Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Excited at next version...  (Read 4069 times)

Rakeela

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Excited at next version...
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2008, 07:48:33 pm »

I had an arrogant engraver once.  Fittingly, most of the things he carved was:  "This is an image of a dwarf.  The dwarf is engraving."  Occasionally there was something like (I paraphrase, I don't remember exactly): 'This is an image of a dwarf and an engraving.  The dwarf is admiring the engraving.'

To be fair, most of what happened in that fort was him engraving things.  Legendary engraver amidst a bunch of rubes so far in the middle of nowhere that neither the traders nor the migrants ever come.
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the blood god, for it is a dwarven number.  It's number is five-hundred and eighty nine.
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=53222.0

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2008, 04:27:49 pm »

Personally, I think engravers in strange moods should engrave strange things.
"This is a picture of a plump helmet and an elk. They are preparing gabbro stew. The dish runs away with the spoon."
End the slaughter of dorf kittens!
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
-Albert Schweitzer

Drunken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2008, 05:45:04 pm »

I don't think that will happen until the pschoactive substances arc
A stopped clock is right for exactly two infinitessimal moments every day.
A working clock on the other hand is almost never ever exactly right.

MiamiBryce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2008, 08:44:10 pm »

I'm only excited in that it'll be done and Toady will be on to something else.  Personally, I don't understand implementing more advanced army control when we have so much trouble with just getting the dwarves to do even the simplest things required to assemble an army.  Sure we can assemble large armies - BUT - it is because we have accepted that dwarves are - lets be honest - broken AI - and we modify our play style accordingly.

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2008, 10:38:30 pm »

But we assemble the most amazing ethnography of the dwarven culture in the process. Personally, not in a rush for the Army stuff, as a new player I'm still happy building but good programs are advanced by programmer motivation, if the Army Arc is where Toady is at then go for it. The more fun the T-Man has, the more fun we have. Plus some things might transfer over and be more functional, like carrying weapons while outside, army reserves and maybe using the promotion structure to dictate ranking of tasks for civilian work. Put your most skilled carp... OK, I admit to stretching for that last point, but it's good exercise.  ;D

Heh, "psychoactive substances arc." That kills me. "Lazy McTrader cancels trade, the walls are talking to him."
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
-Albert Schweitzer

trav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2008, 12:53:26 am »

I'm not so psyched about the next version...  I reckon it'll be good, but I'm really hanging out for a release that adds the ability to affect the world outside your embark location, civ level interactions.

I think that's a ways off yet though

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2008, 03:50:33 am »

I'm only excited in that it'll be done and Toady will be on to something else.  Personally, I don't understand implementing more advanced army control when we have so much trouble with just getting the dwarves to do even the simplest things required to assemble an army.  Sure we can assemble large armies - BUT - it is because we have accepted that dwarves are - lets be honest - broken AI - and we modify our play style accordingly.

Check Toady's recent posts.  The squad control changes are going to include making them smarter about equipping themselves, etc.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2008, 08:45:30 am »

I'm not so psyched about the next version...  I reckon it'll be good, but I'm really hanging out for a release that adds the ability to affect the world outside your embark location, civ level interactions.

I think that's a ways off yet though

Army Arc + Diplomacy.  :)
Yeah diplomacy is on the dev list of course. It will be awesome when it's gonna be coded in. Once the Army Arc is implemented, you will be able to send out patrols/armies + attack enemy sites. I'm not sure that what does Toady has in mind about Diplomacy, and that when will he work on that part of the game, but I surely can't wait to see a good diplo system.  :)

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2008, 09:08:01 am »

Yeah diplomacy is on the dev list of course. It will be awesome when it's gonna be coded in. Once the Army Arc is implemented, you will be able to send out patrols/armies + attack enemy sites. I'm not sure that what does Toady has in mind about Diplomacy, and that when will he work on that part of the game, but I surely can't wait to see a good diplo system.  :)
I'm quite content for the moment with the Simsville (it would have been so cool) vibe of my isolated munchkins. But I hope some form of diplomacy is included or followed up with.

I'd hate to see abandonment due to wars without end become a recurring theme. The heavy focus on the military and neglect of the diplomacy aspects in FreeCiv always kept me away.
---------
-Albert Schweitzer

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2008, 03:32:12 pm »

I'm quite content for the moment with the Simsville (it would have been so cool) vibe of my isolated munchkins. But I hope some form of diplomacy is included or followed up with.

I'd hate to see abandonment due to wars without end become a recurring theme. The heavy focus on the military and neglect of the diplomacy aspects in FreeCiv always kept me away.

Well yeah, diplomacy should be very important, especially when we will have a fully functional Army Arc. Perhaps Toady will work on diplomacy meanwhile, or after he coded in the basic Army Arc stuff. That would be quite logical, but it's really up to him.  :)

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2008, 05:02:06 pm »

I'm guessing either expander caravan and trading, as it's sort of related and he might be able to head off save breakage now or he'll do something completely unrelated for a change of pace. So what I'm saying is he'll do something.
---------
-Albert Schweitzer

Ezuku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2008, 10:58:35 am »

Ah... the new dev now is even more exciting than the last...

Putting in the old interesting stuff from 2D, better chasm civs, multiple layer features... this is so awesome!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2008, 12:19:46 pm »

Seriously, that stuff has me really excited.  Between that, squad control, and the more complex bodies, next version is shaping up to be incredible.

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2008, 02:45:02 pm »

Since Toady's numbers (Core69, etc.) seem to be assigned as he adds to them and he develops them as interest and expediency recommend, I wonder if he might give us a little spoiler of some of what he's been thinking of doing after this portion of the ArmyArc.
---------
-Albert Schweitzer

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2008, 03:30:53 pm »

I never played the 2d version, so I'm really looking forward to features that spawn things.  I wonder what new surprises will come up.  Perhaps magma rivers will return?
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4