Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: You have struck *Uselessites*!  (Read 4767 times)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
Re: You have struck *Uselessites*!
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2008, 09:38:35 pm »

Moss  Agate/ opals look nice in wood.

Seriously, what use are jewels? Or, more accurately, what's the use of a jeweler? I'm really starting to wonder.

[...]

Well Df is not just an game its an "Fantasy world simulator" (didnt toady state that somewhere?) so it trys to simulate an realistic "world".

In the old days Gems were mined cause they looked nice, the people belived in theyr powers (Amethyst against getting drunken, Topaz for clearing the Mind etc.), Statussymbols, and even as currency.

To top that its extraordinary dwarfen to have an steelaxe with gold an silver inlays plus 12 Diamonds on the blade.

Many Gems had over the time many actual use like Corunds (Rubys/Saphires) in high precision mechanics. "Mary glass" for Realworld Gemwindows. Some Gems, cause of double friction etc. were used in Optics. Diamonds in "Granite saws".

The only thing i dont like on the Gemsetter is that he cant break an gem from the item the gem is on for example from that damnit Larch-cages my Elves are bringing. I mean seriously Rubys on an "Larch cage"?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 09:47:19 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2008, 10:19:27 pm »

"To top that its extraordinary dwarfen to have an steelaxe with gold an silver inlays plus 12 Diamonds on the blade"

Which is what really annoys me. I can't.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2008, 10:56:54 pm »

Moss  Agate/ opals look nice in wood.

I was thinking of the more expensive stuff, various more expensive diamonds and star gems. Black would be pretty neutral. Gem encrusted furniture will be tacky regardless of what gem is chosen so guess the goal is to minimize the imagined aesthetic damage while increasing value

As for armor.. Steel base so I suppose platinum is out of the question since it barely differs from the base material's color. Red diamonds look pretty evil so those should be a good choice and maybe a gold finish

Probably gonna go with kobold bones. Or are elves more valuable?

ikkonoishi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2008, 11:22:22 pm »

Probably gonna go with kobold bones. Or are elves more valuable?
If I recall properly bones don't have value. Only skulls for totems. I could very well be wrong.
Our Dwarven instincts compel us to run blindly towards disaster in case there may be a ☼<☼giant cave spider silk sock☼>☼ lying around.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2008, 11:24:29 pm »

The bones themselves are worthless, but they increase goods they are applied to by a certain amount depending on the origin of the bone.

I suggest you use elf bone, Pilsu. I know for a fact that goblin and kobold bone is as expensive as turtle bone, but I'm not sure about elves. They might happen to have more valuable bones.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2008, 12:00:09 am »

You should encrust anvils with them.

No no no...

you should encrust them with anvils!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2008, 12:07:30 am »

Well Pilsu i would go for an organic design (Its my taste and i dont play dwarfes actually). Means that the furniture should somehow resemble the/an plant. For this i would use green gems or Green metals (i use Green gold) as leaves (with real gold or silver for details) and red, yellow, light blue and white crystals for blossoms.

Hey that brings me an idea.

Marlowe: Get your axe and let it stud with silver and Gold after that you bring it to the "Gemsetter" (With the Gemsetter job not the Cutter job) and let this guy encrust the axe with 12 diamons.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2008, 12:11:09 am »

But you CAN'T. You can only encrust finished goods, furniture, and ammo. I'm not even sure if you can get the axe studded.

Alopix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2008, 12:20:28 am »

You can tell the value modifier on bones/leather etc of various creatures by looking at the raws. MOD_VALUE or something. The data is the multiplier, the default is 1 if there's no tag.
Nothing like a romantic dinner of raw mushrooms in the glow of pure hate and destruction

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2008, 03:00:16 am »

Hmm, doesn't look like anything I have access to has any special mod value. Other than cows and cave fish but both sound stupid

Elven bones might be troublesome to get since my military sucks and I don't have much in the way of defenses. How do I get them, just close the depot and let them starve or?

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2008, 03:53:28 am »

Hmm, doesn't look like anything I have access to has any special mod value. Other than cows and cave fish but both sound stupid

Elven bones might be troublesome to get since my military sucks and I don't have much in the way of defenses. How do I get them, just close the depot and let them starve or?

Starving them does tend to work, yes.

I've locked them in my castle by accident before. They went mad and wandered around harmlessly until they died and bequeathed me their goods.

Fat lot of good that did me of course, stupid cloth-hoarders.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2008, 04:21:15 am »

They just showed up with more dead animals. I'm definitely using elf bone if the morons refuse to keep the animals warm. This cold biome bug is starting to get irritating

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2008, 04:43:50 am »

Greetings! We come bearing itchy cloth thongs and rotting carcasses! Let us discuss prices!

(sounds of rocks falling and horrible, horrible screams)

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2008, 06:24:57 am »

Jewelers become very useful if you have access to magma and sand.  If you have a noble or nobles mandating the construction of large gems, having your jewelers cut a load of raw green glass into gems is an easy way to fulfil the mandates.  You have an essentially infinite supply of raw green glass gems, and so can have your gem cutters work endlessly cutting them, and your gem setters work endlessly encrusting them onto things.  It doesn't really matter what things, anything and everything, even bone bolts.  Your jewelers all get lots of practice, your stuff all gets slightly more valuable.  Giving peasants, soap makers &c. the "gem cutter" or "gem setter" labour and letting them do a little work means they have a chance of going into a gem-based strange mood, and they will often only want one raw gem to work with.  Moreover, they can sometimes make some really cool furniture - like a diamond barrel, say! - and items out of gems.

And of course once you do have legendary gem setters, as people mentioned above, if they encrust the very valuable gems onto items they can generate a huge amount of value.
Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2008, 06:34:56 am »

But you CAN'T. You can only encrust finished goods, furniture, and ammo. I'm not even sure if you can get the axe studded.

Yes, we need to be able to stud more things with more things, IMO. In fact, i'd quite like some extra arrangement for decorations worked on soon in the development!

Heck, i want to arm my army/fort/royal guard in plate Armour that's decorated in accordance with their position: silver /gold/Platinum respectively. Then stud them with some gems.
Magma is overrated.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4