Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Three Panel Soul DF t-shirt  (Read 1775 times)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
Re: Three Panel Soul DF t-shirt
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 10:14:17 pm »

I'm so gonna embrace my dork side and order this... if only that "true wealth" quote was on it...
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

Spoggerific

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 11:33:55 pm »

See this thread. I don't really think this is a good idea. It's making money off of Toady's hard work...

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 01:01:10 am »

Yeeeah. They've really dropped the ball if they're planning to make this thing and they haven't discussed it with Toady (which may have happened behind the scenes, for all we know) At the very least Matt, the writer, has interviewed Toady before, and I'm pretty sure Toady's reluctance to merchandise DF was brought up.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 01:32:25 am »

See this thread. I don't really think this is a good idea. It's making money off of Toady's hard work...

Crap! I searched for this beforehand and everything. Just didn't enter good terms I guess. Sorry 'bout that... :-\

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 02:02:50 am »

I really hope Toady was asked about this :(   Especially since he explicitly told people before not to make DF shirts.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 03:32:16 am »

It is essentially just an artistic allusion to the game, so selling that is well within their rights, it's just a matter of whether or not credit is given or permission acquired... purely for the sake of not being rude.

In all reality they don't need permission to do that. It's just proper to do it anyhow.

Seeing as how no explicit mention of DF is made, this is not any sort of infringement. If that kind of cultural reference were disallowed then a whole slew of literary, artistic, and other works would be in murky legal waters.

It is simply good form, however, to ask for the blessing of the party whose work you reference.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 03:37:56 am by MuonDecay »

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 04:04:00 am »

I put my reply in the first thread:  here
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!