Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: 2,5D Dwarf Fortress with 16bit Sprites?  (Read 21247 times)

Lokomotivet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
2,5D Dwarf Fortress with 16bit Sprites?
« on: October 12, 2008, 04:17:41 am »

I have seen this before and forgot about it, it just striked me again and i have to ask; what the fudge is this? Shame though I only managed to find one bad image on this but anyone with knowledge about this gets the idea.

http://img527.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1223794035524kb9.jpg

All I know is that it is Dwarf Fortress related, somehow.

Anyone?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 04:20:56 am by Lokomotivet »

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
Re: 2,5D Dwarf Fortress with 16bit Sprites?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 04:47:59 am »

I remember seeing it when there was a link to some article speculating on how the game would make a killing (for someone, somewhere) if ported over to the nintendo DS, impossibility notwithstanding. In other words, it has very little to do with DF reality, present or near future.

Lokomotivet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 04:53:56 am »

Cheers.
I'd really try a DF with that graphic setup.

Xehon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 05:06:45 am »

This image reminds me of an idea for a revamped height system. Instead of current Z-levels, we would have Z-levels that are only 1/7th the height. This way we could have smooth water to land transitions, no more ambiguous "floors" which seem to have no thickness, it would be easier to make a system for rainwater collection, ramps would be obsolete as creatures could "climb" smooth differentials in height naturally and huge creatures like the titan and the bronze tinman could climb steeper heights(Imagine a one of them stepping over your walls).

I know that this a little ambitious, but it would give a lot of improvements to the game.

ChJees

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 05:08:16 am »

The Terrain Data will be 7 times bigger too :P.

Xehon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 05:25:11 am »

Not necessarily. Most Data would still be for blocks of 7. Stuff like material info and the like Terrain would be just like water, x/7. Oh, and this would allow to have less than 7/7 water freeze realistically.

nagual678

• Bay Watcher
  • Noble Sam says: I want YOU for the Fortress Guard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 05:33:57 am »

I'm still eager for Toady to implement a graphic engine capable of rendering stuff like in that picture. Right now my biggest problem with it is not being able to see anything from a given z level to the others.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 06:06:33 am »

I have seen this before and forgot about it, it just striked me again and i have to ask; what the fudge is this? Shame though I only managed to find one bad image on this but anyone with knowledge about this gets the idea.

http://img527.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1223794035524kb9.jpg

All I know is that it is Dwarf Fortress related, somehow.

Anyone?

This is quite old. We had a topic about tilesets back in time.

Check out this topic:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=5582.0

The artist who runs this site -> http://spriteattack.cator.de made that mockup.
Here is it:
http://spriteattack.cator.de/df/show/

Lokomotivet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 07:45:13 am »

This is quite old. We had a topic about tilesets back in time.

Check out this topic:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=5582.0

The artist who runs this site -> http://spriteattack.cator.de made that mockup.
Here is it:
http://spriteattack.cator.de/df/show/
[/quote]

Damn that looks sweet!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 08:46:49 am »

Not necessarily. Most Data would still be for blocks of 7. Stuff like material info and the like Terrain would be just like water, x/7. Oh, and this would allow to have less than 7/7 water freeze realistically.

So if I have 4/7 obsidian and 3/7 granite, which is on top?  What about 2/7 obsidian, 3/7 granite and 2/7 obsidian?  Are they the same?

brainfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2008, 02:24:43 pm »

if ported over to the nintendo DS

Maybe a cheesy knock-off Dwarf Fortress DS (DFDS for short), where you're a cheesemaker and your quest is to find the perfect fortress to settle at. You could even throw in a random name generator.
You can allow or stop your dwarves from eating these mushrooms, but it's entirely optional and doesn't turn Dwarf Fortress into Dwarf hookah-smoking pad.

Novocain

• Bay Watcher
  • Huh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 02:26:28 pm »

So if I have 4/7 obsidian and 3/7 granite, which is on top?  What about 2/7 obsidian, 3/7 granite and 2/7 obsidian?  Are they the same?
A way around that would be to only allow a tile to have limited types. It could have a biome-designation, which would describe soil availability/composition, and a designation for the type of stone, which would limited to only one object.

My main issue would be displaying it. You would either need an extraordinarily complex display/mining/construction system which would be painful to use(so that you'd know which tiles were usable, and so that you'd be able to set the mining/constructions to be usable), or a full 2,5/3D interface(which would still make designations a bit obnoxious). Unless you have some ideas for that, considering the current interface of z-levels would only be able to give useful information with a division of only one(as it is now), possibly up to three or four.

A second question of mine would be whether or not this should be expanded to give each square's x- and y-based layering as well, to be completely fair to those of us that are huge fans of these under-represented dimensions. This would result in 7^3 = 343 Intuitively Derived and Described Material Cubes(TM) per tile, giving us quite a handy tool for quickly reading a tile's most important characteristics, and allowing for more accurately represented rounded corners. Of course, one could ask if this would be too much to store in memory, but really, if you do out the math, it would only give us around 6,303,744 more bits per mapsquare per z-level. On my current map of 9s x 9s x 89-z, this would be only 45443690496 extra bits!  That's only ~5.3 GB, and anyone that doesn't have at least 12GB of RAM on their Dwarf Fortress computer is an undedicated coward and should be made into mittens post haste.

Though, of course, the real use of this system would be to allow us to fit up to 342 more creatures in each tile before they have to start laying down. ;)

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2008, 04:46:16 pm »

Isometric Dwarf Fortress. Sweeeeet.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2008, 05:20:12 pm »

Not this shit again.

That image is a piss-poor representation of what DF would look like in any sort of graphical view (what's up with the z-levels), and representing a game like DF with isometric graphics would be an exercise in headaches and pain for all involved.

This comes up every once in a while and it just makes me want to shoot that frigging image.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2008, 05:26:49 pm »

Not this shit again.

That image is a piss-poor representation of what DF would look like in any sort of graphical view (what's up with the z-levels), and representing a game like DF with isometric graphics would be an exercise in headaches and pain for all involved.

This comes up every once in a while and it just makes me want to shoot that frigging image.

Chill, and try to be objective. Also, z-levels could easily work from an isometric perspective. [layers] Personally my opinion is: full 2d graphical support will be perfectly enough. [Separating text and all images]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5