Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Has anyone else noticed a massive forum downtime the last few days?  (Read 4333 times)

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone else noticed a massive forum downtime the last few days?
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2008, 10:35:06 pm »

What's to stop you from moving the forum to some freeware forum while keeping the main site on the host you have now? It'd give you only slightly less control, with the added benefit of being, you know, free.

Looking at the user counts I notice we have around 100 users on. I'd say that's about average. I'd also say that is more than enough for a freeware forum to handle. I don't think you run such a huge operation that it wouldn't suffice.

I've had a lot of positive experiences with InvisionFree, though that was many years ago when I was in the administrating forums scene.

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2008, 10:36:42 pm »

So, web hosting companies?  It's difficult to find information on google as there's a lot of chaff there.  I think we've had this discussion before.  It's hard for me to judge.  If I move my site to another shared hosting setup, who's to say it'll have enough resources?  I don't have a way to quantify the number of sql connections I'm making, and as far as I can tell, having the site hosted in a non-shared setup is way too expensive.
There are no guarantees, different companies and even different server admins within those companies have their own determinations as to what they find acceptable or not for shared hosting accounts.

I currently use and quite like Dreamhost (~6.5 TB bandwidth combined for my sites at the moment) but they have been a bit spotty on occasion in the past.
I've heard good things about Lunarpages, though I don't have firsthand experience with them.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 10:40:41 pm by Janus »
Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2008, 10:48:50 pm »

Dreamhost has had a lot of problems for one community I go to (anyone who's heard of Xkeeper will know which one I'm talking about), but we signed up as a test case for a new server system, and it's working like a charm- we haven't had any downtime at all since we were switched to the beta server.
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2008, 10:54:56 pm »

The specific problem they have with me is that I'm making too many SQL database connections by whatever standard they've decided to start using this month on the new server (rather than general bandwidth trouble), so I'm not really sure what sort of plan to get.

There's the ultra-cheap hosting, but I'm not sure if I should step up to something like a VPS.  It looks like less bandwidth for some reason, but the uptime might be better, and perhaps (no idea) the SQL might be more stable.  I suppose I should write them about it (though I expect to be shunted off to whatever is more expensive in that case).  It's really not that expensive, but I don't know if I'd be wasting my money.  I don't want to move over to a free forum since I've got all the messages here, there are no ads, and everything *had* been working fine until this recent nonsense.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 10:58:23 pm by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2008, 11:32:45 pm »

Most hosts should be able to migrate a shared account over to VPS if needed, so I'd say at least try a regular shared account first.
Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2008, 07:30:06 am »

Ever since the forum move, I had had trouble getting on this site, logging on, and posting replies.
This is probably due to the ISP here, and their proxy, but still.

Now, I have the exact same problem, as well as Forum downtime.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2008, 09:11:11 am »

So, web hosting companies?  It's difficult to find information on google as there's a lot of chaff there.  I think we've had this discussion before.  It's hard for me to judge.  If I move my site to another shared hosting setup, who's to say it'll have enough resources?  I don't have a way to quantify the number of sql connections I'm making, and as far as I can tell, having the site hosted in a non-shared setup is way too expensive.

Toady, as I heard Bluehost is decent. http://www.bluehost.com/index.html

personjerry

• Bay Watcher
  • Big Towers = Fun Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2008, 04:14:43 pm »

QDB recently recovered by with help by http://www.idologic.com/
SPOILER ALERT
Build a Trade Depot anywhere on the map.  now hold Shift+D (Depot access display) while viewing a Z-level that has been completely untouched by miners.  All 'normal' stone areas will have big red D's all over them.  Any area with *any* sort of site feature will be blank (no D's). 

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2008, 07:15:57 pm »

You know, you could just ask around here. I wouldn't be surprised if some forum member here had a machine capable of hosting this forum. Huzzah for Apache servers.

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2008, 07:26:56 pm »

You know, you could just ask around here. I wouldn't be surprised if some forum member here had a machine capable of hosting this forum. Huzzah for Apache servers.

Well, not me personally, but one of my clients does website hosting - Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP all supported.

crobbins at ct i pc DOT c aaaauuuuummmmm  (you know the drill, stupid spambots)

FunnyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2008, 10:34:15 pm »

Allow me to chip in a suggestion of http://nearlyfreespeech.net/ .  You could set up a test account for a quarter, then just up the account balance and shift the DNS if it looks to be working well.  And since they don't lock you to one physical server, it'll automatically load-balance as needed.

Edit: Slightly beside the point, but I just had to mention that it's worth reading their FAQ, if only for humor value.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 04:43:57 am by FunnyMan »
Beta Tester's Motto: Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2008, 12:17:15 pm »

Finally, it looks like that Toady has managed to find a new host!  8)

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2008, 12:44:47 pm »

It's good to be back.  Glad to see everything's up and running.  Did we lose anything?
All generalizations are false....including this one.

FunnyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Beta Tester's Motto: Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2008, 03:41:29 pm »

So, has anyone else noticed a massive forum downtime the last few days?
<3
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4