood.  Even though our stockpiles are full, I took the lot since I think we can never have too much squirreled away.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 09, 2008, 03:51:20 pm »

Nice work on those walls.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21