Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Excited at next version...  (Read 4072 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Excited at next version...
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2008, 05:01:22 pm »

I get completely fucking OCD about DF and I've still never done that.  Wow.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2008, 05:13:59 pm »

I do it when I'm lining up a story.  I want a dwarf to have roughly the same personality traits as the character I have in mind.

Even though it has absolutely no effect on anything whatsoever.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2008, 10:30:02 pm »

Seriously, is anyone else really *really* excited at the next version?

Just from reading the dev nows, I feel like Christmas is coming with the updates we'll recieve. Of course, it'll probably make the game too easy when military dwarves stop acting retarded, but wow, it's going to be awesome.

The funny thing is, that this next update will probably be finished at Christmas time.

Strangething

• Bay Watcher
  • Slizardman
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2008, 01:08:33 am »

People actually pay attention to dwarven personalities while assigning jobs?

If a dwarf likes iron, you just gotta make him an armorer. Anyone who likes beds is a natural carpenter, too.

coldstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold stone given life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2008, 01:32:49 am »

UBER CHALLENGE: get a king and kill him before toady releases this save breaker

Someone make a quick list of whats coming? and when?

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2008, 02:35:36 am »

Dwarves that like materials and objects supposedly receive a skill bonus

Even if they don't, I like my crafters to be artsy and my artisans to strive for excellence. And it's always fun to find a dwarf who seethes with rage, hates people and other assorted traits. Then proceed to make him the Captain of the Guard just for giggles and watch him singlehandedly annihilate sieges

Always a good idea to get a peasant with agreeable material likes to do absolutely nothing but make friends. Makes for a good mayor, at least if he's good with people

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2008, 05:46:19 am »

Personally, I feel DF is extremely bad for me as a gamer. It sends my expectations way way too high.

I mean, if toady promises something, or mentions it, like "You'll be able to start underwater civilizations" then by the gods you WILL AND IT WILL BE AS FUN OR BETTER THAN ANYTHING THAT CAME BEFORE!

If EA mentions something about it, then it'll be poorly done for an extra twenty dollars with the third expansion pack.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2008, 06:33:16 am »

And it's always fun to find a dwarf who seethes with rage, hates people and other assorted traits. Then proceed to make him the Captain of the Guard just for giggles and watch him singlehandedly annihilate sieges.

Heh.  I try to pick the nicest dwarfs to be Captains of the Guard.

My present Hammerer also has a bunch of "really nice person honestly" personality traits.  I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but one of my dwarfs was sentenced to 9 Hammer Strikes for exporting something that a noble had forbidden.  The poor sap survived being beaten although they later died of starvation 'cause no bugger fed them while they were in bed, grr which I like to think was down to the Hammerer having an attack of guilt.

THWACK!
"Aaarrrggghh!  My pancreas!"
THWACK!
"Aaaaaarrrghhhh have mercy, Cog!  For the love of Stetnin I didn't realise there was an amulet in that bin!"
thwack
thwack
thwack...
Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2008, 06:54:15 am »

I'm just looking forward to not having all my well-positioned marksdwarves run off because the squad leader decides to take a leak or something...

Ezuku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2008, 07:21:55 am »

And it's always fun to find a dwarf who seethes with rage, hates people and other assorted traits. Then proceed to make him the Captain of the Guard just for giggles and watch him singlehandedly annihilate sieges.

Heh.  I try to pick the nicest dwarfs to be Captains of the Guard.

My present Hammerer also has a bunch of "really nice person honestly" personality traits.  I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but one of my dwarfs was sentenced to 9 Hammer Strikes for exporting something that a noble had forbidden.  The poor sap survived being beaten although they later died of starvation 'cause no bugger fed them while they were in bed, grr which I like to think was down to the Hammerer having an attack of guilt.

THWACK!
THWACK!
"Aaaaaarrrghhhh have mercy, Cog!  For the love of Stetnin I didn't realise there was an amulet in that bin!"
thwack
thwack
thwack...

The concept of the hammerer being a nice guy freaks me out. Can you imagine somebody cheerfully hammering your skull in?

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2008, 08:58:58 am »

People actually pay attention to dwarven personalities while assigning jobs?

Nah, definitely not me. It's kinda pointless atm to assign jobs after personalities imho. This might change in future versions, if the personalities will be more important/influencal.

dermal_plating

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2008, 09:17:51 am »

THWACK!
THWACK!
thwack
thwack
thwack...

LOL
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 09:19:30 am by dermal_plating »

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2008, 09:24:37 am »

Even though it has absolutely no effect on anything whatsoever.

I don't believe this is true. Dutiful dwarves are less likely to be scared away from their current active job by groundhogs, and dwarves that take time making decisions stand around longer between jobs. Dwarves that are prone to over indulgence take longer when eating and drinking. Of course...It could be my imagination. It was more apparent back when I played on a computer that could only manage around 10 FPS on embark, now with 100 most of the time the nuances aren't as noticable with dwarves zooming around everywhere.

I always reroll the starting seven until I get personalites that I'm seeking, and no dwarves that like cats. I also save scum my immigration waves to make sure I get no dwarves that like cats. With waves of 30 or more that can be quite a lot of save scumming.

Maska

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • cvx
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2008, 09:31:41 am »

When embarking I always go through each dwarves' personality and select the one who gets all the social skills. I rule out every thrill seeker and easy-to-displease dwarf, and go for a conservative, social one. The meaning is to keep the leader alive and happy. I also try to get someone who likes simple items, but not important trade goods.
Pakaa - the Monaco of Finland

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2008, 06:09:55 pm »

So who becomes the miner? Oh you like amber opal, native aluminum, donkeys and prefer to eat dwarven whatever the fuck was cooked recently. That's helpful.
I'd like job related attitudes.
Bob McWhatAmI likes working outdoors, plump helmets, rope weed, and dimple cups. He's my farmer.
Mary McUseless likes rocks and digging. She can be my carpenter.
I did get someone who liked crossbows to be my marksman once.
Maybe the tastes can be reflected in work. A mason that likes granite will favor granite when choosing rocks. Or an engraver with a tree fetish will lean towards trees instead of more images of dwarves and dwarves. The dwarves are with the dwarves. The dwarves are laboring. The cheese is screaming.
End the slaughter of dorf kittens!
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
-Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4